They're back - The HF-2 now available again!
Jul 21, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #106 of 223
Well.  I've been a member of head-fi for years (HF-1 #251, with ~1000 hours of happy listening) but hadn't logged in over the last year... so I, for one, am glad they're still (barely) available.

If people feel unhappy that they're still available new because they were hoping to sell theirs at a higher price by now -- well, IIRC Grado felt pretty burned after the HF-1's prices soared in the FS forums right after their short production run ended, too.

The only thing that disappoints me is the price jump -- the HF-1s were only $200.  But I guess I'd rather Grado, HF, and Todd get the extra $ than the scalpers...

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #107 of 223
I'm in the same boat as grignr.  Hadn't logged in for a while, since I had been happy with my setup for a while, and missed the HF-2 sale and B-stock sale.  I'm not an "every day" Head-Fi lurker/poster.  As I recall, I missed the HF-1 sale, too.  At that time, in part because resale prices of the HF-1 were so utterly ridiculous, I ended up going a step up and consoling myself with a SR-325i... a very good choice on my part, I think.  

So OF COURSE I'm personally happy that the HF-2 are back on the market.  Clearly there's demand.  I'm considering dropping the dough for them much more seriously than I would if I had to pay extra on the aftermarket.  And furthermore, clearly it's still "limited" by any reasonable standard.  I bought my 325i way back in Feb '06 as a demo/B-stock model, and it was ALREADY #2640 produced of the gold "i" variety.  Considering there aren't even 1000 HF-2's yet, the actual impact of this new production run on the rarity of HF-2's is likely to be minimal.  

I haven't read all of every thread relating to the HF-2 buildup and offer, but it does seem that misrepresentations, or at least misleading statements, were made to the members here concerning how many would be made, and when production would stop.  It's especially sad that some people may have paid above new value for a used pair when more new pairs were going to be coming down the line.  

That said, I have never thought it a good idea that any headphone be "limited edition" in the first place, especially one that already has a limited market to begin with by only being available to members of one particular internet forum.  Why bother?  It's just blood in the water that attracts speculators.  It's an absurd situation when a Head-Fi-branded products are being sold from one Head-Fi member to another Head-Fi member on the FS/FT forums for double their original price, mere months after the initial sale.  I think the HF-1 aftermath (and the HF-2 buildup) was a complete disaster for this community in that respect.  If they're really GREAT sounding phones, then what's best for Head-Fi is that they continue to be offered to members---and not that they, by their nature, encourage members to scalp other members!  Any "limited edition" features should properly be confined to cosmetics or other collateral things, and not to the sound of the cans themselves.  

I actually see the "Head-F1" engraving as an attempt to discourage speculation of this kind---it was a cosmetic fault which is, in theory, hard to explain to potential secondary-market buyers outside the Head-Fi community.  Far be it from me to indulge in conspiracy theories, though... of COURSE it was really just a mistake.  
wink_face.gif

That said, the best remedy for all involved, as I see it, would have actually been to correct the spelling error on the new run of cans.  That way the "limited edition" status of the first 500 would have been preserved through their now-rare cosmetic error.  That should have headed off the complaints of the speculators/collectors, who would still have their "limited edition" phone.  

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #108 of 223
[size=10.0pt]Well, all I can say is that I am glad for a second shot at these cans. I missed out the first go around because of a deployment to Iraq[/size].

Long time member and lurker who doesn't post all that much. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #110 of 223

Quote:

Yes, but why exactly do these people feel aggrieved in the first place? That was really my main point, what is the reason why people feel wronged that the limited produced amount of this headphone has increased or exceeded what was projected before? And I say this loosely, as the eloquent person wrote above, I'll take his word for it that no hard numbers were given about this supposed limit.

Even if there was, can someone who is among the offended explain why this is a problem?
I owned an HF-2 until recently, I sold it since it didn't get much use. But even if I didn't and I saw this advertisement for a new batch, I would not have a problem with it at all.
My point being, even if Grado/TTVJ did not "keep their word" about a supposed hard limit on the amount of production, again, as the person above wrote, this is only good for the headphone community since more people get to enjoy these.

The point has been made repeatedly throughout this thread and I do suspect that it is lost on you. Head-Fiers were led to believe by Todd that Grado had produced 500 of these headphones and once they were sold, they were gone. We were led to believe that there would be no more available. Now we are advised that there will be another 500 more, not including the "B" stocks that were previously sold off. Consequently, some people feel deceived and they are expressing their disappointment here, and I believe that they have good reason to do so. 

It's easy enough to muddy the waters with revisionist arguments that focus on what was inferred rather than implied, and what Todd and Grado left unsaid rather than clearly stated from the outset. I have no idea whether they had any intention of reprising the HF2 at a later date. All I know is that at the time of the original HF2 offer, those of us who went ahead with our purchase thought that we were securing one of only 500 HF2 headphones being made available to the Head-Fi community. We were mistaken in thinking that but contrary to what some Head-Fiers are asserting in this thread, this was not our fault. We presumed this because of what Todd had communicated to us. Judging by some of the posts that I have read here, the responsibility for this misunderstanding would appear to be ours rather than Todd's and Grado's - a kind of unsympathetic "let the buyer beware" homily, which is skewed and not appropriate under these circumstances.

The people responsible for this lamentable situation are not the Head-Fier's who accepted what Todd had told them at face value, and then entered into a purchase with him and Grado in good faith. Responsibility for this debacle rests with Todd and Grado, not those who feel misled and aggrieved because of it. I am perplexed as to why anyone would feel compelled to defend Todd and Grado for their dubious actions, while simultaneously criticising Head-Fiers for their responses to them.

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #111 of 223

Quote:

They said the headphones would be a limited edition.  They are.  Nowhere in the original HF2 post did it say anything about a specific number, and going through page after page, there was speculation that the number would be similar to the HF-1s produced.  There was a nice post in that thread speculating the price was set around what the HF-1s were going for and that by setting the price high enough and making enough units they could kill off the profit ended resale.  Prices of the HF-2 were getting to be around $100 more than retail here in the FS forums, not to mention places like eBay.  If there are more members who want the phones, they should make more.  It doesn't change the fact that they said they would be "limited", because they still are.

I see where you are coming from with this, but I disagree that people have been mislead.  Re-read through the original HF-2 thread.  I think people are confusing speculation with fact, and reacting to the speculation.  Again, nowhere in the original post about the HF-2s did it ever say anything other than "limited".  How things developed after that has always been in a state of flux, which is good for people who want the headphones.  But it is bad for people who don't want others to have the headphones.

I will only address your point claiming that no mention was made of a specific number of HF2's being produced or more accurately, made available for sale to Head-Fi members, which is incorrect. The rest of your post is predicated on this error. Todd disclosed that only 500 HF2's would be made available for sale. This followed his announcement that a printing error on the cup had been made during production. Todd explained that the headphone cups had already been produced and it would be far too expensive an exercise to attempt to rectify the error.

The etching error on the cup caused a fiasco and in response to the outcry, Todd gave those of us who had already purchased the HF2 the option of cancelling our order for a full refund or proceeding. We had to notify Todd of our decision to proceed otherwise he would assume that we no longer wished to, refund the purchase price and re-allocate the HF2 to another buyer who was waiting to secure one of the 500 HF2's available through the cancellation waiting list. Consequently, we were encouraged by Todd to secure an HF2 before they were all gone. He also provided updates on the number of HF2's left in response to Head-Fier's enquiries.

I proceeded with my order in the knowledge that I had secured one of only 500 HF2's available.  I am not going to trawl through the HF2 forum thread to find the posts that I clearly recall as proof. I'm afraid that you will have to take me at my word, just as I and others here took Todd and Grado at theirs.

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #112 of 223
my opinion about this :
I think it's the great thing to let the other people have a chance to buy the HF-2.You may have a good reason to blame todd but I also have a good reason to praise him too.
A Guy in thailand has offered me the HF-2 in the price of 25000 baht,that's bout 770 usd.Yeah eventhough the serie number is 500# ,but for me they cost too much and I  just only want good sounding headphones not the hype around them  .And When I try to buy them from the head-fi,the people often want to ship them just inside the States.The other reason is that,many time we have problems with shipping, paypal ,the headphones've never reached our hands etc.
With problems this and that I've found it's good so that todd let us have a chance to buy them directly from him. 

by the way Todd we're still waiting for the headphones.It's like the eternity now .

Sorry for my broken english

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #113 of 223

Quote:
A Guy in thailand has offered me the HF-2 in the price of 25000 baht,that's bout 770 usd.Yeah eventhough the serie number is 500# ,but for me they cost too much and I  just only want good sounding headphones not the hype around them  .

That's impossible. I have serial #500. Unless John Grado is even more deceptive than I anticipated.
eek.gif

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #116 of 223
It's real the guy said he already talked with someone in the US.and It's maybe you !!!!!
and he just offered me for the price of exacly 25000 baht (700 something usd).
I can even show you the my WTB[thread]
http://www.taf.in.th/forum/index.php?topic=20274.0

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #117 of 223

Quote:
It's real the guy said he already talked with someone in the US.and It's maybe you !!!!!
and he just offered me for the price of exacly 25000 baht (700 something usd).
I can even show you the my WTB[thread]
http://www.taf.in.th/forum/index.php?topic=20274.0

Oh lol. I was selling my HF2s to some dude, guess he was gonna resell them to that other dude. At least my HF-2s are world-famous.
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #118 of 223

Just out of curiosity -- where is that second 500 number coming from?  Is that an official number, or speculation?  I hadn't heard that before.

Quote:
Head-Fiers were led to believe by Todd that Grado had produced 500 of these headphones and once they were sold, they were gone. We were led to believe that there would be no more available. Now we are advised that there will be another 500 more, not including the "B" stocks that were previously sold off.

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #119 of 223
^ I assumed that this was the number based on some posts in this thread that were referring to a total of 1000 HF2's being produced. I've just quickly reviewed the thread and this figure appears to be speculative. I can't see any definitive advice from Todd here stating that another 500 HF2's are to be produced for sale. So we don't know how many are actually being produced. All we can say with any certainty is that there will be more of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back