Thinking about Bose On-ear...please persuade me against them!
Dec 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jetblk328i

Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

As you may know I am a bit of bass head. I tried XB500s, didnt like them, got M50s which are great, but I was thinking about something on ear for better portability and comfort.

I tried on the B&W P5 and enjoyed them...bass was decent and build quality is excellent. Too pricy tho.

Then a friend had me try on his On-Ear Bose. Knowing how much they are despised there, i expected absolute trash, however, surprisingly the bass was REALLY powerful. Felt like more than Beats! Sure, the mids and highs weren't as good as my M50s but if feel like the amount of bass trumps my M50s. 

So now, I am thinking about getting a pair. Theyre comfortable, light, and the bass is seemed impressive. 

Are all On ear models better at bass? Seemed like the P5 was decent as well...

So, should I take the pledge and join the dark side? 

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 16
If you want bass but want to stay away from the over priced over hyped brands...try something from Beyerdynamics (770/80 Pros) or one of the offerings from Denon. That way you get all the bass you could want but some quality sound to go along with it. You'll also feel better about yourself for not wasting your money on Bose.

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 16

[size=11pt][size=11pt]I cannot really talk you out of it, there are some songs I prefer with my Bose .I ordered a new AE2 last week to replace my old one. Music is personal. If you tried it and like it that should count for something, I think. But, I guess you can always consider alternates too, based on others experience. [/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt]Good Luck  [/size][/size]

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 16
I tried the P5. Sure the bass decent, but the treble was a clipped and distorted mess.

There are many options if you want bass. I personally would recommend the Ultrasone HFI 580. They have exceptional bass impact and detail ratio. There is alot of potential for bass impact. If you want more, call on an EQ and it can give you more bass impact than the likes of Monster Beats Studios, Denons, Audio Technica M50s, or even the higher priced Ultrasones can possibly give. The only headphone that have topped it in bass impact is the Sony XB700 that I have heard. If you want, you can really make the Sonys vibrate your vision, but the detail offered in those headphones leave much to be desired. Plus, I'm not sure if anyone wants MAXIMUM bass impact. The HFI 580 can get close to it without being as low res as the Sonys.

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 16
Muffled mess, All I can say.

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 16
Bose headphones are not bad per say, but for what they cost you could get better headphones and an amp.

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 16
lol i have some well-used bose on-ear. they are ok just overpriced. i'll sell them cheap 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 16
I am new to this forum but not to Bose. I. Used to have the OE phones and they were horrible. To much bass and nothing of anything else. I upgraded to the HD555 and have enjoyed them for a year now.

Two weeks ago I got a pair of the new AE2 for my sister for christmas, she wanted me to run em in for her. I have to say I think Bose have hit the nail on the head with these! These headphones are extreamly clear, crisp and well balanced. After burn in the soundstage became wide and open, mids and highs are clear and meaningful. The bass is great but not boomy in any way like the old OE. The bass surprisingly goes down very low, there were a few surprises for me, but it never stands out over the rest of the sound.

I was so impressed I have bought a pair for myself now, they are sssooooooo comfortable!

I think these will replace the HD555 :)

Seems at last (so very long last) Bose are going for a balanced sound. Try them out they take a few listens but I think most will like them :)

Hope that helps the OP

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #13 of 16
i owned these headphones. they are pretty portable and offer a very "treble-ly" sound signature. they almost have no bass. if listened to at loud levels the headphones will start to distort.

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 16
No highs no lows, must be Bose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back