There's Something About Ultrasone…
Feb 10, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #1,231 of 5,942
Why is the impedance of the 750/2500 so low? Since they're the PROline, and supposedly they are rugged and blue, etc. for recording engineers, shouldn't they be 600 Ohms instead of 40 Ohms?

In the threads discussing the 600 Ohm Beyerdynamics, people have said that 600 Ohms is more standard in recording consoles, and that it makes sense because as you plug in headphones in parallel the impedance drops. In that case, wouldn't Ultrasone's 40 Ohm impedance be more appropriate for use with low-powered devices (e.g. unamped iPods) rather than with studio equipment?

Feb 10, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #1,232 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where, if I may, did you get your pink noise (as odd as that sounds)?

Back in my day, we didn't go in for any of these fancy-pants short-cuts. We gutted it out like nature intended!
costumed-smiley-088.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #1,233 of 5,942
I got the John Boham cuts from a website that other member posted here, and they are just some takes from drums in several Zeppelin pieces, I do not think you can get any better break in CD...this will kick the drivers in...
icon10.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #1,234 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the John Boham cuts from a website that other member posted here, and they are just some takes from drums in several Zeppelin pieces, I do not think you can get any better break in CD...this will kick the drivers in...
icon10.gif

What a coincidence, I'm listening to Led Zeppelin - Ten Years Gone right now.

Sovkiller: Do you have the link handy? It's kind of hard to find things in a 60+ page thread!

Feb 10, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #1,235 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a coincidence, I'm listening to Led Zeppelin - Ten Years Gone right now.

Sovkiller: Do you have the link handy? It's kind of hard to find things in a 60+ page thread!

Be my guest:

http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm

Feb 11, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #1,236 of 5,942
Feb 11, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #1,237 of 5,942
Quote:

Why is the impedance of the 750/2500 so low? Since they're the PROline, and supposedly they are rugged and blue, etc. for recording engineers, shouldn't they be 600 Ohms instead of 40 Ohms?

In the threads discussing the 600 Ohm Beyerdynamics, people have said that 600 Ohms is more standard in recording consoles, and that it makes sense because as you plug in headphones in parallel the impedance drops. In that case, wouldn't Ultrasone's 40 Ohm impedance be more appropriate for use with low-powered devices (e.g. unamped iPods) rather than with studio equipment?

Actually, Zoide, things aren't always what we might expect them to be.

Although the PROline 2500 (& 750 for that matter) have a rated impedance of 40 Ohm and can be readily driven to high listening levels by even an iPod, the quality of that volume is suspect at best. Bass is rather flat, high-end detail breaks-up quickly, and overall musicality is somewhat lifeless.

What is needed is an amplifier with the potential of proper high-current delivery, as these two PROlines are power-hungry beasties!

Feb 11, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #1,238 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back in my day, we didn't go in for any of these fancy-pants short-cuts. We gutted it out like nature intended!
costumed-smiley-088.gif

This pink noise, at least from the place I d/l it from, does
not seem to have much fluctuation. I wonder if it really will
open up the diaphragms like some 3,000 continuous songs
over and over from my Itunes library.:

Feb 11, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #1,239 of 5,942
Quote:

This pink noise, at least from the place I d/l it from, does
not seem to have much fluctuation. I wonder if it really will
open up the diaphragms like some 3,000 continuous songs
over and over from my Itunes library.:

I ask myself the same. Supposedly pink noise has equal energy at all octaves, but I mostly hear higher frequencies. No sign of the 2500s ear-rattling bass when the pink noise is on.

Nevermind, I think Wikipedia explains this:

"The human auditory system, which processes frequencies in a roughly logarithmic fashion approximated by the Bark scale, does not perceive them with equal sensitivity; signals in the 2-4-kHz octave sound loudest, and the loudness of other frequencies drops increasingly, depending both on the distance from the peak-sensitivity area and on the level."

Feb 11, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #1,240 of 5,942
For someone who has had mixed results from burn in with past can's,these Prolines are going a long way to convincing me of its merits.
The bass seemed to get pretty dominant after minimal hours before easing back a little to weighty,defined with very nice extension,ideal for me
biggrin.gif

The mids and topend are very smooth,with bags of attack again an ideal combination for me! as the mids bloom so i'm noticing very good detail levels,and being a lover of guitar i'm astonished how good electric guitar sounds on these
biggrin.gif

AC/DC would be about the heaviest music i listen to and Back In Black sounds simply fantastic through the 2500's.
If these Prolines continue sounding just as they do now in the coming weeks i'll be VERY happy,after 85 hours listening and burn in time i'm having a ball,any other changes i perceive with time will just be an added bonus.

Feb 11, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #1,241 of 5,942
Thanks. Sounds like a tv left on with no program on it. I must
be old-fashioned, I think I am heading back to the music
burn-in; worked for all my Sennheisers, Grados and AKG.
Plus I get to hear some tunes while they hang on the headphone rack.

Feb 11, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #1,242 of 5,942
Quote:

I really have to use an amp to get full loudness out of the 750's while using an iPod. Also the SQ remarkably improves when using an amp. That is really amazing. The amp in the iPod itself really sucks bigtime!!

Feb 11, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #1,243 of 5,942
Quote:

where, if I may, did you get your pink noise (as odd as that sounds)?

I used the site: http://www.binkster.net/extras.shtml#cd
They have a 20 minutes Pink Noise wich I use during the time I go to bed. let them run every night (since i discovered it) and it does improve sound.

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #1,244 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyli3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If these Prolines continue sounding just as they do now in the coming weeks i'll be VERY happy,after 85 hours listening and burn in time i'm having a ball,any other changes i perceive with time will just be an added bonus.

nicely spoken!!
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #1,245 of 5,942
Contrastique

Great find and thanks for sharing.

Much like the tones choices on my disk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the site: http://www.binkster.net/extras.shtml#cd
They have a 20 minutes Pink Noise wich I use during the time I go to bed. let them run every night (since i discovered it) and it does improve sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back