Thieaudio Ghost Thread
Apr 25, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #16 of 155
So these are basically for people who don’t own any decent headphones under/over $300?

Apr 25, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #17 of 155
So these are basically for people who don’t own any decent headphones under/over $300?

They do work well for people without a decent set of full size headphones - but equally it would be interesting for those with TOTL system to hear what you can get for $129 now, compared to a few years ago.

Apr 25, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #18 of 155
They do work well for people without a decent set of full size headphones - but equally it would be interesting for those with TOTL system to hear what you can get for $129 now, compared to a few years ago.
I notice a warmth in my heart when some new affordable upstart cuts the overpriced flagships down to size. It is my opinion that we need more of these. People are becoming smarter and starting to notice the cracks in the ceiling of 'high end' and ridiculous the price points are for variable sound. I think it is wise to market an affordable product with great sound; they will sell a ton of them through work of mouth :slight_smile:

Apr 26, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #19 of 155
Cut the foam/cloth laminate from the OE pads, this morning. Even though the laminate was breathable, it apparently was damping a lot of detail. Sounds even better. These headphones are fun. They dynamically project sound with an ease similar to high efficiency horn speakers, but are still smooth.

Apr 26, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #21 of 155
Anyone have the Ghost as well as Sennheiser HD660S? Similarities and differences? I already have the 660S, and I'm curious about the Ghost but not if it's too similar.

Apr 26, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #22 of 155
Update: Got about 50+ hours on my pair of Ghosts and they're sounding better and better. I really appreciate the bass having some nice body and texture. The dynamics are good enough to really please but obviously they're not FOCAL dynamic. I don't feel anything is missing. Everything is there when running them off my Asgard 3. Sound stage is lovely. I'm just very, very, happy with these. They're wonderful...and not just for $129--but just period. Give them some time to break-in and open up a bit.

May 2, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #23 of 155
I would say "YES" absolutely. I'm absolutely loving mine. Just noticing tonight just how well they image. And whatever the lead instrument is just "pops" forword in the mix with wonderful dynamics. And even when things get busy the Ghosts just keep everything nicely separated and in this nice groove. The driver is pretty snappy and fast. I'm really impressed. This headphone is going to put all their competition on notice.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #24 of 155
I would say "YES" absolutely. I'm absolutely loving mine. Just noticing tonight just how well they image. And whatever the lead instrument is just "pops" forword in the mix with wonderful dynamics. And even when things get busy the Ghosts just keep everything nicely separated and in this nice groove. The driver is pretty snappy and fast. I'm really impressed. This headphone is going to put all their competition on notice.
Agree, I'm also loving mine. They've taken over the role as daily driver from my beloved 6XX. I did cut out the inner foam from the stock pads, made a big improvement for me, but YMMV. Depends on how much treble you want/tolerate. My brain adjusts much faster to the Ghost than to the 6XX when A-B:ing. The Ghost is just so smooth and enjoyable.

May 3, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #25 of 155
Agree, I'm also loving mine. They've taken over the role as daily driver from my beloved 6XX. I did cut out the inner foam from the stock pads, made a big improvement for me, but YMMV. Depends on how much treble you want/tolerate. My brain adjusts much faster to the Ghost than to the 6XX when A-B:ing. The Ghost is just so smooth and enjoyable.
Very interesting. I had the 6XX quite a while ago and was working from memory and also thought the Ghosts were superior but was afraid to say that since it's been so long. Glad to have my thoughts confirmed. Thank you.

May 5, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #26 of 155
Anyone tried them with "BRAINWAVZ Angled Memory Foam Earpad"?

Found this review on Amazon. (And no, it's not mine.) BTW, I don't find the stock pads uncomfortable at all.

"Absolutely fixes the Thieaudio Ghost
Reviewed in the United States on March 27, 2023
Verified Purchase
Thieaudio ghosts have wonky fixed cups that don't swivel and very shallow pads that also ruin the sound by putting a layer of foam over the driver. Cutting the foam out of the ghost pads fixed the sound but they remained just uncomfortable. I tried some more "sealed" leather pads and the bass was just ruined and muffled. These are perfect. They fit the headphone cup right, they actually get them to sit on your head right, they have just a thin layer of fabric that doesn't mess with the sound but protects the driver, and they sound like meze 109 pro's now.
If you own (or want) thieaudio ghosts but don't want to drop $80 on some meze 109 pads, these are a perfect alternative. Brainwavz makes great pads, these aren't my first and won't be my last, but you can add the Thieaudio Ghost to the list of compatible cans, because these pads don't just fit them, they FIX them."

May 5, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #27 of 155
I am one of the crazies who purchased the Meze 109 pads when I ordered the Ghosts and so far I think they have been a really nice addition. Are they worth the $80 pricetag to combine with a $130 headphone? That I can't really say for you, but I can say I would definitely buy them again.

Prior to receiving the 109 pads I did have the foam cut out from the driver and yeah that was a good experience too. The stock pads were really comfortable and these are even more comfortable. Absolutely can and do wear these all day. I fall asleep with them on.

As far as the sound improvements I'm really not the most confident in my own critical listening abilities to give any sort of a review on that but I will offer what I can. I notice more bass with the Meze pads, they are thicker and denser than the stock foam so that might be why. The mids and highs seem about the same as when I had the foam cut out from the stock pads, but again I'm not the best judge of this. All I can do to describe the change is that they are really fun and enjoyable to listen to. They were before also, but I really love them now. I just want to listen to the next song and the next song and the next song.

May 5, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #28 of 155
I am one of the crazies who purchased the Meze 109 pads when I ordered the Ghosts and so far I think they have been a really nice addition. Are they worth the $80 pricetag to combine with a $130 headphone? That I can't really say for you, but I can say I would definitely buy them again.

Prior to receiving the 109 pads I did have the foam cut out from the driver and yeah that was a good experience too. The stock pads were really comfortable and these are even more comfortable. Absolutely can and do wear these all day. I fall asleep with them on.

As far as the sound improvements I'm really not the most confident in my own critical listening abilities to give any sort of a review on that but I will offer what I can. I notice more bass with the Meze pads, they are thicker and denser than the stock foam so that might be why. The mids and highs seem about the same as when I had the foam cut out from the stock pads, but again I'm not the best judge of this. All I can do to describe the change is that they are really fun and enjoyable to listen to. They were before also, but I really love them now. I just want to listen to the next song and the next song and the next song.
Ok, thanks!! Looks like it's not possible to buy the 109 pads at the moment, Mimic page is "404 not found". Hope it's back again soon.
Looks like we're quite a few who enjoy the Ghost... :L3000::beerchug:
I got them for 116 USD on sale, the value is incredible.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #30 of 155
These things just keep getting better. I, too, have the Senn 6xx. The Ghosts are mo' betta'. Just listening to Patricia Barber's Companion. I don't listen to her because it is audiophile candy, I actually like her. The organ on "The Beat..." is well developed and not at all harsh or strident. Plucked bass is just there and the drums are amazing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back