Thinking of maybe changing my K701's for something more... musical
Jan 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

GamerOne

New Head-Fier
I both love and dislike my K701 at the same time.. When it comes to details, clarity and soundstage they are truly amazing, but at the same time I experience the sound to be a bit cold and emotionless.

I've been using them for about 150-200h now, but the more I listen to them the more I realise that I find myself "analysing" the music rather than actually enjoying it, its like the music isn't affecting me emotionally. And it doesn't matter what music I'm listening to, it feels the same way with everything.

So now I'm considering changing them for something with more warmth/musicality and perhaps a bit more bass impact.(And also something with a more comfortable headband 
tongue_smile.gif
).
Though I still want something with lots of detail, good clarity and a decent soundstage.
And I still want a high quality bass that isn't bloated/muddy/exaggerated. I want a detailed, fast and deep bass, just with a bit more physical impact than the K701's.

I can also mention that I have a quite mixed taste in music, so I need something that works well with everything.
I mainly listen to pop, rock, trance, techno, new age, folk, acoustic, orchestral and classical music.

So, wich cans would you guys recommend?
I've been looking a bit at both Denon AH-D2000 and Beyerdynamic DT990 wich both seem to fit my demands quite well. Any opinions on these two?

Do feel free to recommend other cans as well though!

I should also mention that I have a Matrix M-stage, so I want a pair of cans that work well with it since I really don't feel like getting a new amp 
regular_smile .gif

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 36
bump. I have similar feelings about my K601s, looking to maybe get something new that's a little more intimate and not so analytical

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 36
What's your budget? You may want to take a look at the upcoming Hifiman HE-400, especially given its special $349 pre-order price. If the performance is even remotely similar as the current crop of orthos (LCD-2/3, HE-6, HE-500) then that's a bargain. 

There aren't many impressions yet (I think only two people have heard the HE-400), but orthos are known for being very musical and natural-sounding, while being versatile enough to work with a majority of genres well. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 36

Quote:
Isn't their sound signature quite similiar to the K701's?

yes it is , peraphs even more analytical .

i would sugest HD650/600 or the DT-990 too, and HE-400 like Questhate  pointed or HE-300 . 

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 36
"So now I'm considering changing them for something with more warmth/musicality and perhaps a bit more bass impact."

Sounds like the hd600 is what you want. I had the same issue with the 702, and the hd580(same drivers as 600) solved it to perfection....or as close as you can get to perfection for what they cost. The 70X is like a beautiful super model who's too pale and thin. The hd580 puts some meat on her bones....and some nice voluptuous curves... and brings some sunlight to the overly pale complexion. 
happy_face1.gif
 As always...YMMV

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 36

Quote:
"So now I'm considering changing them for something with more warmth/musicality and perhaps a bit more bass impact."

Sounds like the hd600 is what you want. I had the same issue with the 702, and the hd580(same drivers as 600) solved it to perfection....or as close as you can get to perfection for what they cost. The 70X is like a beautiful super model who's too pale and thin. The hd580 puts some meat on her bones....and some nice voluptuous curves... and brings some sunlight to the overly pale complexion. 
happy_face1.gif
 As always...YMMV

Haha very nice description. You must have some psychic insight into my dating preferences as well 
dt880smile.png
 You've got me more than interested in trying out a pair of HD600s.

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 36
Never heard the DT990.

I have both the K701 and D2000 right now. They are perfect compliments. The D2000 delivers the bass punch and deepness that the K701 may not on some music. Just bought the HD600 and will try them out as well. If my memory serves me right (from CanJam and meets), if you're looking for polar opposite cans with the K701, D2000 fits the bill better than the HD600. Both the HD600 and K701 are reference cans, and are meant to be analytical and neutral meaning if the music is bass light, this is what you'll get. Heck take a look at the frequency response graphs from headroom and you'll see just how similar they are, but take it with a grain of salt. Tbh, if you were going to buy a pair of sennheiser cans, I'd take HD650 over the HD600 for your preference.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #13 of 36
I think the K701s are plenty musical. Can't speak for the rest of your gear, though.

I've always wanted to hear an Alessandro, actually. People liken then to more neutral Grados, which would be pretty awesome. They're easy to drive, too, unlike most AKG things.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #14 of 36

Quote:
I think the K701s are plenty musical. Can't speak for the rest of your gear, though.

I've always wanted to hear an Alessandro, actually. People liken then to more neutral Grados, which would be pretty awesome. They're easy to drive, too, unlike most AKG thin

I guess the OP can't hear correctly.  Where do you buy those 'musical' amps and DAC's so all those who prefer other cans over the 70x can get one too? 
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #15 of 36
I don't doubt OP's impressions at all; most 70x systems sound pretty awful. The really good DACs seem to be either unobtanium or prohibitively expensive. Amps not quite as much, but decent ones generally cost way more than headphones. As for the minimum money necessary to make the 701s sound good? I have no idea. The best 701-based system I've heard uses a one-of-a-kind source and OOP Headamp Dynalo.

Hence my suggestion to look into Alessandros.

Quote:
I guess the OP can't hear correctly.  Where do you buy those 'musical' amps and DAC's so all those who prefer other cans over the 70x can get one too? 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back