Thinking of maybe changing my K701's for something more... musical
Jan 4, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #16 of 36

Quote:
Heya,

Denon D5000's.
HE-400's.

Very best,

Quote:
I'll second the endorsement for the D5000.  

(The HD600 are no slouches either.)

Are the D5000 much better than the D2000? Enough to justify the price difference?
normal_smile .gif
And in which ways are they better?

Quote:
I don't doubt OP's impressions at all; most 70x systems sound pretty awful. The really good DACs seem to be either unobtanium or prohibitively expensive. Amps not quite as much, but decent ones generally cost way more than headphones. As for the minimum money necessary needed to make the 701s sound good? I have no idea. The best 701-based system I've heard uses a one-of-a-kind source and OOP Headamp Dynalo.

Hence my suggestion to look into Alessandros.

No, I definitely don't think it sounds awful. When it comes to details, clarity and soundstage the K701's are completely insane, unlike anything I've ever heard before. Its just that they lack emotion.. If there was some magical way to give them more warmth I'd definitely keep them.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #17 of 36
Haha, any budget? If the sky's the limit, I think the Audez'e LCD-3s are definietly worth an audition.

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #19 of 36

I think it's more a matter of subjectivity than all that....but I've never heard one of those multi thousand dollar set-ups, either, so perhaps I should withold judgement. But, quite a few forum members have heard them with very good setups and still find them lacking. It seems that most of the folks who like the 70X, would like it even out of a decent $300 amp like the m-stage, and those who don't care for them, would feel the same even they spent $2000 or more on an amp and DAC. Of course I could be wrong, but it's probably more a matter of chocolate vs. vanilla(subjective preference), than anything else. That's why Baskin Robbins has all those flavors! And most of us get bored with just one, and are probably doomed to try them all.

I don't doubt OP's impressions at all; most 70x systems sound pretty awful. The really good DACs seem to be either unobtanium or prohibitively expensive. Amps not quite as much, but decent ones generally cost way more than headphones. As for the minimum money necessary to make the 701s sound good? I have no idea. The best 701-based system I've heard uses a one-of-a-kind source and OOP Headamp Dynalo.

Hence my suggestion to look into Alessandros.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #20 of 36

I've heard 701s on some fairly expensive systems and found them lacking as well. The common complaint seems to be lack of bass, which I believe is as much a source issue as it is an amp issue. The bass thing is not all that subjective; most people want good bass. I have heard reports of variance in the production run, but I think the newer ones should be bass-neutral after some burn-in. The other complaints I've seen are with the width of the soundstage and the headband, which is a bit more personal preference.

But anyways, I do believe this one is a case of choc vs vanilla. My hunch is that OP's definition of "musical" is what I would call "colored." Nothing wrong with that, of course; I don't own any neutral cans myself.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #21 of 36
Instead of new cans I would swap the m-stage for a Heed CanAmp. It makes the K701 sound warmer and musical without loosing out on clarity and head stage

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #22 of 36

Quote:
Instead of new cans I would swap the m-stage for a Heed CanAmp. It makes the K701 sound warmer and musical without loosing out on clarity and head stage

That seems to be the amp to use with the 70X assuming you can afford one. It depends whether the OP wants an improved 701, or something significantly different. The hd600 would be significantly different... and quite a few folks would say, better. 

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #23 of 36
I just traded in a pair of AKG 702s for the Sennheiser HD 650s.  While I liked the detail of the 702s and the cans could produce nice bass when it was present, I do find the 650s to be an overall more pleasant and musical experience.  Its probably not quite as accurate, but its got a warmer sound that is just eminently listenable.

They are an extra $100 or so, but I think it is worth the improvement.

Barring that, I found the Beyer 880s to be a nice compromise between neutrality,detail and bass -- but definitely not as warm or fun sounding as the 650s.  Probably a midway point between the other twos.

That's just my opinion.  YMMV.

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:
That seems to be the amp to use with the 70X assuming you can afford one. It depends whether the OP wants an improved 701, or something significantly different. The hd600 would be significantly different... and quite a few folks would say, better. 

I don't want something entirely different. Like I said, I just want more warmth and bass impact, I basically adore everything else about the K701's. Well ok, a more comfortable headband would have been nice as well..

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #25 of 36

Quote:
I don't want something entirely different. Like I said, I just want more warmth and bass impact, I basically adore everything else about the K701's. Well ok, a more comfortable headband would have been nice as well..

I guess it depends how much more of those qualities you want. hd600 will not be a huge jump in the amount of bass by any means....it's not like they're bass monsters or anything...or overly warm...but it's more fleshed out and weighty...as are the mids.  I imagine a different amp will give a much more subtle change. 

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #26 of 36
I suggest you continue using K701 while saving money for a more expensive headphone like Denon D7000 or Audeze LCD-2. Or I think you want another sound signature ASAP to pair with K701, there are many options. Or you might upgrade either your source or amp.

I think any of the three options above will keep your headfi experience ball rolling and rolling....Though for me, I only want one headphone. I hate using one headphone and another, I hate switching from Grado to AKG, AKG to Grado. I just one very good headphone, then simply upgrade and upgrade the source and the amp.
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #27 of 36
I'll say it once more... Heed CanAmp 
k701smile.gif

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:
I suggest you continue using K701 while saving money for a more expensive headphone like Denon D7000 or Audeze LCD-2. Or I think you want another sound signature ASAP to pair with K701, there are many options. Or you might upgrade either your source or amp.

I think any of the three options above will keep your headfi experience ball rolling and rolling....Though for me, I only want one headphone. I hate using one headphone and another, I hate switching from Grado to AKG, AKG to Grado. I just one very good headphone, then simply upgrade and upgrade the source and the amp.
biggrin.gif

The same goes for me, I also only want one pair of headphones. A pair that does well with all types of music.
normal_smile .gif

Quote:
I'll say it once more... Heed CanAmp 
k701smile.gif

Have you compared the M-stage and the CanAmp yourself and if so can you give me any feedback about it?
normal_smile .gif

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:
I just want more warmth and bass impact […]

These were also exactly my feelings and wishes eight months ago, as I decided to switch to a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990/600 Ω, a switch I’ve never regretted.

Werner.

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #30 of 36
I had the same feeling when testing the Q701, which is leading me to choose the SRH 940 instead. Still got a week for me to decide. 

If closed can is alright for you, definitely give the Shure SRH 940 a try. To me it's much more musical. More bass presence yet it's tight and accurate. IMO even more detailed and clarity than the 701. And the soundstage, though not wider, has a really accurate spatial reproduction that rivals the HD800 in some ways (HD800 still better of course).

I highly suggest you audition it :)

dL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back