Thoughts on HD 380 Pro, HD 448, and other closed cans?
Oct 13, 2010 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Black-Six

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a set of phones for use primarily at work, but also some home use. Since I'm in a cube with neighbors near by, I'm looking at closed-back cans. I have a pair ER6i's that I use for portable audio and am not interested in using them or other IEMs since they can get uncomfortable after a while and they're a pain to take in and out when I need to talk to someone or answer the phone. My source will likely be a micro system without speakers or an older PCDP (visit here if you have input on that, thanks!).

I mainly listen to classic rock and classical/orchestral/soundtracks. I'm looking for something that's fairly neutral, as I enjoy listening to music as it was mastered.

To that end, I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro and HD 448. The former, on paper, seems ideal since they're reference headphones, but the reviews I've read have been mixed. The HD 448 seem to get better reviews - people say they lack a little in the bass department but that doesn't worry me too much. I'm just not sure if they're neutral enough.

I'm open to other suggestions as well, as long as they're circumaural and closed. Budget goes up to ~$250 but I'd prefer to stay closer to the $100-$150 range if possible.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 9
Both are huge and massive, both are very heavy, 440 sounds pretty good but the 840 is something special in my opinion.  However the 750 DJ is much more suited to your needs than the 840 is. Its more towards the balanced and neutral side which to me is no good for rocking out and enjoying music.  I never liked monitors for music, I highly recommend the shure 750 dj over the 440 or 840 for rock.  

the 380 pro is the poorest sounding of all listed here.  you can get a used set of Phiaton MS400s on ebay for that range.  I see them from $140-160, you've lots of options but again out of the crop you listed you were looking at, I wouldnt look at anything but the 840 and the 750 dj.  

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 9
Senn HD448 are fairly light on the sub bass but still have night lows, lovely creamy rich mids, a little recessed highs but it fits them since there is no real thud to the bass to even out its over all spectrum, they are great for enclosed spaces and so far i have been listening to a little bit of everything are it all sounds great, they are geared more towards like,classical music and classic rock, but the more jazzy stuff and metal is AOKAY with um.

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Both are huge and massive, both are very heavy, 440 sounds pretty good but the 840 is something special in my opinion.  However the 750 DJ is much more suited to your needs than the 840 is. Its more towards the balanced and neutral side which to me is no good for rocking out and enjoying music.  I never liked monitors for music, I highly recommend the shure 750 dj over the 440 or 840 for rock.  

the 380 pro is the poorest sounding of all listed here.  you can get a used set of Phiaton MS400s on ebay for that range.  I see them from $140-160, you've lots of options but again out of the crop you listed you were looking at, I wouldnt look at anything but the 840 and the 750 dj.

Looking at the impedences, I'm guessing the Shures can be driven un-amped pretty well? I may get one at some point, but not at first.

What don't you like about the HD 380s? Like I said, I've heard mixed reviews but I was curious as to what in particular they were bad at. Also, have you heard the HD 448s?

Quote:
Senn HD448 are fairly light on the sub bass but still have night lows, lovely creamy rich mids, a little recessed highs but it fits them since there is no real thud to the bass to even out its over all spectrum, they are great for enclosed spaces and so far i have been listening to a little bit of everything are it all sounds great, they are geared more towards like,classical music and classic rock, but the more jazzy stuff and metal is AOKAY with um.

Thanks for the feedback!

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 9
If you are using a sansa fuze as your source with no amp, you can run any of the above very well, ipods dont have the powerful output the fuze has

I did not like the 380 at all, in fact i disliked almost everything.  Comfort was an issue, the earpads are not soft.  It is light, but it feels cheap on your head.  The sound stage is terrible even though it uses the HD595 drivers which have an excellent stage...the problem is they are meant to be used in an OPEN BACK HOUSING...and the hd380 pro housing is CLOSED BACK.  so...its literally ruining the sound.  It is not very clear, it is heavily lacking bass, and its about $200 more than I would ever think about paying for it.  

IF you have a $250 budget, you can do very well.  But as Ive been saying in other topics lately, you cannot do better than the MS400 or the HD25-ii for portable sets.  

-Phiaton Ms400
-Sennheiser HD25-ii
-Shure 750 DJ/840
-ATH ESw9 used
-Ultrasone Pro 750
-HD448
-Fischer Audio FA-003

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 9

swbf2cheater said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Both are huge and massive, both are very heavy, 440 sounds pretty good but the 840 is something special in my opinion. However the 750 DJ is much more suited to your needs than the 840 is. Its more towards the balanced and neutral side which to me is no good for rocking out and enjoying music. I never liked monitors for music, I highly recommend the shure 750 dj over the 440 or 840 for rock.

the 380 pro is the poorest sounding of all listed here. you can get a used set of Phiaton MS400s on ebay for that range. I see them from $140-160, you've lots of options but again out of the crop you listed you were looking at, I wouldnt look at anything but the 840 and the 750 dj.

Now I got it, It is just the solution for my problem, Thanks for your sharing!

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 9
Well since this spambot reminded me about this thread I guess I'll post an update.

I went to the closest Guitar Center a couple weeks ago where they had the SRH440s, SRH840s, the HD280 Pros, and the HD380 Pros. I listened to all four for a while, and found the 380s the most comfortable, although the 840s did sound better (different?). For $50 less after a price match and the better comfort I opted for the 380s.

So far I've been enjoying them immensely. Maybe it's only because I haven't listen to better phones, but hey, ignorance is bliss, right? (I'm sure my wallet would appreciate that sentiment.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back