There's Something About Ultrasone…
Jul 11, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #5,881 of 5,942
Quote:

They have intimacy similar to grados as you are noticing; more "up front sonics" or whatever you want to call it.
Ragged?

Yeah, comparing it to other things it seems to be its flavor, it's really minor though. Midrange on the portapros is grainy, on the rx700 it's muddy, the 840 is silky smooth, probably too smooth, and on the 680 it's a little sharp and rough sounding, like it adds a ragged edge on everything. Gives guitars some extra crunchiness though, can't say I mind.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #5,882 of 5,942
So heres my problem, I'm not sure if i should make a new thread, but anyway. 

My friend is letting me borrow his Ultrasones DJ1 (580) and Senn 595's. I loved the flat analytical side of the 595's but could never get "into" the music i was listening to. On the other hand i listened to the DJ1, i immediately noticed the less soundstage and detail, but i got up and started dancing (figuratively of course). The one thing that really rubbed me wrong was the harsh highs and sibilance the DJ1's produced. Ive searched this subject before i wrote this up and found that many Ultrasones suffer from sibilance, especially the 2xxx series.

Now the issue is, I've ruled out buying either right now, due to the issues above. My main genres i listen to is Prog Rock (Foo Fighters, Blink 182, MCR, Muse) and Techno (Melodic, Hardcore, Chill) i would like to find a set that would have a reasonable Soundstage, NO sibilance/ harsh highs, and detailed/separated. No preference in Open vs Closed.

I've looked into the Pro 550/DJ1 Pro's, and they sound like the right choice but i would like to venture to some other brands due to the Love/Hate nature of the ultrasones in general.

Budget hopefully equal or less than $200, but if there is something that is much better for around $200-300 lemme know.

Any recommendations? I'm leaving for he Air Force in exactly a month, so time is of the essence, per-se :)

Thanks for all the help!!
-Corey

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #5,883 of 5,942

Quote:
So heres my problem, I'm not sure if i should make a new thread, but anyway. 

My friend is letting me borrow his Ultrasones DJ1 (580) and Senn 595's. I loved the flat analytical side of the 595's but could never get "into" the music i was listening to. On the other hand i listened to the DJ1, i immediately noticed the less soundstage and detail, but i got up and started dancing (figuratively of course). The one thing that really rubbed me wrong was the harsh highs and sibilance the DJ1's produced. Ive searched this subject before i wrote this up and found that many Ultrasones suffer from sibilance, especially the 2xxx series.

Now the issue is, I've ruled out buying either right now, due to the issues above. My main genres i listen to is Prog Rock (Foo Fighters, Blink 182, MCR, Muse) and Techno (Melodic, Hardcore, Chill) i would like to find a set that would have a reasonable Soundstage, NO sibilance/ harsh highs, and detailed/separated. No preference in Open vs Closed.

I've looked into the Pro 550/DJ1 Pro's, and they sound like the right choice but i would like to venture to some other brands due to the Love/Hate nature of the ultrasones in general.

Budget hopefully equal or less than $200, but if there is something that is much better for around $200-300 lemme know.

Any recommendations? I'm leaving for he Air Force in exactly a month, so time is of the essence, per-se :)

Thanks for all the help!!
-Corey

I'm wondering more about the DJ1 PRO's sound as well. I've generally read that they're more refined (clearer highs and lows, and less bass quantity) and have a better S-Logic effect than the DJ1's.

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #5,884 of 5,942
They are risky love/hate phones. I would suggest something else first.

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #5,886 of 5,942
I think grado/ denon is up your alley. They are less analytcal than ultras one ( from what I gather) and more warm than the very neutral sennheisers. I've only heard /owned what's in my signature, bear in mind.

So at price range that seems like my recommendations,...

Grado sr325. And denon d2000

Love to hear what your listening interpretations are..

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #5,887 of 5,942

Quote:
They are risky love/hate phones. I would suggest something else first.

Were you referring to the DJ1 PRO's or the HFI-580's? A lot of people seem to rave about the HFI-580's.

Quote:
I think grado/ denon is up your alley. They are less analytcal than ultras one ( from what I gather) and more warm than the very neutral sennheisers. I've only heard /owned what's in my signature, bear in mind.

So at price range that seems like my recommendations,...

Grado sr325. And denon d2000

Love to hear what your listening interpretations are..

Maybe try the Denon-AH-D1100's? I had a recommendation for them, though I think the D2000's are better based on what I've read. Ultrasones are analytical headphones? I've been reading that they were very fun headphones whereas Grados and Denon are more neutral...maybe I'm misinterpreting things. 
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #5,889 of 5,942
I don't recommend Grados.  Harsh highs, sibilance, you may not like it.  They need Dynamat Xtreme on the back of the drivers if you end up almost liking them and not deciding on anything else.  Beyers may be the way to go in the end.  You can most certainly "get into the music" while still maintaining greater analytical ability with DT880Pro, for example.  DT660/860 may be up your alley, I speculate, and easier to power than DT880.  You may want to ask in their respective appreciation threads.
Also Grados =/= neutral, and certainly more fun than the HFI2400 I have now.  Not a big difference.  Doesn't D2k have loads of sibilance?  That's one of the things people complain about as far as those headphones.

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #5,890 of 5,942

Quote:
I don't recommend Grados.  Harsh highs, sibilance, you may not like it.  They need Dynamat Xtreme on the back of the drivers if you end up almost liking them and not deciding on anything else.  Beyers may be the way to go in the end.  You can most certainly "get into the music" while still maintaining greater analytical ability with DT880Pro, for example.  DT660/860 may be up your alley, I speculate, and easier to power than DT880.  You may want to ask in their respective appreciation threads.
Also Grados =/= neutral, and certainly more fun than the HFI2400 I have now.  Not a big difference.  Doesn't D2k have loads of sibilance?  That's one of the things people complain about as far as those headphones.

Ok so, i went to audio labs by Harvard today and tried some AKG 701's. Wasn't instantly impressed, but there was no sibilance. I was in a bit of a rush, and couldn't get an accurate description. I don't think that's the sound I'm looking for though. One thing that has off put me to buying the Dt990/880/770 is the possible amount of sibilance in them as well. I'm VERY sensitive to sibilance unfortunately, so if you could let me know if those are sibilant at all i would be grateful. I already have a Fiio E7 with an E9 on the way, if that helps at all.

If i get any more off track ill make a new thread :)

Im up for buying a pair used as well, would HD600/650 pair well with the fiio and rock/electronic?

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #5,891 of 5,942
HD600 will be okay for electronic, but will lack treble sparkle.  I think it is fine for rock unless you prefer a very forward sound.

I don't remember how sibilant DT880/990/770 are.

K701 doesn't immediately impress, it is very balanced in how well it does in all sonic aspects so nothing immediately sticks out like with many other headphones.  Tonal balance is also great, even better after dampening it.  Whether the E9 can power it properly and not give you a hollowed-out, partly-mutilated sound I would not know.  Give it another listen later if you can, it may grow on you. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #5,892 of 5,942
The Ultrasone Dj1 Pro will be my first pair of decent cans. I will get my hands on them within 10-20 days. (expensive express shipping and small wallets don't mix 
triportsad.gif
) I'll post a review on everything except for the sound when I get them 
dt880smile.png

Jul 21, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #5,893 of 5,942

Quote:
The Ultrasone Dj1 Pro will be my first pair of decent cans. I will get my hands on them within 10-20 days. (expensive express shipping and small wallets don't mix 
triportsad.gif
) I'll post a review on everything except for the sound when I get them 
dt880smile.png

Excellent, I look forward to reading your impressions.
L3000.gif

For a more balanced sound signature (compared to the HFI-580's), do you guys recommend the HFI-680's or the 550 PRO model? I've read that both are more balanced than the 580's but the 550 PRO has better soundstaging/S-Logic effects.

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #5,894 of 5,942
For headphones with S-Logic (non-Plus), the ears have to be centered and towards the top of the earpads, right?

Edit:  I forgot to ask, since I bought mine second-hand, I washed the headband padding and earpads with soap and water an they released a lot of dye(?).  Their color, feel, nothing has changed.  What's it for?

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #5,895 of 5,942

Quote:
For headphones with S-Logic (non-Plus), the ears have to be centered and towards the top of the earpads, right?

Edit:  I forgot to ask, since I bought mine second-hand, I washed the headband padding and earpads with soap and water an they released a lot of dye(?).  Their color, feel, nothing has changed.  What's it for?

i just move my ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back