This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #511 of 1,370

For these prices I went ahead and ordered both the Magni and Modi. 
What's the typical wait time so far between order date and actual ship date?

"If I order today, when will my amp ship?

Most likely today or tomorrow. Unless there’s a note under the BUY NOW button on the product page."

Though it might take them longer, several of their products they sell are on backorder to complete.

Modi is still in produection, but Jason has noted most orders for the magni/modi should ship by friday, it's also on a first come first serve basis.

I ordered my M&M combo on Dec 14 and they are being shipped today.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #512 of 1,370
Ordered my magni/modi the morning of the 17th and just got an email this morning saying it shipped :) I chose priority mail, and considering it only needs to make it from Cali to Washington state it should be here by Xmas.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #513 of 1,370
Quote:
Another question comes up: with the new USB app that allows a lot of phones to OTG-host now, with a powered USB hub, will the Modi work with Android? If so, I think the MAMO stack with something like a Nexus 7 could arguably be a stellar bedside/covert rig. I'll be testing this theory out whenever I get the Modi with my ICS Thunderbolt. 

You'd need a quite odd USB hub, since the OTG host standard is a little odd. The guest device is required to charge the host, and there is an ID pin that should have something specific on it. Of course it's DIY-able. Go scratch your head in the thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

/ O8h7w

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #514 of 1,370
Quote:
Hmmm - I really like the sound out of my AudioQuest DragonFly and AudioEngine D1 (both USB powered dac/amps) and ordered the Magni to provide some extra punch.  Before I got the Bifrost, the D1 was my DAC (feeding the Lyr) and did pretty well and I could have lived with it but had to try the Bifrost.  The Bifrost provides a more air, dynamics and detail.
Not sure how the 'noisy USB port' would impact the sound.  No problems with a 2009 and now a 2012 Mac Mini and a 2011 MacBook air.  
I've been listening to the Bifrost/Lyr combo for the last hour or so and I just hooked up the D1 to the Lyr when I saw your post - pretty sweet but with less air, dynamics and dimensionality than the Bifrost. 
I'm sure the Modi would be just fine, especially with the Magni.

please, PLEASE  give impressions of the D1+Magni wht you have it!!!!!!
beyersmile.png

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #516 of 1,370
Still waiting for impressions of the Magni with the DT880 600 ohm... But from what Iv'e read the Magni seems bright so it might not help, I still don't have the 880s so I'll see if they are already too bright for me. But I'll only have the Audioengine D1 so I'm sure it won't make them justice... In a real dilemma here 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #517 of 1,370
Dec 21, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #518 of 1,370
Dec 21, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #519 of 1,370
The new Schiit looks pretty cool and I'm tempted to try out the amp. Man I don't know how Schiit continues to pull off the ridiculously low prices but I find it intriguing and awesome nonetheless, kudos to you guys! $99 is definitely a steal no matter how you slice it.
smile.gif

The most intriguing thing that caught my eye was the chassis though. I like the new design and the straight edges. Will there be more of this design on future Schiit? I like it a lot better than the front-curved chassis that we've seen so far.

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #521 of 1,370
Quote:
Do you guys think stacking the Modi on the top of the Asgard will be okay?

I'm pretty sure covering the vent his a big no-no. That said, the dimensions are pretty close to being able to stack it without really covering the vent much/at all. Looking at the pictures, the feet seem to be offset from the very edge of the unit a little bit so you could reasonably avoid covering the vent at all if you're alright with the units not lining up perfectly on the left side. The Modi is listed as 5" wide, which is almost exactly the distance from the left edge of the vent and the left edge of the Asgard. If the feet are .5" from the edge of the Modi, then there is more then enough space on the Asgard to avoid covering the vent at all with the Modi stacked on top. It just wont sit nice and even... The other option would be turning it sideways and completely avoiding that risk, but it doesn't look as nice that way.

The only other issue would be if it still insulates too much heat by sitting on the solid section or if the Modi would be at risk of heat issues too. I feel pretty certain that the vents do the vast majority of the cooling and there is enough surface area for the body to still be a sufficient heatsink, but  I don't want to make incorrect assumptions. I would expect it to be ok, even if the Modi is lined up evenly with the edge of the Asgard. Since it wouldn't be directly covering the vent and it would only be slightly on the edge, I expect it wouldn't cause serious problems.

Have there been direct comparisons of the Bifrost and the Modi yet? I thought someone mentioned it and I tried to search the thread but found nothing. I realize it's still very new, so it's not in the hands of many. I was looking at getting a DAC and had almost completely settled on the Bifrost. I know this doesn't sound the most logical, but the Bifrost was within my price range and I was deciding on that because it seemed like a logical match with my Asgard and would generally meet any needs I have. Now that the Modi is out, I'm also considering that. The part that is not particularly logical is that I'd really only be interested in those 2. I guess my decision for the Bifrost ended up being more of a decision to get Schiit and now there's another option in my price range. This is one area of tech that I don't really have the proper knowledge on, so I'm slowly learning but depending on recommendations and have not been disappointed by that yet. This would be for use with my computer and the Asgard. Obviously, USB is an option with the laptop, but so is SPDIF. Either one is fine. I don't need both. Size is not much of an issue.  Upgrading isn't really an immediate concern, so I'm not really going to consider that a huge factor at this point. I feel like I would be alright with the Modi, but I'm very far from an expert and really have no clue if I'd have noticeable benefits with the Bifrost. I could just go for the Bifrost for peace of mind, but it is a big enough price difference to consider the actual value relative to price.

I'm not going to go as far as to say that money is unimportant, but which would you recommend if you could reasonably afford one or the other? Are there details I should be weighing that I'm not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back