This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Jan 12, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #871 of 1,370
I'm looking to upgrade from my fiio e7/e9 combo and thinking about just going with the Modi & Magni combo for a few months until I can afford the Lyr and Bifrost.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but will I be able to use the Modi with the Lyr until I can upgrade Modi to the Bifrost?
Just a few months? If I were you I would just tough it out with what you have rather than incurring the additional expense of buying and later having to sell the M&M combo. You'll get to your overall goal of Bifrost/Lyr faster.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #874 of 1,370
I'm looking to upgrade from my fiio e7/e9 combo and thinking about just going with the Modi & Magni combo for a few months until I can afford the Lyr and Bifrost.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but will I be able to use the Modi with the Lyr until I can upgrade Modi to the Bifrost?

Yes, you'd be able to use the Modi with Lyr just fine.

If this is when playing solely 16-bit audio over a 24-bit channel, then would there be some loss when playing actual 24-bit files?

That is correct, any digital attenuation done on 24 bit files would technically be removing data, resulting in lower quality.

Whether you'd be able to notice is another issue entirely.

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #879 of 1,370
Jan 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #880 of 1,370
any internal pic of Modi yet? I'd love to see how much schiit a benji can pull
popcorn.gif

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #881 of 1,370
Would the Magni be a suitable amp for the Philips Fidelio X1, which has the following technical specifications:
-Impedance: 30Ω
-Sensitivity: 100dB/mW
-Maximum Power Input: 500mW
-THD: <0.1%

If the specs alone can't be used to fully determine how good a match they are, has anyone here actually heard what the X1 sounds like with the Magni?

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #882 of 1,370
Would the Magni be a suitable amp for the Philips Fidelio X1, which has the following technical specifications:
-Impedance: 30Ω

-Sensitivity: 100dB/mW
-Maximum Power Input: 500mW
-THD: <0.1%

If the specs alone can't be used to fully determine how good a match they are, has anyone here actually heard what the X1 sounds like with the Magni?

Specs just tell us that yes, they'd drive them fine. As far as how they'll sound while doing so? Unfortunately, no idea.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #885 of 1,370
I think the magni is too powerfull for the X1's. They are easy to drive and then you'd have to digitally attenuate the volume like alot of people need to do.
My old one had a very bad channel imbalence... I sent it in, and got #679 back, absolutely none, even at VERY low volumes, they must've fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back