ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Aug 23, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #1,006 of 1,213
So mkii arrived today. I need to compare to mkii, but next to prestige, it is super mid centric. Prestige almost felt too bassy, which I've never thought before as I love a good bass slam, but these are great in the mids with a little more oomph in the bass. Really like them. Mkii likely going on sale

Aug 23, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #1,007 of 1,213
Cross-posting this from the MMK3 thread:

MMK2 vs. MMK3 impressions

Tuning:
MMK2: Neutral with a sub-bass-focused bass boost
MMK3: U-shaped

Tonality:
The MMK2 has a neutral tonality while the MMK2 has a colored, slightly euphoric tonality. Both are lean, the MMK2 is even more so. It's ethereal.

Imaging:
The soundstage is a bit wider on the MMK3 and a little bigger overall. Imaging goes to the MMK3 as well by a small margin but they're very close.

Bass:
The biggest difference is in the bass. As many have mentioned, the MMK2 mid-bass lacks punch and texture. I wish it had +2dB mid-bass overall. Its transient edges are soft and pillowy as is its bass density. There's a satisfying amount of sub-bass but overall I found the bass, particularly the mid-bass lacking in quality and quantity.

The MMK3 on the other hand has really good bass. Depending on the tips, its transient edges can feel a bit boomy and bloated, but with the correct tips its not an issue. The transient edges are better-defined than the MMK2's and its bass is better textured and has more density. It's overall more engaging.

Mids:
The mids are similar in their presentation. I think the MMK3's is slightly more forward but they're both placed about equally and could go either way depending on the tips used. The MMK2's vocals are slightly more ethereal and wispy than the MMK3's. The main difference is the coloration. The MMK2's tonality is neutral, while the MMK3's is colored, slightly lean and euphoric. Both have great mids.

Treble:
The treble is different. Where the MMK2's treble is more neutral, the MMK3's is elevated, particularly in the upper-treble. The MMK2's treble is well-extended, well-tuned and generally safer than the MMK3's - it's beautifully done. The MMK3's upper-treble may be too much for some people and really enjoyable to others. I think this will come down to tolerance/preference. Personally, I think the MMK2 has the better treble overall. It's more airy, better-tuned, and less fatiguing.

Resolution:
The MMK3 is slightly more resolving than the MMK2 overall but they resolve at about the same level. They're both highly resolving with plenty of microdetails.

Other notes:
They're both Monarchs, but very different IEMs. The MMK2 and MMK3 could have been different models and in some ways this may have been more appropriate. The
MMK3 is a significant departure from the MMK2 both in tuning and tonality. As such, they can serve as complimentary pairs.

The MMK3 is slightly more technical overall and in my opinion, a little more fun. The MMK2 is very well-tuned, still very technical, and has an elite treble. Compared to the MMK3, it's more neutral and therefore may lack a little character to some people.

In my opinion, the MMK2 still competes in the 1k range with IEMs like the U4s and Helios, but not significantly above it. This is no small feat as the 1k range has become crowded with great IEMs as of late.

The MMK3 on the other hand, competes handily with the Diva, a $1600 IEM and trades blows with the U12t at $2k. The MMK2 can compete with the Diva and U12t as well, but not quite to the same extent the MMK3 does.

The MMK3 has a little bit more separation from the rest of the 1k pack while the MMK2 sits squarely in it.

One last note: The MMK2 was great out of the box while the MMK3 was fussier overall with the tip-rolling. The MMK2 is the safer purchase overall and is for those who want a neutral yet musical sound. The MMK3 has a higher ceiling and is for people looking for a colored-tonality.

If you have the MMK2, there's no need to sell and buy the MMK3 - they're very different. It's mostly a side-grade, or a small upgrade at best with the most significant upgrade in the bass along with a slight downgrade in the treble.

Aug 23, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #1,008 of 1,213

Tuning:

Tonality:
The MMK2 has a neutral tonality while the MMK2 has a colored, slightly euphoric tonality. Both are lean, the MMK2 is even more so. It's ethereal.

Imaging:
The soundstage is a bit wider on the MMK3 and a little bigger overall. Imaging goes to the MMK3 as well by a small margin but they're very close.

Bass:
The biggest difference is in the bass. As many have mentioned, the MMK2 mid-bass lacks punch and texture. I wish it had +2dB mid-bass overall. Its transient edges are soft and pillowy as is its bass density. There's a satisfying amount of sub-bass but overall I found the bass, particularly the mid-bass lacking in quality and quantity.

The MMK3 on the other hand has really good bass. Depending on the tips, its transient edges can feel a bit boomy and bloated, but with the correct tips its not an issue. The transient edges are better-defined than the MMK2's and its bass is better textured and has more density. It's overall more engaging.

Mids:
The mids are similar in their presentation. I think the MMK3's is slightly more forward but they're both placed about equally and could go either way depending on the tips used. The MMK2's vocals are slightly more ethereal and wispy than the MMK3's. The main difference is the coloration. The MMK2's tonality is neutral, while the MMK3's is colored, slightly lean and euphoric. Both have great mids.

Treble:
The treble is different. Where the MMK2's treble is more neutral, the MMK3's is elevated, particularly in the upper-treble. The MMK2's treble is well-extended, well-tuned and generally safer than the MMK3's - it's beautifully done. The MMK3's upper-treble may be too much for some people and really enjoyable to others. I think this will come down to tolerance/preference. Personally, I think the MMK2 has the better treble overall. It's more airy, better-tuned, and less fatiguing.

Resolution:
The MMK3 is slightly more resolving than the MMK2 overall but they resolve at about the same level. They're both highly resolving with plenty of microdetails.

Other notes:
They're both Monarchs, but very different IEMs. The MMK2 and MMK3 could have been different models and in some ways this may have been more appropriate. The
MMK3 is a significant departure from the MMK2 both in tuning and tonality. As such, they can serve as complimentary pairs.

The MMK3 is slightly more technical overall and in my opinion, a little more fun. The MMK2 is very well-tuned, still very technical, and has an elite treble. Compared to the MMK3, it's more neutral and therefore may lack a little character to some people.

In my opinion, the MMK2 still competes in the 1k range with IEMs like the U4s and Helios, but not significantly above it. This is no small feat as the 1k range has become crowded with great IEMs as of late.

The MMK3 on the other hand, competes handily with the Diva, a $1600 IEM and trades blows with the U12t at $2k. The MMK2 can compete with the Diva and U12t as well, but not quite to the same extent the MMK3 does.

The MMK3 has a little bit more separation from the rest of the 1k pack while the MMK2 sits squarely in it.

One last note: The MMK2 was great out of the box while the MMK3 was fussier overall with the tip-rolling. The MMK2 is the safer purchase overall and is for those who want a neutral yet musical sound. The MMK3 has a higher ceiling and is for people looking for a colored-tonality.

If you have the MMK2, there's no need to sell and buy the MMK3 - they're very different. It's mostly a side-grade, or a small upgrade at best with the most significant upgrade in the bass along with a slight downgrade in the treble.
"Annihilator 23 → U12tElysian Diva 23 → Symphonium Crimson → Nightjar Singularity → U4s → Helios → Monarch MK2/MK3 → 7th Acoustics Supernova → Variations"
May I ask if this order from left to right is some kind of private ranking?
Whats your thoughts on the Singularity?

Aug 23, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #1,009 of 1,213
"Annihilator 23 → U12tElysian Diva 23 → Symphonium Crimson → Nightjar Singularity → U4s → Helios → Monarch MK2/MK3 → 7th Acoustics Supernova → Variations"
May I ask if this order from left to right is some kind of private ranking?
Whats your thoughts on the Singularity?
They’re actually in price order.

I do have a private ranking that I’ll be releasing with my Annihilator review at the end of next week but it has a different order.

The Singularity is quite good. It has a thick, warm tonality and a rich, very elevated bass.

It’s superbly tuned but it’s technicalities could be better. As such, it’s not the best *value* at $1300 but it does provide something different at that price point which I appreciate.

Oh, and the craftsmanship is top notch.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #1,010 of 1,213
They’re actually in price order.

I do have a private ranking that I’ll be releasing with my Annihilator review at the end of next week but it has a different order.

The Singularity is quite good. It has a thick, warm tonality and a rich, very elevated bass.

It’s superbly tuned but it’s technicalities could be better. As such, it’s not the best *value* at $1300 but it does provide something different at that price point which I appreciate.

Oh, and the craftsmanship is top notch.
Thnx!

Aug 24, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #1,012 of 1,213

Tuning:

Tonality:

Imaging:

Bass:

Mids:

Treble:

Resolution:

Other notes:

As I always felt it - the MMk3 shouldn't be 3 but other name!

Aug 25, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #1,013 of 1,213
Please share your views or point me to some comparisons of the MMk2 vs Elysian Diva.

Both seem to be magnificent for mids and vocals, still it is interesting to read some direct comparisons and understand what are the differences between the two.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #1,014 of 1,213
Please share your views or point me to some comparisons of the MMk2 vs Elysian Diva.

Both seem to be magnificent for mids and vocals, still it is interesting to read some direct comparisons and understand what are the differences between the two.
Diva has a tonality similar to MMK3 while MMK2 has a neutral tonality. MMK2 has a light, ethereal note weight while the Diva’s is less lean.

Both have plenty of sub-bass. MMK2 is lacking mid-bass - its Achilles’ heel. MMK2 also lacks bass texture. Diva wins handily here.

Both have forward mids and are equally pleasant. It mostly comes down to if you prefer a coloration in your midrange. Diva has a hyperpigmented, euphoric quality to its upper mids.

MMK2 treble is better-extended and more linear. Diva has a mid-treble dip that accentuates its upper-mids but darkens some treble detail.

MMK2 has plenty of microdetails whereas the Diva sounds more smoothed over in this regard.

Diva is more dynamic than MMK2. MMK2 I think has a larger soundstage and superior imaging.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #1,015 of 1,213
So listening side by side on HO/DO200 stack with dbx31 band eq on Roon (probably didn't need all of that, but context matters), the MKII sound much more laid back compared to the MKIII. I don't think the MKII will be up for sale after all. MKIII is noticeably bassier compared to mkiii with more prominent treble. I would say it is more W shaped, whereas MKII feels more like an inverted V, and Prestige are obviously V with scooped mids. If you want a bassier mkii, then mkiii is it, but mids on mkii feel a bit sweeter. I can't put my finger on it. It is not that they are more prominent (though they are). Something in terms of the actual tone just favors the mkii on the mids for me, so are the mkiii bad? Hell no! These $1000 iems murder $2000 iems being put out by Empire Ears and others. Do you need them if you already have the mkii? Probably not. If you want a bit more bass without a V, then sure. If not, stick with mkii.

Aug 25, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #1,016 of 1,213
Diva has a tonality similar to MMK3 while MMK2 has a neutral tonality. MMK2 has a light, ethereal note weight while the Diva’s is less lean.

Both have plenty of sub-bass. MMK2 is lacking mid-bass - it’s Achilles’ heel. MMK2 also lacks bass texture. Diva wins handily here.

Both have forward mids and are equally pleasant. It mostly comes down to if you prefer a coloration in your midrange. Diva has a hyperpigmented, euphoric quality to its upper mids.

MMK2 treble is better-extended and more linear. Diva has a mid-treble dip that accentuates it’s upper-mids but darkens some treble detail.

MMK2 has plenty of microdetails whereas Diva sound more smoothed over in this regard.

Diva is more dynamic than MMK2. MMK2 I think has a larger soundstage and superior imaging.
Thanks! Seems like between the MMk2 and the Diva I will prefer the MMk3 😂😂😂

Aug 25, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #1,018 of 1,213
reading more and more about the monarchs (mk1 to 3), those monarchs are all different and unique enough to have its own product name instead of being grouped as monarch :) They seemed to share a similar driver configuration but have unique enough sound signatures. it's just my impression by reading the other's description of what they hear though. I only have monarch mk1 but curious to try mk3 later.

Aug 25, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #1,019 of 1,213
reading more and more about the monarchs (mk1 to 3), those monarchs are all different and unique enough to have its own product name instead of being grouped as monarch :) They seemed to share a similar driver configuration but have unique enough sound signatures. it's just my impression by reading the other's description of what they hear though. I only have monarch mk1 but curious to try mk3 later.
I agree. I haven't heard MK1, but this is the exact point I made about MK2 and MK3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back