Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Mar 3, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #1,411 of 1,485
hmm. you snooze, you lose? I snoozed. :frowning2:

the z1r was 10% off on amazon late last night. I woke up early today to find the promotion gone. bummer.

Did anyone here pick one up off of Amazon?

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #1,412 of 1,485
Aug 19, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #1,413 of 1,485
Well, Finally got mine, was planning on picking them up in Japan (15% cheaper between the domestic price and not having to pay sales tax), then Covid hit and I have not made a trip there in the last 30 months. But I guess thing do eventually work out as with the recent drop in the Yen, I was able to ask my friend in Hong Kong to pick me up a pair for US$1250 and bring it to me. Initial impression is pretty similar to when I listened to them almost 3 years ago. The include balanced cable is ok but using the Sony/Kimber balanced was smoother, the high is no longer super bright and the lower mid took a step forward using my PHA-2A. I probably would have been a bit disappointed if I paid ~US$1700 +10% tax on one as it's not worth 4 times the price of my Z5 but it's a worthy improvement at US$1250. I wonder how much improvement I'll see after doing the break in. Going to leave my PC on and set a looping playlist on Music Center and let it run overnight for the next few days.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #1,414 of 1,485
Well, Finally got mine, was planning on picking them up in Japan (15% cheaper between the domestic price and not having to pay sales tax), then Covid hit and I have not made a trip there in the last 30 months. But I guess thing do eventually work out as with the recent drop in the Yen, I was able to ask my friend in Hong Kong to pick me up a pair for US$1250 and bring it to me. Initial impression is pretty similar to when I listened to them almost 3 years ago. The include balanced cable is ok but using the Sony/Kimber balanced was smoother, the high is no longer super bright and the lower mid took a step forward using my PHA-2A. I probably would have been a bit disappointed if I paid ~US$1700 +10% tax on one as it's not worth 4 times the price of my Z5 but it's a worthy improvement at US$1250. I wonder how much improvement I'll see after doing the break in. Going to leave my PC on and set a looping playlist on Music Center and let it run overnight for the next few days.
Congratulations.
These have splintered off into their own separate threads now:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-z1r.886120/

Feb 16, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,416 of 1,485
Is the M7 for 300 a good deal?

It is a killer deal objectively - I have never seen one that low.

However, subjectively, I don't know where it stands nowadays in terms of $300 competition...

Feb 16, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #1,417 of 1,485
It's a good deal. Bass is blah, but mids and treble are good. Fit is weird for me wirh the little sharp points on the sides

Feb 16, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #1,418 of 1,485
$300 brand new? It's really a steal!
warm balance detail set with killer imaging and layering for its class. One of the best BA bass because they are using open BA system (Sony's own) just like TIA BAs by 64audio.
Don't expect air moving feeling but speed, texture and depth are great. As bass quality picky guy, I rated the bass 7.5/10 (Z1R 9.5, Mest 8.5, KATO 7, S8 6.5 etc)
I can't find any better imaging and layering below $500 to be honest to match M7 imaging. Not particularly large soundstage, but like studio accurate with really great positioning.

Competing with other $300ish IEM, im sure the M7 will be on upper list, if not the top depends on your genre. Jazz, orchestra, pop, rock will be great. May not too suitable from electronics and drum n bass, techno, etc.

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #1,419 of 1,485
$300 brand new? It's really a steal!
warm balance detail set with killer imaging and layering for its class. One of the best BA bass because they are using open BA system (Sony's own) just like TIA BAs by 64audio.
Don't expect air moving feeling but speed, texture and depth are great. As bass quality picky guy, I rated the bass 7.5/10 (Z1R 9.5, Mest 8.5, KATO 7, S8 6.5 etc)
I can't find any better imaging and layering below $500 to be honest to match M7 imaging. Not particularly large soundstage, but like studio accurate with really great positioning.

Competing with other $300ish IEM, im sure the M7 will be on upper list, if not the top depends on your genre. Jazz, orchestra, pop, rock will be great. May not too suitable from electronics and drum n bass, techno, etc.
I listen to jazz and classical and soundtracks. It's 300 open box. You still think thats good? Thank you for the reply.

Feb 17, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #1,420 of 1,485
I listen to jazz and classical and soundtracks. It's 300 open box. You still think thats good? Thank you for the reply.

The M7 is very suitable for that. Soundtracks and scores will benefit from the M7 layering and vivid imaging.

$300 open box is still a good deal i think, just check the condition then. The M7 is the most value IMHO from price / performance. They are like 80% of M9 with half the price of its bigger brother.

Feb 17, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #1,421 of 1,485

it's a good deal, not to mention it being a Sony, chances are it would hold its resale price more compared to other "trend of the month" IEMs. i use the M9 myself, and i think the M7 really sounds similar, except in the upper freq,so really worth it for the price

Feb 18, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #1,422 of 1,485
Changed my M7-ier stock balanced cable to the Kimber kable (the MUC-M12SB1) and the sound diff is substantial !!! The timbre is so much better and REAL, esp. the bass which is just sublime!! The tonality becomes much more balanced. The micro-dynamics and texture are so so good. Virtually re-discovered the M7!!!

The setup used has been is AK SE200 as the source connected to the iFi Diablo. Just can't wait to re-listen to many of my favorite albums again!

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #1,423 of 1,485
That's a "no brainer". excellent price. I mainly listen to classical music with my m7.

Jun 14, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #1,425 of 1,485
I've been using the M7 since 2019 and haven't been tempted to upgrade yet! I normally make sure whatever my purchase is to be able to last 5 years in terms of improvements of quality within the price range.

I will always advise changing the Sony cable and the ear tips. I'm not yet a huge cable believer but it's totally possible that my upgrade cable SPC cable isn't amazing, the Sony stock SPC cable might just suck I think. As for ear tips, the stock ones are good but I've found the Radius Deep Mount ear tips to open up the upper mids above and tighten the bass as well. Would highly recommend these tips for the M7 if you get to try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back