This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Mar 1, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #1,021 of 1,370
Quote:

Haha I've been creeping on here for a little less than a year but I just started posting recently. No other site has made me compulsively buy expensive things like this forum has haha. I need to hold myself back sometimes. 

I really feel you man. I've spent about a $1000 in the last 2 weeks...and I'm a college student working minimum wage. I just tell myself that it's a hobby just like anything else..albeit an expensive one. It's better than making a habit out of drinking, smoking or illicit drugs..that's how I justify it 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #1,022 of 1,370
Quote:
I really feel you man. I've spent about a $1000 in the last 2 weeks...and I'm a college student working minimum wage. I just tell myself that it's a hobby just like anything else..albeit an expensive one. It's better than making a habit out of drinking, smoking or illicit drugs..that's how I justify it 
rolleyes.gif

Join the club man, I'm in the same boat as u... n I got mad dogs, Dt 990 pro250ohms a MilletMaxHybrid 12ua7 Tube AND an O2 dac... so I'm broke

but still I'm a fan of the "almost everything is better than fiio combos" thought...

I LOVE myO2 and both my hybrid Tubes. For $200 I have 2 great hybrid tubes my Indeed G3 too will have my RCA Clear top Tube... and the indeed has TONS of power [where as the millet max hbrid with rca 5963 12ua7s has nice SMOOOTH sound n detail]

So... yea most things sound better than Fiio I have found

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #1,023 of 1,370
Up until the Magni, the E9 was a pretty good value proposition.  I STILL can't believe that the Magni is even in the same 'price-o-sphere' as the FiiO E9 or other bargain amps - and everything but the wall wart is made in 'Murica?  How in the heck??

It inspires me because even at my rapidly advancing age, I'd like to make a career change to Industrial Design (I need to pay off debt and go back to school, but...) and I'd like to somehow get an ID worker's cooperative going.  Knowing that Schiit can source materials and manufacturing in America and compete with cheap Asian labor and manufacturing gives me hope that a high-end ID cooperative firm wouldn't immediately suffer a premature post-natal death.

Now I just need to learn how Schiit arm-wrestled the devil into giving them this deal!

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #1,024 of 1,370
Quote:
rolleyes.gif

Haha it's awful. I'm just out of college and I have loans. Working a low wage job as an English teacher in China and should be saving money to pay off loans lol. But it is true, I'd rather be spending money on my hobbies and not harming myself. Although my new fixed-gear bike toy could be harmful to my health riding around here haha

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #1,025 of 1,370
Quote:
Up until the Magni, the E9 was a pretty good value proposition.  I STILL can't believe that the Magni is even in the same 'price-o-sphere' as the FiiO E9 or other bargain amps - and everything but the wall wart is made in 'Murica?  How in the heck??

It inspires me because even at my rapidly advancing age, I'd like to make a career change to Industrial Design (I need to pay off debt and go back to school, but...) and I'd like to somehow get an ID worker's cooperative going.  Knowing that Schiit can source materials and manufacturing in America and compete with cheap Asian labor and manufacturing gives me hope that a high-end ID cooperative firm wouldn't immediately suffer a premature post-natal death.

Now I just need to learn how Schiit arm-wrestled the devil into giving them this deal!

Yeah I agree. The O2 is great but for the price that the M/M is selling at, I'm all for that instead. And I agree, I really want to support Schiit as an up and coming American company.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #1,026 of 1,370
I will be buying the Magni/Modi combo in a week and a half, as my first Amp/DAC.
I will be using them with the Sennheiser HD598s and my DIY Amiga speakers (That I will be building in the next 2 weeks)
https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy/amiga

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #1,028 of 1,370
Since Modi doesn't have an on/off switch does disabling the Modi from Windows ( -> Playback Devices -> Disable) turn it off fully? (i.e. does it turn off the front LED)

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #1,029 of 1,370
Can't wait to get my Modi (it shipped yesterday) Looking forward to listening to my 20,000 song iTunes collection instead of CD swapping all the time. As far as sound quality, it's more for casual listening so I'm not going to be overly picky, unless it sounds like crap. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,030 of 1,370
Quote:
Since Modi doesn't have an on/off switch does disabling the Modi from Windows ( -> Playback Devices -> Disable) turn it off fully? (i.e. does it turn off the front LED

If I recall, I did this right when I got mine and it did turn off the LED but because I listened to it every day at work I figured it was too much hassle to keep turning it on/off so I just leave it on all the time.

EDIT: So I tried again, and I guess it doesn't. Have to either keep unplugging or disable that USB port entirely through the Device Manager (Right click computer > Manage)

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #1,032 of 1,370
I can't offer any comparison with the M&M, but... the Icon-2 is really more of a speaker amp. It's not really a valid comparison here. The HDP or udac is the closest Nuforce equivalent. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #1,033 of 1,370
Is 24/96 the best sample rate playback for the following setup:

Macbook Pro Late 2011 Model (Spotify@320kbps) -> Modi -> Magni -> DT 770 Pro 250ohms?

Is there any difference in quality between USB vs SPDIF output from my Macbook Pro?

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #1,034 of 1,370
Quote:
Is 24/96 the best sample rate playback for the following setup:

Macbook Pro Late 2011 Model (Spotify@320kbps) -> Modi -> Magni -> DT 770 Pro 250ohms?

Is there any difference in quality between USB vs SPDIF output from my Macbook Pro?

The quality difference is debatable, and a lot comes down to how good the USB implementation on your DAC is. And even with the same devices preferences can go both ways (eg, Bifrost USB vs SPDIF from a Mac). Of course, unless you're buying an adapter you're going to be using USB with Modi since that's its only input.

For sample rate and bit depth, personally I'd always use 24 bit and then set the sample rate to whatever your media is (probably 44.1 for Spotify). But I'm the sort of person that at least tries to avoid resampling, even though I freely acknowledge that I probably can't hear the difference :)

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #1,035 of 1,370
While running the M&M stack into my laptop and using HD650's, I've noticed that I tend to get a good deal of static-sounding interference. Not knowing much at all when it comes to dealing with this kind of issue, could someone either let me know what's going on and how to adjust it, or at least rephrase the issue into more generally understood terms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back