They might be Kings - High-end Headphone Shootout
Apr 12, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #211 of 367
Maybe give Beyer T5p2's a listen if you have the chance. I'm don't have any complaints with them as portables.
T5p2 are nice but for me they need a bit more bass and more isolation. The 1770 has more bass and total seal from outside noise. I sat and stood on a packed bus listening to Metal music.

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #212 of 367
  Maybe give Beyer T5p2's a listen if you have the chance. I'm don't have any complaints with them as portables.

Returned them in 3 weeks. Couldn't stand the screech, I wished I could... and there wasn't any sign or hope of getting used to.  Everything else about them I did like and definitely see why many people like them.

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #213 of 367

Returned them in 3 weeks. Couldn't stand the screech, I wished I could... and there wasn't any sign or hope of getting used to.  Everything else about them I did like and definitely see why many people like them.

On my Gumby/Mjo2 the Beyers can be pretty sharp where there are high notes in the music (Edge from U2's guitar playing or the organ playing in some Doors tracks, for instance.) I hadn't noticed it though when the Beyers are paired with a Onkyo DP-X1, though my particular hearing and treble sensitivity may part of the reason why.

T5p2 are nice but for me they need a bit more bass and more isolation. The 1770 has more bass and total seal from outside noise. I sat and stood on a packed bus listening to Metal music.

Yeah, isolation isn't perfect. I didn't like the stock pads for comfort and get a better seal from some Brainwavz Sheepskins. I still hear ambient noise through the pads though, when I don't have music on.

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #214 of 367
Sony's Z7 is smaller. It just doesn't fold, so it's still a bit bulky. Not sure if it isolates very well though. With the tape mod it becomes a slightly less resolving and less spacious-sounding Z1R.

In my mind the Z1R is the Z7 only better. Both seem possibly not quite portable enough? I say Sony should make a premium 1A with metal and real leather, keep the folding design, up the resolution and high end clarity, tighten some base, and sell for $500 street price. In fact, I'd pay double if I had to.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #215 of 367
... Aeon...I had hopes for but the reviewers say not as resolving as the Ethers...

I wouldn't expect the Aeon to outperform the Ether C based on the reduced size and price - but are they really that bad? In my mind they just have be somewhat portable and give you 90% of the Ether C until you can get home and grab a Utopia. If they beat the PM-3 by a significant amount I win. The Aeons don't fold though, bummer. Though that memory metal could twist into a case that did the folding for them :grinning:

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #216 of 367
The Audeze Sine comes to mind. For a serious attempt at inexpensive, resolving planar headphones the result was surprisingly good when I tried them.

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #217 of 367
Great thread--thanks @currawong for putting this together. I agree with almost all your thoughts on all these cans.

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #218 of 367
The Audeze Sine comes to mind. For a serious attempt at inexpensive, resolving planar headphones the result was surprisingly good when I tried them.

In the past this review grabbed my attention...

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/31/11810750/oppo-pm3-vs-audeze-sine-review-planar-magnetic-headphones

I've near touched the Sine, but the review mirrors my experience with the PM-3. And it's like both portables need to make sweet, sweet love to produce a headphone that has the best of both worlds. Namely comfort / design and exciting sound signature. Given a lack of choices I'd be happy with ether of the above headphones. Although the Aeon stretches the mobility definition a bit, I'm still hoping it will be the one.

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #219 of 367
Setting up a new photography backdrop. Worked better than expected. 

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #220 of 367
Nice work on the photography Currawong! 

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #221 of 367

Darko did a review recently on the newly released open backed Sines.
limited edition
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/04/muscular-filigreed-audezes-sine-deluxe-on-ear-headphones/

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #222 of 367
Apr 13, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #224 of 367
  Really!  Is p7 better than p9, sound quality wise?  I need to try them.

I don't think so. I owned the P7 wireless and a friend has kindly left me his P9 to use for a few weeks. As I have spent more time with the P9 I feel it is clearly the better sounding of the two with the caveat that for some material, the mid-bass hump may actually be too much. It seems to be pretty infrequent and conversely when the P9 is on it really can sound glorius. Given that buying from Amazon or B&W provides you with a generous return policy I would highly encourage you to try the P9. It may surprise you. I know at first I wasn't that impressed when it was just a store demo through my phone or a Creative E5, but now through the Mojo or my NAD rig, and with more time, I really do like the P9. It wouldn't be my mainstay I don't think, but if you are looking to round out your stable I think it is really worth considering.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #225 of 367

I have often wanted to grab the Sine, but comfort sounds like a serious concern as it is mentioned as an issue pretty frequently I thought. Shame as they are supposed to be pretty darn good sounding.

Edit: As with anything I realize comfort is also very personal so I don't mean to suggest it is a universal concern and if somebody really wants to try the sound of the Sine they should as you never know how you will feel about the comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back