There's Something About Ultrasone…
Feb 7, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #976 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dex. Who else.
icon10.gif

I have the 2500s and the Heed. I'm still burning mine in and have been using them exclusively with the Extreme so far. I'll get back with you guys in a week or so.

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #977 of 5,942
glad that I can help. I am looking forward to the grado too! Well I am a rock listening too, I am currently burning it in with liquid tension experiment, but I ve played some eagles, radiohead, damien rice, jack johnson, clash, etc... The 2500 definite sound different than other headphones. The bass is what everybody talks about and I see why now, it really does sound full and I guess speaker like. Everything sounds very natural. When I switch back to the 990s I can easily tell that its a headphone presentation. However, since my pair is far from burn in, my 990 easily best it in detail(the 2500 sounds a little...hazy right now). Hopefully that will change. Comfortwise 990 is better because of the slight clamping force of my new 2500.

Mike

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #978 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmer116 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, so far I am really liking the presentation. Its very involving and the bass, such full body bass!! For already burned in people when you say the treble setting in will the phones be more detailed? Right now I am loving the sound but they are too muddy for this class of headphone, I guess I am still a good couple days for the detail to come out? I am already used to their sound presentation. If they have the detail that my 990 has right now, I am set!

Thanks,

Mike

Yeah, mine are burned in, and I like them. More detailed. Not muddy at all. Good couple of days left of burning in for you, I'd say. Some people become used to their sound presentation right away, I suppose. You can safely bend the headband pushing your thumbs in the middle and bending them outwards to reduce the clamping force if that bothers you.

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #979 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If these Ultrasones are able to separate my Heed/701 love match, I will be floored! This is a synergy I have not had with any of my other amps &/or headphones. No one would love a better match than I! In 2 weeks + 150/200 hours the steel cage match will begin.

It might just happen...
I'll be front row.
btw: Dex has 2500 + Heed.

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #980 of 5,942
Thanks Terry. I tried bending already but I guess these are too new, not uncomfortable at all but just something I was curious about. Another thing that I found weird was usually when a can requires burn in its the bass that needs to be more present and the high is too much. Its interesting that the ultrasone is the exact opposite! Especially for a titanium coated driver I was expecting lots of shrill highs. Anyways these are definitely growing on me big time, big thanks to Kees and Dex for helping me answer some question and helped me making my decision to go with the 2500
wink.gif

Mike

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #981 of 5,942
anybody using the dynahi with them?

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #982 of 5,942
Quote:

Thanks Terry. I tried bending already but I guess these are too new, not uncomfortable at all but just something I was curious about. Another thing that I found weird was usually when a can requires burn in its the bass that needs to be more present and the high is too much. Its interesting that the ultrasone is the exact opposite! Especially for a titanium coated driver I was expecting lots of shrill highs. Anyways these are definitely growing on me big time, big thanks to Kees and Dex for helping me answer some question and helped me making my decision to go with the 2500
wink.gif

Mike

According to a statement made by the marketing director at Ultrasone, simply make certain you push with two thumbs right in the middle pressing downwards while pulling upwards to either side on the clamp. That's a new feature.

Bass actually gets better, too! You wait and see!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #983 of 5,942
Mike:

I'm glad you're enjoying the 2500s. It's funny that if I do get the 2500s we'll have the exact same headphones: 2500s, RS-1s, and DT-990s!

In my case, though, if the 2500s come then either the RS-1s or DT-990s have to go. Well, ideally I should keep only one TOTAL. Of course, that's what I said when I got the DT-990s! "If the DT-990s come, then either the RS-1s go or the DT-990s go"
rs1smile.gif
hahaha welcome to the Head-Fi Curse...

From what you're saying, though, *maybe* it makes some sense to sell the DT-990s as opposed to the RS-1? I say this because you give me the impression that the 2500s are more similar to the DT-990s than to the RS-1s.

The 2500s are described as "speaker-like", "analytical" (in the good sense), "accurate", and "clean". Meanwhile the DT-990s have a pretty good soundstage and are very detailed (esp. with the highs, e.g. cymbals). I'd say they're colder than the RS-1s, which seems to match some people's impressions of the 2500s. Also, the DT-990s have great bass, but I think they don't quite reach the level of almost physical "impact" that you feel on the RS-1s, especially from bass drums. (I guess in terms of the bass then the 2500s would actually be more similar to the RS-1s, then. Honestly, if they have the same impact that the RS-1s have, I'm pretty much sold!)

On the other hand, the RS-1s are very much in-your-face "headphone-like", and pretty much everyone agrees that they are way more fun and colored than technically "accurate". IIRC, though, people like Zanth will tell you that they nail the tone of wood instruments. Oh, and maybe you don't find the 2500s as comfy as the DT-990s, but I'm willing to bet some money that they're both way more comfortable than the RS-1s (with reversed bowls, which IMO makes them sound their absolute best out of any pads)!

Does this make sense? Maybe there are other people out there that have 2500s + DT-990s or RS-1s that could chime in?

Thanks.

Feb 7, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #984 of 5,942
Quote:

well, so far I am really liking the presentation. Its very involving and the bass, such full body bass!! For already burned in people when you say the treble setting in will the phones be more detailed? Right now I am loving the sound but they are too muddy for this class of headphone, I guess I am still a good couple days for the detail to come out?

Yes, they will be much more detailed. But it's best not to use the word muddy 'round these parts!
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #985 of 5,942
so which would be the better option for me, considering my lowfi source and that i will be buying a govibe or similar to amp with if nessecary: 2200 or 2500 ? are the open back versions much different/'better' than the closed(750, 650)?
thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #986 of 5,942
Nobody listened to metal, especially Deathmetal with Ultrasones yet? Interested to hear how they fare with ultimate bassdrum + intensity speed test.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #987 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody listened to metal, especially Deathmetal with Ultrasones yet? Interested to hear how they fare with ultimate bassdrum + intensity speed test.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a couple of metal CDs around, but not particularly death, they sound impresive, the drivers are really fast, they have no problems handling for example Opeth...

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #988 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

The 750's handle In Flames (newer albums) pretty darn good. The highs are a bit harsh, but I blame that more on the recording. Same with Hypocrisy (The Arrival). The 2200 does ok, but it's too mellow overall for this type of music. Still better than most cans I've heard, but the 750 aces it easily for metal.

Feb 7, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #989 of 5,942
Test songs.

Trauma - Unable To React. A a dirtier original deathmetally sound and bassier bass drum. Blurry?
http://www.trauma.art.pl/mp3_pliki/unable.mp3

Trauma - Hidden Seed. A clean, heavily triggered bass drum. Not exactly a challenge, but good intensity and headbangability test, especially part starting in 1:20. Need to be loud.
http://www.trauma.art.pl/mp3_pliki/unable.mp3

Hate Eternal - Behold Judas. Ultimate speed/clarity test. Derek blasting the bejeezus out of its drums, and midbassy recording tone isnt helping issue. Blurry? Some headphones with prominent bass response have difficulty to produce clear guitar riffing behind the drum mayhem.
http://www.hateeternal.com/audio/02....ld%20Judas.mp3

Feb 7, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #990 of 5,942
Quote:

The 750's handle In Flames (newer albums) pretty darn good. The highs are a bit harsh, but I blame that more on the recording. Same with Hypocrisy (The Arrival). The 2200 does ok, but it's too mellow overall for this type of music. Still better than most cans I've heard, but the 750 aces it easily for metal.

Sweet!
biggrin.gif
Not a fan of Gothenburg style, but In Flames does have some good songs, as does Hypocrisy.

Quote:

I have a couple of metal CDs around, but not particularly death, they sound impresive, the drivers are really fast, they have no problems handling for example Opeth...

What metal songs/bands you have tested?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back