This website is an evil place of torture and misfortune. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME PICK HEADPHONES!
Aug 7, 2010 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

faisal2003456

100+ Head-Fier
I've been hunting down a decent pair of headphones for about 100 bucks. I thought it would be an easy enough task, boy was I wrong. EVERYBODY is contradicting everyone. I have no idea what to do. I'm gonna tell my case now.

My set up would look like this:

iPod--->LOD--->Amp--->Headphones

Before you say this headphone or that headphone doesn't require an amp, my 3.5mm head-jack on the iPod is messed up. It would be cheaper for me to buy a $200 dollar amp rather than buy a new audio player. Plus an amp always improves sound quality, not just volume or so I hear.

The genres I listen to are mainly orchestra and classical, as well as some rap and hip-hop. Occasionally some rock and heavy metal may come into the mix.

I am aiming to spend about $200 in total for the amp and the headphones, but I am willing to pay more if it is TRULY worth it. 

What headphones would you recommend? (I don't care about anything except audio quality>)

I'd like the headphones to really benefit from amping.

Thanks to everyone in advanced. Even if your as nooby as I am please try and help me! 
smile.gif

EDIT:
The headphones that have caught my attention are:
  1. Alessandro MS-1: These are recommended by almost everyone. Although, I hear that they have no "soundstage", which would hurt it orchestra-wise, but then some people say it's great for orchestra, Free shipping world-wide doesn't hurt either.
  2. Shure SRH440: These look great and have a nice detachable cable. They have generally good reception and I hear that they are kind of good for all round use. I also hear they are better suited for monitoring and not listening though.
  3. Denon D1001: Haven't heard much, but headphone.com put them in the top 10 and they caught my eye.
  4. Creative Aurvana Aurvana Live!: Essentially a clone of the D1001, but cheaper.
  5. Sennheiser 448: Sennhiser seems to be a top brand and these pair are widely recommended.
  6. Sennheiser 555: These are great for orchestra I hear, not sure about other genres.
  7. ATH-M50: Very close competitors to the SRH440 from the looks of it. I believe they are better suited for monitoring and not music listening.
  8. AD700: Hear that they are GREAT for orchestra, not sure about rap though. They look ugly as well.
  9. A700: Some say they are simply closed back AD700, but the specs are different. Not sure what to make of them. 
  10. Sony V6: Look interesting.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 55
I would recommend getting a neutral pair of IEM's something like the RE0's and getting a warm amp.

You could get a decent CMOY ,usually better then buying branded 100 dollar amps.

Want to get a branded amp then something like an ibasso D4 would be very nice but would cost over 200 dollars.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 55
Classic title. That should get a lot of attention.

Here's the thing. There are many, many headphones out there on the market right now under $100. The problem with 'us' telling you what's good and what's not, is all based on our opinions. Just like the rest of us, you have an opinion too, you just have to 'clue-us-in' into where your opinion is headed. In other words, tell us where to start. Give us some ground to cover. Start to narrow down some of the ones you are thinking of. Look for designs that appeal to you. Once you've done this, come back and reply with some of the knowledge you've come up with. So we can better understand, as well as better recommend, some headphone for you to buy.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 55
I would recommend against the 2 you mentioned, definitely worth spending half what they cost and getting a decent cmoy from ebay.

There are certain people here that sell cmoys on ebay, amazing ones, with life time warranty.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 55
I'm afraid that if I mention a pair, everyone will just say get those without thinking of the other pairs. The title is true, I've actually lost sleep over this...
confused_face.gif
  I will mention some of the ones I found now and what I've read about them. I'll edit the original post.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 55

Quote:
Actually I take the IEM comment back. They will do. Know of any good ones? I don't really want anything used, tbh.

Yes, but they cost ~4x as much as an equivalent full-sized headphone.  Stick to the latter if you want quality within your budget.  But I'm not going to recommend one because I don't listen to classical music very much.  
tongue.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 55
The denon's would give you the soundstage but what about the classical bit, you need a flatter response headphones for that.

The RE0's are as flat as portable gets,decent soundstage also.

I personally wouldn't be very fussy about what portable to buy, the only reason being.You could not do any sort of justice to classical music with the portable line up unless you get custom IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back