These HD600's are terrible, and so are ALL headphones! I give up!!
May 23, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #46 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by BHTX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, all ears are shaped differently. I've tried more than one soundcard, one of which I tested beforehand (and not with just my ears!..lol). The results were all the same.

Besides the fact that testing with something other than your ears is pretty pointless, what did you test it with? A dummy head?

Just curious, did you try to do the same sinegen and pink noise test with speakers? Obviously there's positioning and location and about 5000 other variables, but I'm curious as to whether some of us perceive certain frequency at different decibels, not just the headphones. I'd test but the only speaker I have is some piece of **** dell speakers

May 23, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #47 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No flames here. Why don't you stick around? You seem to know what you're talking about - the board needs more people like you.

Yeah, most headphones are colored. I think that's because that's what consumers expect to hear and what they'll spend money on, which is the ultimate reason anything gets made.

Just curious, have you given a listen to the Beyerdynamic DT48? It's a cult favorite (for two or three of us
smily_headphones1.gif
) that's one of the best transducers I've listened to. A lot of recent purchasers have been unhappy with it, mostly because it doesn't sound like anything else and has "no bass" even though it produces the notes. From what I've read and experienced, it seems very flat and neutral. It reminds me of the Quads and homemade ribbons I built - both of which measure flat.

Also, I'd really like to know which speakers you enjoy. Anyhow, I'd like to see you participate here - you could add needed balance.

Thanks! Yeah, I wouldn't be too surprised if the drivers and materials used in the majority of headphones on the market are almost solely based on financial decisions, not to mention what they think they can get away with. Yep, it's all about sales, of course. No, I haven't tried the DT48, but I've made a big note of it, as well as all the other headphone models mentioned by anyone in this thread so far.

* I'd also like to thank anyone else who's mentioned specific models. I'm keeping track of all of them, with the intention of looking into them further at a later time.

As for now, I gotta take a break. There's a lot of people at this forum. Kinda crowded.. lol.

Apologies for all the double posting.

May 23, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #48 of 325
If you listen to a circumaural headphone free air, then you've significantly altered its acoustic loading and boundary conditions. You've now made it into a dipole speaker.

On the other hand, a headphone like the AKG K1000 is designed to be operated free air, since it sees very little acoustic load from your head and does not create a confined air space between it and your ear/head. I recently measured the frequency response of a set of K1000s and noticed the response is very flat between 100 - 10kHz, matching fairly close with the graph published in the owner's manual.

May 23, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #49 of 325
After reading your initial post, I was thinking K1000s, but Donald beat me to it. Also, you don't mention what components you've paired with your headphones, and there are none listed in your profile. I've heard all the headphones you mentioned (except the HD497s, which I've never heard) sound terrible to dang nice depending on source and amplifier. That may be part of it, though based on your level of experience, I'm going to assume that you've tried a few combos before becoming disillusioned. It may be that headphones will never please you. I know a few folks like that. It may also be that you haven't hit upon the right one for you. Where do you live? Could you possibly get to a meet? Outside of the K1000s, a high-end Stax rig might also provide you with what you're wanting. Anyway, I wish you luck.

May 23, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #50 of 325
BHTX, just out of curiosity what’s your source and amp. The 600 will scale tremendously with the a great headphone amp.

May 23, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #51 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading your initial post, I was thinking K1000s, but Donald beat me to it.

X2

May 23, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #52 of 325
Quote:

Hi..

I agree with many of the responses here so far, at least partially. I wish I could respond to them all, but they're popping up so fast it's tough, lol.

True, loudspeakers are all "flawed" as well, but not like THIS. I do agree that headphones can still be very enjoyable at times, and often more "intimate" than any loudspeaker. And yes, it's really about enjoyment, not how true something seems to be to a recording. However, they're all so different with pronounced flaws that I often find it difficult to enjoy them. For instance, right now.. the pronounced top end on these HD600's are giving the highs a sense of poking me in the eye. It's a very similar feeling to that of a poorly implemented tweeter.

Yes, everything adds its own color, loudspeakers certainly included. But like I said, it's just not as bad as any headphone I've ever tried. It's like this.. with speakers, the room and distance are a problem. With headphones, it's the headphones themselves, and the way they interact with your ears (and of course, each person's ears are different). As far as any sense of accuracy goes, it's not that difficult to do with near field monitors. Even a single 4" driver in the near field can work well (along with something else to help with the low frequencies).

And no, I don't have OCD, lol. Funny you say that though, as I know a couple people who do. Horrible condition to have to deal with! I can understand your reasons for saying that though, as OCD often makes everything so difficult. It's really not like that for me though. I just want a decently accurate set of headphones that are easier for me to enjoy, without highs poking me in the face and worsening my tinnitus, mids shouting at me, or over-emphasized midbass. That's all. But with headphones, it seems impossible.

Are you implying that the treble response of the HD600 is extremely forward..........if you are......I am surprised as we have particularly different set ups or ears.

I will say this and this is extremely important to having a transparent experience with headphones........you cannot blast them if you are looking for transparency. A headphone cranked up will feel much louder to your brain than a speaker cranked up because your ear / brain can detect that the sound is not traveling a great distance....therefore a very loud headphone will create a false soundworld to your brain.

Also, I was thinking that maybe your hearing has its own peaks and dips that you may be unaware of and maybe it is not as affected by speakers due to the fact that sound is actually traveling a distance to make it to your ear.

The HD600 may not be the greatest headphone ever made (its certainly one of them), but I can't accept the fact that you had them properly amped and walked away thinking they were awful.....some other factor has to be contributing to your opinion, either its your amp, source, or ears, or maybe just unrealistic expectations..........but the HD600s are about as good as a headphone can get.....so you're right to give up on your search if you see no merit in this particular model.

May 23, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #53 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if he even listens to music or understand music isn't about perfection but the message, emotion or just an idea the artist is trying to convey

Quote:

I'm just in a moment of distress here with this headphone situation..I'm at the point of just throwing my hands up, you know?

Distress ??
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

It should'n be.... Maybe you're just after something else. Everyone here seem to be looking for what's sound best for THEIR MUSIC.Its the purpose of putting headphones on your head.Its true that getting nuts about SQ is easy and justify , but isn't it all about enjoying music ???
You seem to look for some kind of perfection to your ears. Even if headphones cost big $$$ and are renowed for being neutral, natural, whetever.... i think it will always be about enjoying music.If you think NO headphones suit you ,its maybe cause you're not after that kind of appreciation IMHO, then you're going wrong way.
Still.... i too agree that you should stay around , im all about head-fi being THE reference about headphones.If your soooo into sound, your opinion could be more then welcome !
wink_face.gif

May 23, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #55 of 325
I'd also be interested to know what equipment you're using because I've heard properly amped HD600s and they were notihng like what you've described.

May 23, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #57 of 325
The first post seems like it was made from a robot's point of view of listening to sound. Let me answer you. You are doing it wrong. This is simply not the way to listen to music.

May 23, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #58 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree all headphones are colored which is why ive been buying and selling all the time settling for some longer because I can live with their colorations more than the others

Yes and that is EXACTLY what is great about having a variety of headphones to listen to. What exactly are you trying to reprodudce? Live bands are "coloured" by the type of mics/PA system/amps/mixing/etc/etc they use. EVERYTHING is coloured. The only arguably natural state would be completely acoustic (unamped) but even that is "coloured" by the particular instrument and environment!

May 23, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #59 of 325
What amp did you use?
If the very respected senn 600 dont satisfy you I guess you could try to get your hands on some orpheus or even try the hd800.
The dt770 you tried were probabaly the 80 ohm version which are know to have funky bass, the models with higher impedance are better imo.
87000 people on this forum are very happy with their headphones but you seem to be better than all these people, next time God makes the ultimate phones we'll pm you.

btw please post what amp you used

May 23, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #60 of 325
Most of my listening is done with the Presonus Central Station. I also have a Creek OBH-21 from several years back. A Rane unit, can't remember the model # atm. Built a cmoy once, but I don't use it much. A friend of mine let me borrow a Musical Fidelity X-can a couple of times. I also have a Behringer HA400 I bought a couple years ago on a whim for next to nothing (yes, it's junk). Anyway, all my headphones have been used with all of these, including the HD600's already. Like I said, the Central Station is my primary.. coaxial from the lga1366 motherboard atm.

Regardless, I really don't see what this has to do with 10-20+ dB peaks in FR.. lol.

I think most of you just aren't getting it. I want a headphone without this. Is that so much to ask? What's not to understand??

Been reading about the DT48. Seems interesting, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back