There's Something About Ultrasone…
Feb 27, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #2,131 of 5,942
I missed the delivery guy today. Must be the Edition 9 since the package is from Ultrasone of USA...
frown.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #2,132 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the 650s all but dead and buried, possibly even going up for sale (ZuMobius cable and all) and then some finely recorded classical music came along and everything changed. My goodness 650s can unleash orchestral magic. Looks like I may be stuck with all three again.

I certainly do enjoy a good comeback story! And there are worse fates to be had than being "stuck" with 3 lovelies such as yours...
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #2,134 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We appreciate the 20-30 seconds that it has stolen from your life

Haha, 20-30 seconds .....
I've tried to read through this thread, but I gave up at page 35 or so.
So much enthusiasm, but such a bad signal/noise ratio.
Jpelg's total change of mind did raise my curiosity, and since I do have more money than time I guess it's easier for me to purchase the damned FOTM than to read through another 70 pages ..........

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #2,135 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, 20-30 seconds .....
I've tried to read through this thread, but I gave up at page 35 or so.
So much enthusiasm, but such a bad signal/noise ratio.
Jpelg's total change of mind did raise my curiosity, and since I do have more money than time I guess it's easier for me to purchase the damned FOTM than to read through another 70 pages ..........

When you do buy them you might have something contributing to add to this enormous-good information-buried-thread..
tongue.gif

I like your Nietzsche-qoute though...

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #2,136 of 5,942
Since the ed9 has a lower impedance than the 750, would that mean they would be easier to drive without an amp? Not talking about soundqual..

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #2,137 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he is referring to frequency response curve flatness, rather than presentation or soundstage.

That's what I meant! Saying that they are warmer is another way of saying that. The 2200 try to deliver a sound that is pleasant to the greater number, that usually means pushing the bass a bit, which please the majority of listeners. The 2500 reproduce all frequencies rougly in the same way without hiding any details (or flaws in your music).

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #2,138 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the ed9 has a lower impedance than the 750, would that mean they would be easier to drive without an amp? Not talking about soundqual..

Well, yes and no. You could get loudness from an iPod alone, but it very likely would sound quite unsatisfying at higher volume levels. Again, low impedance think current, current, and current!
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #2,139 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The impedance is the same, I have measured both....it SEEMS TO BE easier as the drivers are closer to the ears, and you need less power to drive them to the same apparent level, but don't forget that they share the same exact driver, ok?

From a Ipod not sure, but from my D-33 or D-34 earpiecing levels...very good sound and you cna not crank them up all the way....

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #2,140 of 5,942
Nice to see this thread still rolling along,i'm still loving my 2500's more by the day and after a few weeks use would now class them as the most enjoyable headphone's i've owned.
Any half decent recording just sounds right to my ears, plenty of attack and bite when needed but still remaining smooth,and i don't seem to get listening fatigue using them which is a bonus.
Oh and other headphones just look nasty to me now if their not a nice dark shade of blue
icon10.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #2,142 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The impedance is the same, I have measured both....it SEEMS TO BE easier as the drivers are closer to the ears, and you need less power to drive them to the same apparent level, but don't forget that they share the same exact driver, ok?

From a Ipod not sure, but from my D-33 or D-34 earpiecing levels...very good sound and you cna not crank them up all the way....

Ah ok, cause at ultrasone.com I read the ed9 had an impedance of 30 and the 750 has 40..So that got me wondering. Thanx for the replies guys!

(Oh and btw; just received the cd from Charlotte Gainsbourg Woehoeww so I'll be floating for a while
icon10.gif
)
Funny thing I noticed; I had downloaded a couple of songs from 5:55 to check it out and they had a qual of 208 kbps MP3, now listening to 1536 kbps AIFF and the disturbing reverb I heard before is now gone..the bass is more listenable now.

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #2,143 of 5,942
...another dispatch from the professional world, this time a review of the HFI-700, written by conductor/arranger Tony Adams, who references his impressions of the Ultrasones with recordings of pieces that he arranged, conducted, and produced at Studio 1, Abbey Road with the London Symphony Orchestra.

From audioMIDI.com:

HFI-700 Review

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #2,144 of 5,942
Hey, I've one question about the 650's, maybe someone can help me?

I have the opportunity to pick up a used 650's for about $170 shipped. I am interested in these headphones because I already have the 555's and now I need some closed ones too.

There is only 1 review about the 650's at head-fi, therefore your opinion is appreciated. I like the sound of my 555's, but won't buy the 650's if they are equal or worse in sound quality... (or are they just different?)

Thanks, Peter

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #2,145 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirVesseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I've one question about the 650's, maybe someone can help me?

I have the opportunity to pick up a used 650's for about $170 shipped. I am interested in these headphones because I already have the 555's and now I need some closed ones too.

There is only 1 review about the 650's at head-fi, therefore your opinion is appreciated. I like the sound of my 555's, but won't buy the 650's if they are equal or worse in sound quality... (or are they just different?)

Thanks, Peter

Saint.panda put an exceptional review of HFI-650 in his thorough treatise of closed headphones. (search for review of closed headphones in title)
In two words:
-Exciting and fun at first
But
-Highs are overemphasized that makes the somehow artificially sounding, mids are swallowed, fatiguing in a long term.
I had them and got rid in favor of AKG-K271S, never looked back.
My only hope is that Prolines are different. But what stumps me is that all earlier reviews of Prolines do not sound that much different from HFI description, same metallic artificial sound, uneasy brightness. And looks like these reviewers did burn them in for a prolonged period before judging.
confused.gif

Personally, I am looking forward to more impressions from saint.panda on Proline series before jumping the Ultrasone wagon again, as he has them now but his first impressions sound somehow politely vague, if I may say so.

EDIT: My apologies, but I thought you were asking about HFI-650 as this is what was covered in saint.panda's review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back