Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Oct 13, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #346 of 1,485
Z5 never gave the sound I wanted, and It was too big that it kept falling off my ears, with that said, with the right cable, it can sound great.

So true with the original Z5 cable being difficult. Aftermarket cables and Triple Comfort Tips have made the fit better. Still You can only guess the general public reception of the Z5 on 3.5mm single ended phone power? There was nothing special about the IEM.

Still getting the Z5 a quality balanced signal seemed to awaken a special personality. If the Z5 was a woman she would be high maintenance. Lol

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #347 of 1,485
Yeah I got a cable for it and it sounds miles better. It no longer sounds muddy just above the sub bass and is a little more transparent, but it can't do anything about the fit for me. As I get older, my ears seem to be more sensitive to IEMs especially ones that are shaped differently than the norm which is why I'm going to go with a CIEM and wait for z1r reviews and see how people like the fit a year after release. If enough people claim that they can listen to a full album or a full length movie without having to remove it and putting it back in because it feels like it's falling out or discomfort, I'll buy one. I have bought a few too many sony IEMs that just don't fit well. But the M9 and M7 looks like they would be comfortable.

As has been said before the M9 and M7 are in a way Sony simply trying not to be weird Sony. With so much of their products being way outside the box; Sony has a product design history which is both revolutionary and wonderful but strange.

Now maybe with the M7 and M9 they can boast conservative design elements and tone. Gone is most of their trademark weirdness. It’s like someone sat down and said......look this has all already been worked out for you, you don’t need to redesign the wheel egg shaped, again.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #348 of 1,485
Man that is rich...it is like saying you are happy Kim Jong Un is not so crazy, he is quite reasonable in Trump standards.

Some brands decide to stick to TOTL below 1k, like Sennheiser. THAT is reasonable (and not even so much)

Well said....I 100% agree! What age have we come to that people call a 2300 $ earphone (!!!) "not crazy prized"? :triportsad:

Think somebody else mentioned it already, but, me too, I still remember when the HD800 came out and I thought now THAT is a crazy prize (for a full sized headphone, by the way)!
For sure development costs for current earphone flagships are not higher than they were for the HD800....

The prices are just up there today because people still buy it....sad enough.

I buy most of my stuff used, by the way....

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #349 of 1,485
Yeah I got a cable for it and it sounds miles better. It no longer sounds muddy just above the sub bass and is a little more transparent, but it can't do anything about the fit for me. As I get older, my ears seem to be more sensitive to IEMs especially ones that are shaped differently than the norm which is why I'm going to go with a CIEM and wait for z1r reviews and see how people like the fit a year after release. If enough people claim that they can listen to a full album or a full length movie without having to remove it and putting it back in because it feels like it's falling out or discomfort, I'll buy one. I have bought a few too many sony IEMs that just don't fit well. But the M9 and M7 looks like they would be comfortable.
The M7 and M9 is very comfortable, you probably don't even know if you are wearing them, the ear hook is very smooth and soft.

Oct 13, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #351 of 1,485
My current reference is Audeze LCD-i4 terminated to 4.4mm Pentaconn driven by gold Sony Walkman. The short time I had at RMAF with the IER-Z1 already tells me 1Z will be my new reference IEM.

Interesting so compared to the LCD i4, how would you describe the IER-Z1R?

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #352 of 1,485
Well said....I 100% agree! What age have we come to that people call a 2300 $ earphone (!!!) "not crazy prized"? :triportsad:

Think somebody else mentioned it already, but, me too, I still remember when the HD800 came out and I thought now THAT is a crazy prize (for a full sized headphone, by the way)!
For sure development costs for current earphone flagships are not higher than they were for the HD800....

The prices are just up there today because people still buy it....sad enough.

I buy most of my stuff used, by the way....
When I heard that comment I thought 'I'm a bit out of my league on this thread', I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I know the prices for iems range from your cheap 'Chifi' ones to all the way up $$$$$ but I thought Sony would have one high end flagship, then one around the original Z5 price, then one a bit lower for them to cover the price range of people's spending. Sure they will have people jumping on these new ones but I feel a bit left out as the M7 is a bit higher than I would want to spend. I'm sure they'll release some lower priced options eventually but comparing the price ranges of their previous range I feel there maybe other brands that may have better priced/value options?
I also buy secondhand a lot to be able to push myself up to the next level. If they are a sound I really like I'll have to wait a while for these to drop their used value.

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #353 of 1,485
9aXJu2T.png

Measurement of the IER-M7 by oratory1990 (on reddit)
V9B79E0.png

Measurement of the IER-M9 by oratory1990 (on reddit)

Those actually show that the difference in the highs isn't actually that much. Also from a pure FR standpoint they sound rather similar, but obviously there is much more to the sound of a earphone than the FR.

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #355 of 1,485
I wonder if the IER-Z1R is available for demo in Hong Kong and Japan yet?

Heading there for holidays soon.

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #356 of 1,485
Either Japan aren't selling yet or it will be later, as no confirm date, so no demo, as for Hong Kong, it's been delayed, once it's available you will probably find it all over Hong Kong, Sony Centre, Broadway and IEM headphones stores etc.

Oct 21, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #359 of 1,485
In terms of what features exactly? Did you make a direct comparison side by side?
No not side by side. It’s a judgment held by myself and others. One headphone (R-10) is very flat. Where the Z1R full size headphone has more lower midrange bass, and more low end bass. Both headphones were judged with good equipment.

This this just somebody’s subjective thoughts, they mean nothing really.

It’s just one person’s preference in the end.

Also it helps if your going to quote someone, don’t take their post apart and post just a fragment; as it can take what is written out of context.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back