Thieaudio Ghost Thread
Jun 14, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #61 of 155
Just tried to put a small tube preamp between DAC and AMP. It's a FOSI Audio Tube-P1. (Same as FX-AUDIO tube 03)
Replaced OP amps with Burr Brown dual OPA627 and soldered new Wima capacitors. Changing caps made the bass cleaner and darker.
It has bass and treble controls, and I'm really enjoying sound with the stock (no foam) pads and a little added bass. (about 2 oclock).
Just sharing my experience in case anyone's interested, lol.

Jun 18, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #63 of 155
Have any of you been playing around with EQ at all for your ghosts? I have dialed in some minor stuff in Peace and tried a few light changes, overall they respond to EQ pretty well and don't require much, but it is nice to tweak depending on genre.
I've increased the sub-base at 32 and 64hz 3-5dB. Increase mids at 1 and 2khz 3dB. Ruduce 8 and 16khz 2-3dB. This is just where I'm playing at it for now. They're fine without EQ really.

Jun 19, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #64 of 155
Have any of you been playing around with EQ at all for your ghosts? I have dialed in some minor stuff in Peace and tried a few light changes, overall they respond to EQ pretty well and don't require much, but it is nice to tweak depending on genre.
With stock pads I just add some bass with either tube preamp or just EQ.
With Brainwavz hybrid angled pads I do nothing.

Jun 25, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #65 of 155
Running these balanced out of my new Jotenheim 2. If I was stuck with only this one headphone for the rest of my life, I wouldn't be that disappointed. It does everything I need very, very, well. What bothers me is that it's so cheap at $129 that people will skip it thinking it's just a low-end headphone unworthy of anyone's attention. Or, "It may be good for $129.00 but.........etc., etc". If Thieaudio could scale this same value-equivalent into a new headphone at say... $499.00, they'd be killing TOTL $2000-$3000 headphones [they could name it after the Hindu God "Shiva" (the Destroyer)...lol]. That...is how much value I find with these.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #66 of 155
Running these balanced out of my new Jotenheim 2. If I was stuck with only this one headphone for the rest of my life, I wouldn't be that disappointed. It does everything I need very, very, well. What bothers me is that it's so cheap at $129 that people will skip it thinking it's just a low-end headphone unworthy of anyone's attention. Or, "It may be good for $129.00 but.........etc., etc". If Thieaudio could scale this same value-equivalent into a new headphone at say... $499.00, they'd be killing TOTL $2000-$3000 headphones [they could name it after the Hindu God "Shiva" (the Destroyer)...lol]. That...is how much value I find with these.
You keep tempting me...

The collection is fat, but I keep thinking, maybe one more? And it's so cheap, what's the harm?:grin:

Jun 25, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #67 of 155
You keep tempting me...

The collection is fat, but I keep thinking, maybe one more? And it's so cheap, what's the harm?:grin:
I don't know what's in your collection but surely there's one in there you could dump on the classifieds? I'd take these over a 58X or a 6XX. Give them time though.

Jun 25, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #68 of 155
I don't know what's in your collection but surely there's one in there you could dump on the classifieds? I'd take these over a 58X or a 6XX. Give them time though.
Actually I just posted a pic of my current collection as of today.

IMG_20230625_114654444_HDR~2.jpg
But maybe I could squeeze one more in...

Jun 25, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #69 of 155
But maybe I could squeeze one more in...
I seriously was thinking about making a trip across town to Sweetwater Sound here in Fort Wayne and buy the 660 S2 just for comparison. But then return them. If you really like the Ghosts and they're close to the S2, perhaps you could sell them for a $500 windfall...lol. And YOU could do the review and comparison!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #73 of 155
BTW, I don't agree with that review about the comfort. I think the stock pads are very comfortable. First I cut the foam and was happy. Then that review awoke my curiosity and I bought the BRAINWAVZ Angled Hybrids. I think both sounds very good. Stock without foam is a little brighter. Angled hybrid tames the highs a bit and adds some punch to the bass. Which one you prefer is up to you. I'm a little treble sensitive, so I'm using the angled hybrid ones. Both are better that stock, though, IMHO. I feel that the thick foam was holding them back.
Are these the pads that you are referring to?
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...s/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-angled-hybrid

And do they need rings or clips to attach?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #74 of 155
Yes! I actually started to add a little treble when I use them now. Don't know, but my preferred tuning seem to change over time. Been using brighter IEMs lately and when I switched back to these pads + Ghost I missed some treble. Might feel differently next week lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back