This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 14, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #227 of 1,370
Quote:
No one knows yet!

Let me get this straight, these two products have been available for two whole days, and we don't have reviews yet!?! Please, I'm not stupid enough to believe that...
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #228 of 1,370
I was literally just about to buy an odac until I saw this. Can't wait for impressions on the modi and how it stacks up against other sub-$200 dacs 
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #229 of 1,370
Quote:
I was literally just about to buy an odac until I saw this. Can't wait for impressions on the modi and how it stacks up against other sub-$200 dacs 
biggrin.gif

I just bought the odac last week :frowning2:

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #230 of 1,370
Quote:
I just bought the odac last week :frowning2:

Ouch bad timing, but oh well, just have to wait for comparisons 
wink.gif
 They certainly won't be world apart. As it is, I'm wondering if upgrading from my e17 to a slightly more expensive dac would even be worth it. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #231 of 1,370
Newbie here, I'd like to do some more research but I need to decide by tomorrow if this is my request xmas gift this year :)

I've been wanting to get into the headphone amp/dac world for a while now but didn't want to buy something too cheap to have to upgrade it a year later. Is this the best place to enter the market?

I want to upgrade headphones in the future but every set I want to buy recommends a good amp. So I figured I'd start with the magni and modi as the base for any future headphone purchase. I'm using it for office listening, so I don't need anything portable it will always be plugged into my computer. I'm currently using sennheiser hd 485s.

All that to say, is this a good entry level set? I was planning on saving up for this: 
http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-desktop-amp--dac.php
How do the magni and modi compare?

Also if you could only buy one of the two and you're currently using integrated audio on your computer which one would you buy first? The DAC or the amp?

Thanks for all the help.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #232 of 1,370
Jason you have suceeded now in every damn way other than one in your battle against those who overprice their ****. Nothing against them, but they honestly produce **** comparing to your schiit.

Drop your 4k$ system to the world when it ready and the headphile world shall tremble.

No offense to anyone. Yes you got a business to do, but we here as audiophiles pay for your living. We have every right to say what we wish. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #234 of 1,370
Newbie here, I'd like to do some more research but I need to decide by tomorrow if this is my request xmas gift this year :)

I've been wanting to get into the headphone amp/dac world for a while now but didn't want to buy something too cheap to have to upgrade it a year later. Is this the best place to enter the market?

I want to upgrade headphones in the future but every set I want to buy recommends a good amp. So I figured I'd start with the magni and modi as the base for any future headphone purchase. I'm using it for office listening, so I don't need anything portable it will always be plugged into my computer. I'm currently using sennheiser hd 485s.

All that to say, is this a good entry level set? I was planning on saving up for this: 
http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-desktop-amp--dac.php
How do the magni and modi compare?

Also if you could only buy one of the two and you're currently using integrated audio on your computer which one would you buy first? The DAC or the amp?

Thanks for all the help.

If you are just starting and own a couple of cheap headphones, grab an amp.
Connect the Integrated Sound card to the Amp using 3.5mm to RCA.

Listen with speakers or headphones. Buy a DAC and replace the integrated sound.
Listen with speakers or headphones. Big Difference.

By then you'll see what you've been missing and dig deeper (buy more expensive equipment)
You'll eventually know how to evaluate products by reading people's reviews (bright, dark, treble, Forward, Recessed, Natural, Bass, Highs, mids, etc)
You will pick out key features on what you find ideal and your future purchases will be solely based on those key terms.
After that so called "Big Difference", you'll find some differences down the road with various items, eventually you will find something closer to what you desire . Also, i do not recommend buying cables over $100 if you've just started.

Don't be too harsh on yourself if you end up buying crappy headphone/amp/dac. Not everyone has the same preference as you, some may recommend you a product because he/she thinks it's great. I was recommended the Q701 & HFI-2400 and they both pretty much suck (imo)

As for the Link's concern, for $700 i don't recommend that.
I will say that the Asus Xonar Essence One is better for $580. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Xonar-Essence-One-USB-D-A-Converter-Headphone-Amplifier-/200828021980?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item2ec2486cdc)
After buying that, one possible future upgrade is to replace the six opamps inside with MUSE01. That's 6x Muse 01 Opamps (Each Muse01 is around $50, $300 Total)
The final price will be around $880-$900 which is as good as a $1000+ DAC/Amp. 120SNR is a win in my book.

Good luck little trooper!

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #235 of 1,370
The Magni doesn't look like it will power he400's, so do I save up for a lyr or something?

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #238 of 1,370
The Magni doesn't look like it will power he400's, so do I save up for a lyr or something?

They said it will power both the HE-400 and HE-500 fine on the facts page.

However no one has tried so we can't discuss about sound quality. Power it has, reviews it doesn't.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #239 of 1,370

You're kidding, right? Over 1 watt at 40ohms. That is plenty for the HE400 which doesnt even need a lot of power to begin with. The E17 drives it fine, and thats considerably weaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back