This is really what soundstage is...
Sep 7, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #166 of 177
I'm an idiot when it comes to MPC stuff, so I just downloaded the MPC plugin for dbPoweramp and converted the MPC file to 320 MP3.

Man those ocean waves are crazy! It's not even relaxing because it's so engulfing! Great job, I got to the 15 minute mark before it was diaper changing time, so I'll make sure to listen to the whole thing later! Nice!

Sep 7, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #167 of 177
Jahn, your needless transcoding made me shiver
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm sure the difference you got from this transcode was negligable but here's how to stop you being useless with MPC.

i) The easiest option, just install foobar2000 .. Its a superb player, one of the best technically. It's also free!!! After install it will ask you what associations you want to give it (what files do you want to play with foobar2000) .. simply select "Nothing" in the drop down.. and thats it.. you have foobar2000 installed but it will never run unless YOU run it!!

Download it from here

http://www.foobar2000.org/

The special version includes lots of extras for a bigger download (still a few megs only) and is the recommended version to install.. you get a nice ABX tool installed then to be able to do blind tests with.

Thats it.. run the program, drag the mpc file onto it.. press play.. it just works (and will do with ALL formats)

ii) if using winamp then simply download the plugin, listed on this page

http://www.musepack.net/index.php?pg=win

Close winamp if running... install.. rerun winamp.. drag and drop mpc file on winamp, it just plays

iii) if using another player i'm pretty sure there will be an MPC plugin for it, sometimes the winamp one works.

Basically just use option i)

every windows head-fi-er needs to have foobar2000 installed, even if its not their default player, it really is the swiss army knife of audio apps.. your dbpoweramp is good for that too, but foobar2000 is clean, and wont touch the rest of your windows if you don't want it to.

Use this to enjoy the mpcs as they are
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #168 of 177
Really quite awesome - the fireworks
eek.gif
I was just about to write about the possible importance of the construction of a binaural dummy-head and the pick-up pattern and direction of the microphones used in comparison to the, probably, I thought, different pattern of a human outer ear. Then - I switched to the stock cable of my HD-650. Good lord - what a recording as to soundstage and that in MP3...What if it had been in WMA or such.
eek.gif

EDIT: Sorry, I intended to also say that I heard, and felt
600smile.gif
, all the three axis flawlessly, as to soundstage, having no issues with a hole in front of me. The explosions and ambient sounds were so easy to locate, even vertically!

Sep 7, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #169 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Really quite awesome - the fireworks
eek.gif

Then - I switched to the stock cable of my HD-650. Good lord - what a recording as to soundstage and that in MP3...What if it had been in WMA or such.
eek.gif

They're in MPC, not MP3... I don't know what the WMA comment was regarding as WMA (apart from in lossless mode, and then you'd use FLAC or similar instead) isn't really that good a codec.. its not in the same league as lame --alt-preset standard mp3s, and no where near MPC ..

enjoy it.. you really shouldn't be able to tell the MPC decode from the original PCM recording, its THAT good with difficult stuff and relatively these recordings aren't too hard to encode (as shown by their lower bitrate than music done at those rates)

Sep 25, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #170 of 177
I've just finished uploading a 2nd guest sample by Dallas Simpson. At the usual address.

http://binaural.jimtreats.com

Quote:

4th May 2002: Guest sample: Dallas Simpson's "MUD!" Lambley Dumbles, Lambley, Nottinghamshire (extract) "An exploration of a muddy stream valley around midnight. The stream passes through grazing pastures and this section has two troughs cut into the steep clay bank to allow grazing cattle access to this wooded stream valley for water and shade. The activity of the cattle is to churn up the clay subsoil to create a magnificent "mud bath" along the stream bed. There are two metal gates across the steep valley to constrain the cattle to this section of the stream bed and this recorded extract of my activities takes pkace between these two metal gates. At one point an owl flew down the small, steep, wooded valley passing my head at a distance of about 1 metre. It was, of course completely silent and left no trace on the recording. I have attempted to transcend the physical reality in producing this soundwork so that the mud, breaths and hearbeats, plus other improvised found sounds, offer an imaginative sonic narrative for the listener to dwell in and engage their imagination. Recorded in binaural stereo for headphone listening. "

Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #171 of 177
Just a heads up that i've uploaded a new set of recordings to my website

5th August 2003: Frisbee down the park with a marching band
http://binaural.jimtreats.com

My main thread for my recordings has a bit more information on it, here

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...91#post2026791

Enjoy.. comments as i say are appreciated.. perhaps in the other thread though, though to me it doesn't really matter
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #174 of 177
574084A1-C68A-7844-C8907947141900AD.jpg

oh and + 1 on what Josephkim said, the link is forbidden now =(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back