This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Jan 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #887 of 1,370
Jan 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #888 of 1,370
Jan 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #889 of 1,370
Quote:
I'm pretty sure he means that anything controlled digitally from 25% up should be bit perfect.
smily_headphones1.gif

actually, you could make a 256x change in volume (2 to the 8th power, since there are 8 spare binary bits of information). So practically any volume change.

But yes there will be technically some loss with 24 bit audio files, but assuming the DSP volume correction isn't faulty, they shouldn't sound any worse than the 16 bit files.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #890 of 1,370
Quote:
Would the Magni be a suitable amp for the Philips Fidelio X1, which has the following technical specifications:
-Impedance: 30Ω
-Sensitivity: 100dB/mW
-Maximum Power Input: 500mW
-THD: <0.1%

If the specs alone can't be used to fully determine how good a match they are, has anyone here actually heard what the X1 sounds like with the Magni?

I have the X1's and im telling you E17 is ALL you'll ever need for them.

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #891 of 1,370
I just got my AKG K550 and not really satisfied with Xonar DG in my PC - trying to build my first dac+amp+headphones set. Found dat Schiit website yesterday the stuff looks amazing, guys, you're doing a great job!. I'm just wondering if Modi + Magni will be a good starting point in that price range or maybe there are some other options around?

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #892 of 1,370
If you already have a Xonar DG on the PC, I am not really sure how much benefit you would see from the M&M combo. Defiant00 has shared his experience on a similar topic in the post below,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643368/schiit-modi-and-magni-comparison-to-bifrost-and-asgard#post_8998822

and he noticed minimal differences between the Modi (DAC) and his Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio. Then in a different thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646464/most-efficient-upgrade-from-asus-xonar-stx-with-stock-seinheiser-hd-650s-w

It was suggested that an op-amps replacement on the sound card would be a cheap and effective upgrade.

Quote:
I just got my AKG K550 and not really satisfied with Xonar DG in my PC - trying to build my first dac+amp+headphones set. Found dat Schiit website yesterday the stuff looks amazing, guys, you're doing a great job!. I'm just wondering if Modi + Magni will be a good starting point in that price range or maybe there are some other options around?

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #893 of 1,370

I previously owned the k550, lovely pair of cans and I just used to drive them from my e17 and needed nothing more... If your're not using a DAC+ amp setup you will see a bit difference in terms of clarity sound quality and most important the amazing soundstage of the k550's, but Id advise to just use minimal amping because the k550's are generally easy to drive.

If the m&m is in your budget I'd say go for it ( it would also come in handy if you'll be willing to upgrade in the future) but if youre on a budget then your fine with just a e10 or e17

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #895 of 1,370
Thanks guys.
The funny thing is that e17 costs here in Moscow even more than m+m combo+shipping. So I decided to try the schiit, placed my order some minutes ago 
cool.gif

As soon as it will arrive and break in I'll share my expressions here.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #897 of 1,370
Jan 19, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #898 of 1,370
Quote:
Just read there introduction page, it's hilarious!
biggrin.gif

Well that is what I did. 
I immediately ordered the magni+Modi combo after reading introduction and some info about this company.
99+99+15.79(shipping)= $213.79
At this price, there is not much USA made audio products available.
How does it perform?? Heck I can't judge this schiit combo yet until I actually can use them.
The good thing is, this combo should be a bang of buck for beginners like me 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #899 of 1,370
Just read there introduction page, it's hilarious! :D

Well that is what I did. 
I immediately ordered the magni+Modi combo after reading introduction and some info about this company.
99+99+15.79(shipping)= $213.79
At this price, there is not much USA made audio products available.
How does it perform?? Heck I can't judge this schiit combo yet until I actually can use them.
The good thing is, this combo should be a bang of buck for beginners like me :D
Hope you like it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back