Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #6,661 of 12,550
Quote:
I highly doubt anyone will be sending me another review unit ever, seeing how I have a history of inconsistent presence now. One 3-month slip is all it takes...
To be fair, I have them in my swimming bag at all times, so I'm fairly familiarized with them and can churn out a review whenever. It's just that finding a nice way to word it all's the problem.

Don't I know that all too well. A dozen attempts, all in various degrees of completion, before I finally arrived at the current review. And you know what? I've already thought of things I forgot, but I need to get away from it for a while at this point. I'll collect up everything I forgot and add it all at once, at a later date.

And, slightly related, I wore the MA-350 the whole time I did its review. Now I've switched to my SRH440, and it's like these things have no bass. There's a sort of "pub-pub" sound that might be the punch of upper bass, and I'm slowly getting used to the signature and presentation again. It's just amazing how huge the difference between these two is, when the difference between the Shures and my DT880 isn't anywhere near as drastic (and favors the SRH440 in bass).

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #6,662 of 12,550
I actually really liked the SRH440, shame I didn't keep the spares.

Speaking of pub-pub, that's sort of what's happening with the Trumpets I got yesterday. I can't compare, but I have a heavy suspicion that these are thicker and warmer than my old pairs. I think the friend I got them for wouldn't mind much though....

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #6,664 of 12,550
It has a nice tinge of warmth, either ends aren't overly extended, absolutely no fatigue. I daresay it's a fantastic phone for music listening.

But I guess we're just two different species.... :frowning2:

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #6,666 of 12,550
Irreconcilable differences in audio tastes - I'll see you in court.

I don't know why people on this site don't just resort to the legal system more often whenever they have a spat regarding audio. Would save a lot more time.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #6,667 of 12,550
I like the SRH440 just fine for music. That said, they have their faults for sure. The treble isn't really that well extended, though they've got a spike in the upper treble that produces a bit of tizz. They're also guilty of that "line between the ears" kind of soundstage. A closed DT880 they are not, but they have the same basic tonal profile, except without as much extension on either end and with a bit of a midbass bump.

They work very well for me as a general-purpose headphone, and for a while I even used them portably. Yeah, imagine that for a moment. Stop laughing.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #6,668 of 12,550
Quote:
I like the SRH440 just fine for music. That said, they have their faults for sure. The treble isn't really that well extended, though they've got a spike in the upper treble that produces a bit of tizz. They're also guilty of that "line between the ears" kind of soundstage. A closed DT880 they are not, but they have the same basic tonal profile, except without as much extension on either end and with a bit of a midbass bump.

They work very well for me as a general-purpose headphone, and for a while I even used them portably. Yeah, imagine that for a moment. Stop laughing.

I actually considered an srh240 for portable uses lol (not so hard to imagine since I use an MS1i now for portable uses.)

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #6,669 of 12,550
Quote:
I actually considered an srh240 for portable uses lol (not so hard to imagine since I use an MS1i now for portable uses.)

An interesting choice (MS1i). I'm assuming that the environment where you listen to music portably isn't particularly loud, such that you wouldn't need the isolation of a closed headphone.

I've never heard the SRH240, though the few people I've come across who have generally say it's a bit bass light and that the performance delta between it and the SRH440 is a lot larger than that between the SRH440 and the SRH840. In other words, not really a great price/performance ratio.

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #6,670 of 12,550
Sorry to double post, but something weird just happened. It's been a while since I used either of my IEMs, and just now when I was putting a set of large Sony Hybrids onto my S6...it rejected them.

The barrel is smooth, without any retaining lip. Normally tips just slide on and off without a problem. I'd used these particular ones many times. This time, however, one of them actually popped off in my ear canal when I was trying to fit the earpiece. When I finally dug it out and tried putting it on the barrel, it continually popped off. I decided to go fetch my medium Hybrids off my MA-350 instead, and they're doing the same thing.

Do these things go stale or something?

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #6,671 of 12,550
Lol, they're trying to tell you that you need dual-density tips. 
smile.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #6,672 of 12,550
Quote:

An interesting choice (MS1i). I'm assuming that the environment where you listen to music portably isn't particularly loud, such that you wouldn't need the isolation of a closed headphone.

I've never heard the SRH240, though the few people I've come across who have generally say it's a bit bass light and that the performance delta between it and the SRH440 is a lot larger than that between the SRH440 and the SRH840. In other words, not really a great price/performance ratio.

Well but the srh240 is a really good sounding can once I have applied the eq on it. But then I didn't have enough need for the shure so that's why I don't have one.
Also it depends where i go with the MS1i, it may be really loud or quiet (but mostly loud) but i don't mind, i still get to talk and chat with the headphones on. Not to forget the performance ratio of the alessandros way surpasses the shures too.

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #6,673 of 12,550
Has everyone fallen asleep? Granted I couldn't be here in the morning...

For the tip thing, I've only had that happen with my aluminum-bodied IEMs. But it has happened nevertheless, so you're not alone :D
Must be surface viscosity under strange temperatures/exposure to oils and all that.

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #6,674 of 12,550
On the tips - could the sound hole be plugged with wax? If there is air in the tube that can't escape out the sound hole, then putting them on the tip might compress the air and force the tip to pop off. Just a wild guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back