ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Aug 25, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #1,021 of 1,212
@Smirk 24 so seems like you prefer the Mk3 to the Mk2 right? Using same Azla tips, the Mk3 doesnt bother you anymore? How about the mids between the two? Would you recommend selling the u12t and getting the MMk3 then?
Sorry for so many questions but your decriptions are ones of my favorites :wink:
I think the mids are more or less equal between the three IEMs. It really comes down to tonality and preference.

Using the Azla Shorts, the MMK3 treble is lovely. I still maintain that the MMK2 has a better, less problematic treble overall but it's close.

I slightly prefer the MMK3 to the MMK2 but that's mostly because I find the MMK2 mid-bass to be soft and somewhat anemic (I fixed this with an aftermarket cable btw). If I was comparing just the mids and treble, I think they're about equal or the MMK2 takes the nod.

I don't recommend selling the U12t unless you're absolutely sure. The U12t resale value is about $1300-1400 USD which ends up being a big loss from its $2000 MSRP.

If you can demo the MMK3 I'd give that a try before making any final decisions. Don't let your curiosity get the best of you.

Aug 25, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #1,022 of 1,212
I think the mids are more or less equal between the three IEMs. It really comes down to tonality and preference.

Using the Azla Shorts, the MMK3 treble is lovely. I still maintain that the MMK2 has a better, less problematic treble overall but it's close.

I slightly prefer the MMK3 to the MMK2 but that's mostly because I find the MMK2 mid-bass to be soft and somewhat anemic (I fixed this with an aftermarket cable btw). If I was comparing just the mids and treble, I think they're about equal or the MMK2 takes the nod.

I don't recommend selling the U12t unless you're absolutely sure. The U12t resale value is about $1300-1400 USD which ends up being a big loss from its $2000 MSRP.

If you can demo the MMK3 I'd give that a try before making any final decisions. Don't let your curiosity get the best of you.
Thanx! Yeah i really love the u12t and can feel that would somehow regret selling them, even for equally good iems. I dont feel like im missing anything with them and their detail retrieval, bass response and layering are awesome. And i still have the MMk2 lol, always forgetting it, even tho i still think they have better timbre and very similar technicalities. But they lack the mid bass of the u12t.

Aug 25, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #1,023 of 1,212

If one has the Mmk3 would it make sense to buy the u12t? Would it actually bring something noticeably different/better?

Aug 25, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #1,025 of 1,212
If one has the Mmk3 would it make sense to buy the u12t? Would it actually bring something noticeably different/better?
They're very different.

Going from the MMK3, here's what you'd get with the U12t:
- Neutral tonality
- Recessed upper-mids
- Similarly elevated upper-treble
- Marginally better imaging
- Slightly better resolution(?) they're about the same
- Less musicality
- Tighter bass and less bass decay
- Smaller shell size/narrower nozzles (can be a pro/con depending on your ears)
- Tuneable bass with APEX modules
- Mediocre stock cable

Edit: The U12t is a great IEM, I own one. Keep in mind I'm comparing it to the MMK3 here.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #1,027 of 1,212
The mids are very different! As a bass player on stage the u12t projects much better. Every note is clearly there. Without eq the MMK2 is not useable. But for listening I find the MMK2 absolutely enjoyable!

Aug 28, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #1,028 of 1,212
The mids are very different! As a bass player on stage the u12t projects much better. Every note is clearly there. Without eq the MMK2 is not useable. But for listening I find the MMK2 absolutely enjoyable!
Thanks! I was asking how the Mmk3 compares to the u12t but it is very interesting to read regarding the Mmk2 vs u12t too.

I think the Mmk3 combines Mmk2 type of mids with a bass more similar to the u12t (has the necessary weight without eq) Mmk3 looks like a well balanced option targeting wider audience.

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #1,029 of 1,212

I just got the MMK2 and have been loving the tone and timbre. However, I too find the the mid bass to be just a touch soft. What cable did you get to solve this? Thanks in advance.

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #1,030 of 1,212
I just got the MMK2 and have been loving the tone and timbre. However, I too find the the mid bass to be just a touch soft. What cable did you get to solve this? Thanks in advance.
I use the Effect Audio Code 23. It fixes the mid-bass for me and then some, however, the Code 23 is an ergonomic nightmare (and expensive).

I’m going to try the Ares S 8W in a few days. I’ll let you know how that pairing goes.

Aug 28, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #1,031 of 1,212
My experience is that cable is absolutely perfect technically, comfort might be not great, but technicalities are perfect. Play a bit more with tips, for me the Azla SednaEarfit (black) work perfectly.

Aug 28, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #1,032 of 1,212
No such thing exists, it's all psychoacoustic effect.

Aug 28, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,033 of 1,212
My experience is that cable is absolutely perfect technically, comfort might be not great, but technicalities are perfect. Play a bit more with tips, for me the Azla SednaEarfit (black) work perfectly.
The technicalities are great, that’s true. The OP does have a point about the mid-bass being soft. This is my experience as well, and there are others. I find the mid-bass (with the stock cable + SpinFit W1 tips) to have very soft/pillowy mid-bass transients and a lack of texture.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #1,034 of 1,212
Which part are you referring to when you say it doesn’t exist and is a psychoacoustic effect?

Real question, what is the difference between a psychoacoustic effect and how we perceive sound? I’m curious about this.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #1,035 of 1,212
Absolutely. If a cable has issues (broken, partially broken, poor conductivity, etc.) or is not sufficient to transfer the current without losses (mostly irrelevant for iems, relevant for speakers) it will cause problems. In any other case there is absolutely no way that changing cables changes the sound. Different materials have no impact on the sound unless they cause issues with transferring the current (irrelevant for iems unless a cable was made from some rubbish).

The sole and only function of an iem/speaker cable is to transfer current. If that is done without losses, any and all cables have absolutely no difference between them in terms of sound.

And it is not even psychiacoustics. Psychiacoustics involve some changes in the sound in a way that creates a certain illusion. In this case it is either pure self-deception or pure selling of snake oil.

If someone tells you anything else, he/she/it has no idea about physics and cannot provide any real proof for sure (again unless there is a problem with a given cable).

My point is not to argue or change anyone's opinion. I just want to warn those readers who are open to understand something that will save them lots of money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back