Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Oct 12, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #331 of 1,485
55610A8C-FB41-49D2-8D5C-6CBBA8BA7FF2.jpeg
Man that is rich...it is like saying you are happy Kim Jong Un is not so crazy, he is quite reasonable in Trump standards.

Some brands decide to stick to TOTL below 1k, like Sennheiser. THAT is reasonable (and not even so much)

It’s not like I would do anything to acquire the money for the IER-Z1R; but pretty close.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #332 of 1,485
Oct 13, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #333 of 1,485
Man that is rich...it is like saying you are happy Kim Jong Un is not so crazy, he is quite reasonable in Trump standards.

Some brands decide to stick to TOTL below 1k, like Sennheiser. THAT is reasonable (and not even so much)
64 audio HMMM.

to be fair, Z5 was rather pricey

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #334 of 1,485

It’s not like I would do anything to acquire the money for the IER-Z1R; but pretty close.

Let us be clear, I am still going to buy it. In China should be cheaper but still ridiculous.

64 audio HMMM.

to be fair, Z5 was rather pricey

64 Audio use to be a value for money company trying to provide great sound to users at reasonable prices. Then they got a new marketing guy on board who decided that greed was nicer than value for money.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #335 of 1,485

Well, they DID have an under $1K flagship line for quite some years... Let's be honest price is what most people care first when they compare one company's product with another's.

Sony gives options below flagships as well (the CD3000 for R10, SA5000 for 010, Z7 for Z1R, EX800ST for EX1000, A3 for Z5, etc etc, of which every time they have same design philosophy, just more conservative ver from the no holds barred flagship), some people can and do prefer those offerings sometimes.

What matters is always whether you think a product is worth it. Because the option not to choose it always there.

Also in Sony's case the value proposition, on aspect like build and packaging they are well above what most give these days for the same price.

Actually... Now I think about it would Sony release a 2nd line of hybrid to stand below the IER-Z1R? ... Because those M models are pure BA, and for "monitoring" they say. So they shouldn't be it. (they're more like EX monitor line successor)

The N3 is a slightly compromised Z5 in sacrifice for comfort.... Z5M2 when?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #336 of 1,485
The R-10 was $5000 in today’s money. But as far as I remember there was very few expensive flagships besides Stax. People were price traumatized in 2009 when the HD800 came out. Most headphones and IEMs shouldn’t be more than $900. But if Sony priced the IER-Z1R at $900 people maybe wouldn’t respect it as much. They kind of have to price it the way it’s priced. The way I deal with the price, is not buying anything else for a year.

There are many things in life to spend money on less fun than throwing $1300 out a car window. At least the IER-Z1R will be fun. The extra $1300 is the hype tax now somehow added on to modern fagships. At least something like the Z1R full-size headphone sounds better than the $5K R-10; in that regard it’s a value. Maybe the Z1R full-size headphone is worth the asking price?

Everytime we buy a flagship we are taken to the cleaners; but at least we know we are going there. Lol

We choose to throw the money away. It’s not like these are good investments anyway. It’s simply an investment in happiness. IMO

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #337 of 1,485
Well, they DID have an under $1K flagship line for quite some years... Let's be honest price is what most people care first when they compare one company's product with another's.

Sony gives options below flagships as well (the CD3000 for R10, SA5000 for 010, Z7 for Z1R, EX800ST for EX1000, A3 for Z5, etc etc, of which every time they have same design philosophy, just more conservative ver from the no holds barred flagship), some people can and do prefer those offerings sometimes.

What matters is always whether you think a product is worth it. Because the option not to choose it always there.

Also in Sony's case the value proposition, on aspect like build and packaging they are well above what most give these days for the same price.

Actually... Now I think about it would Sony release a 2nd line of hybrid to stand below the IER-Z1R? ... Because those M models are pure BA, and for "monitoring" they say. So they shouldn't be it. (they're more like EX monitor line successor)

The N3 is a slightly compromised Z5 in sacrifice for comfort.... Z5M2 when?

I think the Z5 is finished.

The thing is I don’t speculate Sony will come out with a IER-Z1R MK-2 any time soon. At least their flagships are able to stay at the top for awhile. Some companies seem to have technology in slight tweaks kept on ice which they use 6 months or a year later to devalue what we just purchased. Sony seems to have their flagships at least have a normal lifespan.

And stuff is made in different places the Z7 made in Japan but the Z7MK2 Thailand. The Z5 Japan, but the N3 Thailand. Their TOTL always has the pedigree that it can’t be made outside of Japan, due to insufficient build tolerances.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #338 of 1,485
I guess Sony stuff which are made in Japan tend to stay in the market longer, although the Z1R is to replace the EX1000, not as a grading level, but as a flagship. I'm think, It will stay at least 5 years, depending on the sales, Sony might make a cheaper version, but not anytime soon, as I may affect to sales of the M7 and M9.
But like the EX600, hopefully a lower price model will come out.

Or may be a true studio version.

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #339 of 1,485
Oh if they change line it'd be OK still, it's good if Sony want to move away from the polarizing design that they've used since the EX 1000, but still, a sub flagship hybrid using the more conventional design like the IER-Z1R would be nice. Agree that Sony has long longevity for their product, just thinking it may be about time for a new and improved hybrid line..

On that note, Open Fullsize flagship when, Sony?
Actually, give us any Open Fullsize line, the MA series is long discontinued now...

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #340 of 1,485
I guess Sony stuff which are made in Japan tend to stay in the market longer, although the Z1R is to replace the EX1000, not as a grading level, but as a flagship. I'm think, It will stay at least 5 years, depending on the sales, Sony might make a cheaper version, but not anytime soon, as I may affect to sales of the M7 and M9.
But like the EX600, hopefully a lower price model will come out.

Or may be a true studio version.
Yeah but that was when they only have one IEM line going (single, big dynamic), now they have two, a Hybrid, and a pure BA, of which they seem to want to make them aimed with separate use case with different tuning goal with the BA for monitoring and hybrid for audiophile now.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #341 of 1,485
More like IER for references model, a another EX for monitor, JE for custom, BA or XBA series for bass, but didn't take of like the EX series, even the Z5 didn't get as much hype as they wanted.

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #343 of 1,485
More like IER for references model, a another EX for monitor, JE for custom, BA or XBA series for bass, but didn't take of like the EX series, even the Z5 didn't get as much hype as they wanted.

The Z5 never became the IEM you would have thought it would be in Head-Fi buzz? Nor has the Z1R full-size had the greatest reception. The Z1R finally had success but it seemed like an uphill battle. Though the Z5 never even made the news. In a way the Z5 has been almost a secret IEM around here.

It may be that Sony isn't even looked at as a headphone or IEM company at Head-Fi? Just the fact that they now offer an unconventional tunning doesnt help matters. It’s like their new house sound was oddball? But the folks who “get” what they are doing, really get into it.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #344 of 1,485
The Z5 never became the IEM you would have thought it would be in Head-Fi buzz? Nor has the Z1R full-size had the greatest reception. The Z1R finally had success but it seemed like an uphill battle. Though the Z5 never even made the news. In a way the Z5 has been almost a secret IEM around here.

It may be that Sony isn't even looked at as a headphone or IEM company at Head-Fi? Just the fact that they now offer an unconventional tunning doesnt help matters. It’s like their new house sound was oddball? But the folks who “get” what they are doing, really get into it.
Z5 never gave the sound I wanted, and It was too big that it kept falling off my ears, with that said, with the right cable, it can sound great.

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #345 of 1,485
Z5 never gave the sound I wanted, and It was too big that it kept falling off my ears, with that said, with the right cable, it can sound great.

Yeah I got a cable for it and it sounds miles better. It no longer sounds muddy just above the sub bass and is a little more transparent, but it can't do anything about the fit for me. As I get older, my ears seem to be more sensitive to IEMs especially ones that are shaped differently than the norm which is why I'm going to go with a CIEM and wait for z1r reviews and see how people like the fit a year after release. If enough people claim that they can listen to a full album or a full length movie without having to remove it and putting it back in because it feels like it's falling out or discomfort, I'll buy one. I have bought a few too many sony IEMs that just don't fit well. But the M9 and M7 looks like they would be comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back