This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Mar 6, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #1,036 of 1,370
Quote:

Thanks for the story and the impressions!

Personally, I can't help thinking that the Magni sounds a little tinny w/ the HD600. I'm not sure its the best combo, but I'll keep trying it. 

We are using APS V3 cable if that makes a difference, but with the re-cabled HD600, HE-500, or LCD-2 the amp is not tinny sounding at all.

Quote:
Without going through this entire thread, anyone compare an M&M stack against the NuForce HDP?

Right off the bat just looking at specs it looks like the Magni is quite a bit more powerful than the HDP. When driving 300 ohm cans like my HD-650's:

Mangi:
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 260mW

HDP:
152mW rms @ 300 Ohm

EDIT: Just saw this post: LINK

I posted a mini review on 1/9/13 and didn't see anyone answer your question about vs HDP.  In a nutshell, the HDP amp is not as good as the Magni amp, the HDP DAC is better than the Modi DAC.  The HDP DAC + Magni amp was a good combo.  I don't have a link, but I saved the text.  

MICRO-REVIEW - MODI/MAGNI COMBO:

I gave my son his Modi/Magni combo for his 15th birthday this Monday, and we've put only about 12 hours on the rig so far.  When I offered to let him return it for something better he declined.

The sound with his HD25-1 II and his HD600 + APS V3 cable, paired with a Macbook Pro and lossless music is wonderful for the price.  The combo outperforms my $169 Audioengine D1 DAC/amp and $249 Nuforce Icon that he's been using, and comes in closer to the performance of my $449 Nuforce HDP.  Not bad for $215 shipped. 

I'd say the HDP has a slightly better (more detailed) USB DAC, but the Magni amp beats the HDP amp in refinement and spaciousness, and seems to present a little extra micro-detail when paired with the HDP DAC rather than the Modi.  Basically, when I fed the HDP DAC RCA output into the Magni the soundstage size opened up a little with better ambience, the sound was slightly more transparent, and it was a little more refined than the slightly aggressive sounding HDP amp.  

All these "slight" improvements added up to a more believable performance overall.  It was a good match for both headphones, and effortlessly drives the 300 ohm HD600 (as does the HDP).  It drove the HD600 better than other comparably priced rigs like the D1, Icon, or uDAC-2, although the $169 HiFIMan EF2 does a very respectable job although it's DAC is fairly behind the Modi.

I imagine that this combo could improve a bit more after putting a couple hundred hours on the gear.  Bravo Schiit !!

Quote:
How long have you been on Head-Fi?  You.Will.Upgrade!  Or you'll look into the fiduciary abyss this place represents and walk yourself back from the edge.  You've been warned.

Is that fancy speak for "Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet"?

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #1,037 of 1,370
Quote:
While running the M&M stack into my laptop and using HD650's, I've noticed that I tend to get a good deal of static-sounding interference. Not knowing much at all when it comes to dealing with this kind of issue, could someone either let me know what's going on and how to adjust it, or at least rephrase the issue into more generally understood terms?

You're probably hearing some sort of electrical interference, here are a few things to try:

Plug the Magni into a different outlet, if you're using a surge protector then try it plugged directly into the wall.
Unplug the Modi and see if there's any static at all when it's not plugged into the computer but the Magni's still on.
Try a different USB port (USB 2 if possible, as some have reported noise with USB 3).
Unplug your laptop from the wall and see if the static then goes away when it's running on battery power.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #1,038 of 1,370
While running the M&M stack into my laptop and using HD650's, I've noticed that I tend to get a good deal of static-sounding interference. Not knowing much at all when it comes to dealing with this kind of issue, could someone either let me know what's going on and how to adjust it, or at least rephrase the issue into more generally understood terms?

What worked out really well for me was to simply use a USB cable with a ferrite bead instead of a plain jane, thinly shielded USB cable. YMMW.

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,039 of 1,370
Just got my Modi today. I have it feeding my first gen Asgard running Beyer Dynamic 770 Pro 250 ohm version. This will be my casual listening system. I'm not going to let small negative nuances bother me as long as it's clean, quiet, and generally excellent sound quality.
So far I'm very pleased :) 

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #1,041 of 1,370
Quote:
Curious, Is it worth buying this M&M combo, or sticking with my Titanium HD sound card with upgraded OP Amps.

Using HE-300 Headphones

The M&M would probably sound better, but we can't really tell you if it's 'worth' it, that's something you'll have to decide for yourself.

Of course, if you try them and don't like them you won't be out much since you can send them back to Schiit or resell them here. That at least makes the M&M relatively cost-effective to try out.

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #1,042 of 1,370
Quote:

You're probably hearing some sort of electrical interference, here are a few things to try:

Plug the Magni into a different outlet, if you're using a surge protector then try it plugged directly into the wall.
Unplug the Modi and see if there's any static at all when it's not plugged into the computer but the Magni's still on.
Try a different USB port (USB 2 if possible, as some have reported noise with USB 3).
Unplug your laptop from the wall and see if the static then goes away when it's running on battery power.

Plugging it directly into the wall worked great. And it saved me a spot in my surge protector. Thanks for the help.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #1,043 of 1,370
The Magni was a giant-sized leap up from the E9 and O2 I'd been using before.  My DAC is the HRT MusicStreamer ii+.  I don't know how that relates to the Modi except that it outputs a little 'hot'.

I'm moderately happy with my setup now, but Katun's elevated impression of the MA900 and the all-around respect that the Mad Dogs get has me tempted.  I'm trying to hold off on getting new equipment until I'm out of debt and then springing for a Stax SR-009 kit.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #1,044 of 1,370
Quote:

The M&M would probably sound better, but we can't really tell you if it's 'worth' it, that's something you'll have to decide for yourself.

Of course, if you try them and don't like them you won't be out much since you can send them back to Schiit or resell them here. That at least makes the M&M relatively cost-effective to try out.

Thanks for the advice, I clearly worth was not the right word, should have said something along the lines of it being a sizeable leap over the quality of the titanium HD.

I ended up grabbing a pair of fischer audio fa-002w high edition headphones. I have been craving a pair of nice closed wood cup headphones.

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #1,047 of 1,370
What is a ferrite bead and what does it do?

A ferrite bead is basically a hunk of ferrite ceramic that acts as a passive electric component used to suppress high frequency noise in electronic circuits. Sometimes, the ferrite bead just gets clamped near the end of a cable. Other times, the cable crap around the ferrite bead. The one that I use with my Modi looks more or less like this:

Or you can easily buy them off eBay for a dollar or something, and clamp it to your own USB cable.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #1,048 of 1,370
Thanks for the insight.

I just placed an order for the Magni / Modi combo this morning for my office desktop setup: MacbookPro -> Modi -> Magni -> DT 770 250ohm.

Can't wait to listen to them!

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #1,049 of 1,370
Oh, I'm selling my Magni if anyone wants it, yours for only $80! (Shipping inc.) Sold.

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #1,050 of 1,370
Ordered the M/M stack yesterday, and spent some time today with a Magni. Can't. Wait.
My ears cannot withstand onboard audio for any longer. 

Also got some 12dB attenuators in case I want to use IEMs. Now all I need is a new pair of phones, probably a HD650; and I'll be a happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back