They might be Kings: Focal Utopia, Sony MDR-Z1R, HiFiMan Susvara, HE1000 V2 and MrSpeakers Ether Flow shootout

Discussion in 'Currawong' started by currawong, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Currawong Contributor
    Forum permissions are fixed for anyone who wants to continue in here now. If you can't post, please PM me.

2. drbobbybones
    Let's see if this works!

And one day I'll have to actually review my cans, but with worse diction and worse ears than yours :)

3. Currawong Contributor
    The trick is to read books by famous authors who were good at describing things. Personally I don't consider myself that great, but more so it has been that I had various jobs where I had to explain technology succinctly so I became quite decent at it.

Kramer01 and drbobbybones like this.
  4. Currawong Contributor
    Reboot time.

HiFiMan_Susvara-D75_7771.jpg

Fastnbulbous and Sp12er3 like this.
  5. LarryMagoo
    I got to listen to the Susvara at the SF meet last month....$6K???? Are you kidding me...they sounded like they have to work waaaay too hard to perform...like the sound had to pushed out of the HP....I like my HD 800S a lot better driven with my Class A HP amp...where the notes seem to just float to my ears effortlessly....Even the Utopia's can't sell at $4K!!!

jmills8 likes this.
  6. conquerator2
    Part of the problem is the extremely low sensitivity. Just ask the HE6 guys, me included :D

7. AnakChan Moderator
    The Susvara (and yes, like the HE6) does need a pretty hefty amp. I've got mine driven by my McIntosh MC275 via the HE Adapter and with speaker amps, they drive the Susvara much more effortlessly.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised and like the Susvara. It gets more head time than the Utopia and SR-009 - however I feel my Utopia and SR-009 aren't pushed to their limits by their amp either.

Currawong likes this.
  8. Currawong Contributor
    Out of the Master 9 the Susvara does quite well too. So far, they don't have the absolute precision of the Utopias, but they are a bit more even-sounding and enjoyable instead.