This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Feb 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #1,007 of 1,370
Is it better than Audirvana Plus?

I only have Fidelia. I got it so I could listen to HDTracks before realizing that there's very little on HDTracks that appeals to me.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,008 of 1,370
Is it better than Audirvana Plus?

I only have Fidelia. I got it so I could listen to HDTracks before realizing that there's very little on HDTracks that appeals to me.

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #1,009 of 1,370
Quote:
Out of curiosity, has anyone done a comparison between the M&M pair vs the Fiio E07K + E09K or Fiio E17 Alpen + E09K? Pricewise, these are pretty much neck-in-neck, and both Fiio units has the benefit of being portable.

Yes, does any one else have any more feedback on this? I currently have the Fiio setup but I'm thinking about the Magni/Modi when I get back home. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #1,010 of 1,370
^ Magni/Modi sounds infinitely less muddy and thick. The extra power really helps low efficiency headphones like orthos. After trying out my E09K/E17 after about 2 months of only listening to my Mad Dogs on the M/M, I pretty much immediately stopped listening. Everything sounded....off....

That said, if you need a portable solution and don't have too bad of power requirements for headphones the E09K/E17 is a good inexpensive combo. The M/M is just better for my application because my headphones want the juice.

For desktop only and cheap, M/M is very hard to beat.

I'm still keeping my E17 for portable use, but the E09K will be sold once I stop being lazy.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #1,011 of 1,370

I wish I had that problem ! LoL

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #1,012 of 1,370
Quote:
^ Magni/Modi sounds infinitely less muddy and thick. The extra power really helps low efficiency headphones like orthos. After trying out my E09K/E17 after about 2 months of only listening to my Mad Dogs on the M/M, I pretty much immediately stopped listening. Everything sounded....off....

That said, if you need a portable solution and don't have too bad of power requirements for headphones the E09K/E17 is a good inexpensive combo. The M/M is just better for my application because my headphones want the juice.

For desktop only and cheap, M/M is very hard to beat.

I'm still keeping my E17 for portable use, but the E09K will be sold once I stop being lazy.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I think I'm going to keep both combos as well. I just think I'll get the M/M when I have money and when I come back to the U.S. With the amount that I move about, it would be nice to have two portable setups anyway. And like you said, the E17 is still very useful in it's own regard!

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #1,013 of 1,370
Thanks a lot for the advice! I think I'm going to keep both combos as well. I just think I'll get the M/M when I have money and when I come back to the U.S. With the amount that I move about, it would be nice to have two portable setups anyway. And like you said, the E17 is still very useful in it's own regard!

What headphones are you using?

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #1,015 of 1,370
Just ordered the Magni this morning - hope they get built and shipped out soon.  My first desktop amp so this is anticipation beyond belief.

Come on Jason, get 'em on the way!  :)

What a great way to get into entry level audiophile gear - I'll likely be getting a Modi next. 

Thanks for being a US manufacturer as well!  That's what I do - we fight offshore every day so that's yet another reason I bought from you.

beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #1,016 of 1,370
Quote:

Right now, Sennheiser HD598 and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250. Potential HE-400 and HD600 in the future, but I kind of wanted to upgrade the sources first. And it's so tempting at a little over $200! lol

The M/M is definitely plenty for a majority of headphones out there in a cheap and attractive package. Once you start getting into higher end, say like the HE-500, you might want to look into something with a bit more power but the Magni can still drive it and do a pretty good job of doing so. If you don't need portable and want to keep that cost down, I can't recommend it enough.

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #1,017 of 1,370
I just ordered the Modi to use with my Mac Mini and Asgard V1 today. I hope it sounds good... BTW, I'm using Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm and Denon D2000' s

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #1,018 of 1,370
Quote:
The M/M is definitely plenty for a majority of headphones out there in a cheap and attractive package. Once you start getting into higher end, say like the HE-500, you might want to look into something with a bit more power but the Magni can still drive it and do a pretty good job of doing so. If you don't need portable and want to keep that cost down, I can't recommend it enough.

Yeah I don't think I'll be going past the headphones I just mentioned for a while! When that time does come, I'll probably go with the Bifrost and Asgard 2 or whatever they have to offer! 

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #1,019 of 1,370
Quote:

Yeah I don't think I'll be going past the headphones I just mentioned for a while! When that time does come, I'll probably go with the Bifrost and Asgard 2 or whatever they have to offer! 

How long have you been on Head-Fi?  You.Will.Upgrade!  Or you'll look into the fiduciary abyss this place represents and walk yourself back from the edge.  You've been warned.

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #1,020 of 1,370
Quote:
How long have you been on Head-Fi?  You.Will.Upgrade!  Or you'll look into the fiduciary abyss this place represents and walk yourself back from the edge.  You've been warned.

Haha I've been creeping on here for a little less than a year but I just started posting recently. No other site has made me compulsively buy expensive things like this forum has haha. I need to hold myself back sometimes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back