This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #211 of 1,370
You can't use the Mic on the Slyr with the DSS. The best alternative that will allow voice chat for cheap is the Recon 3D. The DSS only works with Turtle Beach headaets in terms of mics.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #212 of 1,370
Quote:
Y'know... if I buy two of these and hack together some cables, it would be a great cheap "balanced" headphone amp  
biggrin.gif

Quote:
But how to volume match the amps? Lol.

Max the amps, control the volume from my dac. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #214 of 1,370
Max the amps, control the volume from my dac. 

Is that good for the amps? Volume controlled DAC? Woah. Wait, I could essentially do the same thing, if use my SA-31 as the the pre-out to the Magni. Just not sure on maxing out an amp's volume pot. Not to mention, the SA-31 is like a bajillion times more powerful than 2 Magnis anyway, lol.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #215 of 1,370
Dec 14, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #216 of 1,370
Quote:
Is that good for the amps? Volume controlled DAC? Woah.

You see speaker power amps without volume controls all the time. You just feed them a signal from a preamp.

A dac with volume control is no different really. The pot is just in a marginally different spot along the chain. Well, really it's the same spot, just differs in whether it's in the dac casing or the amp casing. 

In my case I'm using a Focusrite Saffire 6 usb, so there's probably a buffer after the pot, but close enough. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #222 of 1,370
Sweet mama. If I'm ever going to get a DAC/amp combo, this'd be my first choice. Same time, i've just dropped quite a bit on a new pair that have a low impedence (24 ohms), so I'm not sure about the amp. New to computer audio involving dac/amps :s 

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #224 of 1,370
                                                                                                    W O W

Schiit,    I had to order the Magni.....just wish I had a need for the Modi ! 
Congratulations Mike and Jason et all.....You have put the Head Fi crowd on it's ear yet again. (No pun intended)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back