This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Jan 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #916 of 1,370
Any fellow Canadians purchased the M&M set yet? What are the extra costs like?

I live 30 min from the border, so I had it shipped to a mail depot at a border town. I just paid regular continental US shipping, plus an extra $3.50 for the depot fee. And then on my way back across the border, the CBSA fella just waved me through when I declared that Schiit, so no tax. :D

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #917 of 1,370
Also could be electrical noise from the wall socket magni is plugged into. I had a big problem with a powerline adapter in same room as magni and it caused a ton of static and also made me pick up a usb ground loop. When i removed it all the noise including usb case loop went away.

This fixed my problem. Plugged the wall wart directly to my electrical outlet as opposed to using a power strip.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #919 of 1,370
Jan 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #921 of 1,370
Jan 22, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #922 of 1,370
I swear I read somewhere that this Schiit Modi can just be left on? Am I right about this?

I have my Modi right now connected via USB to my Apple Thunderbolt Display. It's literally on 24/7 even if I disconnect my Mac Pro. Will this diminish the lifespan of the Modi or should I unplug the USB Cable each time?

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #923 of 1,370
I swear I read somewhere that this Schiit Modi can just be left on? Am I right about this?

I have my Modi right now connected via USB to my Apple Thunderbolt Display. It's literally on 24/7 even if I disconnect my Mac Pro. Will this diminish the lifespan of the Modi or should I unplug the USB Cable each time?
Just leave it on unless the light bugs you, it barely uses any power... :)

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #924 of 1,370
Oh is that their new bluetooth ones? 

It is. I'll only use BT in mobile settings, hotel rooms etc. but, the Modi can be driven directly from an iPad so I'll probably just keep using the nuforce speaks that way

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #925 of 1,370
Just chiming in, sorry if this has been discussed in depth elsewhere:

I received Modi a few days ago and am using it to feed a pair of Audioengine A2. The A2s are fun, if a little fat in the low-end for my taste.

Magni tightened everything up, so the extended bass is still very present, but better controlled (to my ears).

I can't speak to any improvement in the treble as yet. More serious listening is to come.

I'm especially enjoying Deadmau5 with the combo, although I haven't had a chance to really turn up the volume--they get crazy loud and this is my work setup.

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #927 of 1,370
Out of curiosity, has anyone done a comparison between the M&M pair vs the Fiio E07K + E09K or Fiio E17 Alpen + E09K? Pricewise, these are pretty much neck-in-neck, and both Fiio units has the benefit of being portable.

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #928 of 1,370
Without going through this entire thread, anyone compare an M&M stack against the NuForce HDP?

Right off the bat just looking at specs it looks like the Magni is quite a bit more powerful than the HDP. When driving 300 ohm cans like my HD-650's:

Mangi:
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 260mW

HDP:
152mW rms @ 300 Ohm

EDIT: Just saw this post: LINK

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #929 of 1,370
Quote:
Out of curiosity, has anyone done a comparison between the M&M pair vs the Fiio E07K + E09K or Fiio E17 Alpen + E09K? Pricewise, these are pretty much neck-in-neck, and both Fiio units has the benefit of being portable.

If you need portable, get the FiiO.

Otherwise, get the M/M. They sound virtually identical, but the M/M looks infinitely better on my desk at work. I am currently keeping my E17 but selling the E09K. I will trade the aesthetics any day over $50.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #930 of 1,370
I just collected my Modi / Magni combo from Parcelforce this morning.

Couldn't wait to get it back to the office and I am not disappointed. These have a small footprint and sit on my work desk perfectly. The Modi connected to my PC first time and the Magni is unbelievably powerfull for its size.

These have replaced a uDAC2 and are a definate improvement sound and power wise with my HD650's.

Now I'm wondering whether the iPad will work with these connected via a camera kit with USB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back