ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Aug 12, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #992 of 1,211
In your opinion, sure. If you think it silly, great. Makes zero difference to me either way.
Graphs are useful for multitude of reasons to most people, that's why they are so widely used by manufacturers, audio scientists, experts, customers, etc.

I suggest, if you make a silly statement - personalize it: "Graphs are useless FOR ME".

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #994 of 1,211
You seem to think your opinion on graphs is an objective fact and applicable to me. It isn't. I really couldn't care less what you regard as silly.
You missed the point, I am not persuading you. My point is simple but I will repeat it, and will stop the off-topic on this: "graphs are useless" as an universal claim is silly, while "graphs are useless FOR ME" is just your own opinion.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #995 of 1,211
The main difficulty with the earphones is the fit.

Not to mention the tips (shape, materials) for the universal versions... 😞

Even if the fit and seal are good, we have to considere the different depths of insertion, the angles of the cannulas in relation to the ear canals, some resonances, and so on.

It's an endless concern that totally determines the perceived sound.

It can implies a lot of differencies between theoretical measurements and diverse individuals (morphologies...). Hence, for exactly the same product, but according to different people, sometimes profoundly different opinions are pronunced.

Something perfect for me can be a mess for someone else : real-life experience.

It's a pity, it's (very) frustrating but it is an established fact... 🫣😭

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #996 of 1,211
So, ordered my mkiii Friday from bloom audio because I like those guys. I'll compare to mkii and prestige (og, not ltd) when I receive them.

As for graphs, I find them useful in telling me general signature because I like bass that packs a punch, but I EQ my headphones anyway to suit my tastes, which is generally a W. Looking forward to mkiii.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #999 of 1,211
Would love to read some comparisons of the MK3 vs u12t.
On it.

I mean, when my local hifi store receives their Mk3 sample so I can audition. But I have a good feeling about the Mk3.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #1,000 of 1,211
On it.

I mean, when my local hifi store receives their Mk3 sample so I can audition. But I have a good feeling about the Mk3.
From @Smirk 24 :

"The tuning is very different. The MMK3 is an aggressive U-shape while the U12t is a bass-boosted neutral.

Technically, the MMK3 trades blows. The MMK3 has a nice coloration while the U12t has a neutral tonality.

The mid-bass on the MMK3 is very elevated which helps to balance its equally elevated treble. The U12t bass is tighter, a little less boomy. The MMK3 bass is a little more textured to my ears.

The mids are about equal. The MMK3 has that nice coloration and is a little leaner. It reminds me of the S8 mids with its sweet timbre and leanness. The U12t mids are neutral and smooth. The MMK3 vocals are more forward.

Both have issues with some upper treble sharpness. The MMK3’s is much more exaggerated and tizzy. There are a handful of people that I’ve heard sold the MMK3 because of the upper treble and I can understand why.

Currently, I’m trying to tip-roll to control the treble and I’ve had some success with Azla Sedna Lights. I’m going to try a handful of others to see if I can salvage the MMK3.

The U12t is less musical but plays everything well. It never falls on its face regardless of the genre and complexity/speed of the song. The MMK3 has issues when there’s a lot of cymbals and other types of upper treble energy.

One last note. I understand this is the third iteration of the Monarch, but to me, it’s a completely different type of tuning to the MK2. I think it’s a little misleading to call it the MK3. It’s more of a different IEM altogether.

Despite the MMK3’s issues, it’s a technically competent IEM, probably the most technically capable IEM in the 1k bracket. It’s certainly endgame worthy and it’s a great value at 1k if you can handle the treble or figure out ways to make it tolerable."

Aug 21, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #1,001 of 1,211
From @Smirk 24 :

"The tuning is very different. The MMK3 is an aggressive U-shape while the U12t is a bass-boosted neutral.

Technically, the MMK3 trades blows. The MMK3 has a nice coloration while the U12t has a neutral tonality.

The mid-bass on the MMK3 is very elevated which helps to balance its equally elevated treble. The U12t bass is tighter, a little less boomy. The MMK3 bass is a little more textured to my ears.

The mids are about equal. The MMK3 has that nice coloration and is a little leaner. It reminds me of the S8 mids with its sweet timbre and leanness. The U12t mids are neutral and smooth. The MMK3 vocals are more forward.

Both have issues with some upper treble sharpness. The MMK3’s is much more exaggerated and tizzy. There are a handful of people that I’ve heard sold the MMK3 because of the upper treble and I can understand why.

Currently, I’m trying to tip-roll to control the treble and I’ve had some success with Azla Sedna Lights. I’m going to try a handful of others to see if I can salvage the MMK3.

The U12t is less musical but plays everything well. It never falls on its face regardless of the genre and complexity/speed of the song. The MMK3 has issues when there’s a lot of cymbals and other types of upper treble energy.

One last note. I understand this is the third iteration of the Monarch, but to me, it’s a completely different type of tuning to the MK2. I think it’s a little misleading to call it the MK3. It’s more of a different IEM altogether.

Despite the MMK3’s issues, it’s a technically competent IEM, probably the most technically capable IEM in the 1k bracket. It’s certainly endgame worthy and it’s a great value at 1k if you can handle the treble or figure out ways to make it tolerable."
If the bass of Monarch III is exactly the same as hype2, but with the same or more tech as the Monarch II, I might just buy a unit for myself to complement the U12t. It’s all down to the soundstage imaging and the potentially troublesome upper treble now.

Aug 21, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #1,003 of 1,211
If the bass of Monarch III is exactly the same as hype2, but with the same or more tech as the Monarch II, I might just buy a unit for myself to complement the U12t. It’s all down to the soundstage imaging and the potentially troublesome upper treble now.
I hope you like the Monarch 3! Assuming the treble isn't an issue to your ears, it's great set and I can see it being a good compliment to the U12t.

Aug 23, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #1,005 of 1,211
So mkii arrived today. I need to compare to mkii, but next to prestige, it is super mid centric. Prestige almost felt too bassy, which I've never thought before as I love a good bass slam, but these are great in the mids with a little more oomph in the bass. Really like them. Mkii likely going on sale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back