thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Jun 17, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #2,611 of 4,190
Thanks for the input on the FW installation. This is my first Android DAP, and was not keen on bricking it out of the box. This is an excellent device and admittedly, I may need to re-train my ears to appreciate the detailed and 'polite' nature it demonstrates. I have heard details I never realized were there.

Jun 17, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #2,612 of 4,190
Thanks for the input on the FW installation. This is my first Android DAP, and was not keen on bricking it out of the box. This is an excellent device and admittedly, I may need to re-train my ears to appreciate the detailed and 'polite' nature it demonstrates. I have heard details I never realized were there.

Enjoy your new toy! you'll pretty much like it. IMO, Opus players are the best ones in the market in terms of their price to performance/SQ ratio - simple bang for the buck! :thumbsup:

Jun 17, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #2,613 of 4,190
This is an excellent device and admittedly, I may need to re-train my ears to appreciate the detailed and 'polite' nature it demonstrates. I have heard details I never realized were there.
For details I have to agree.
However the Opus #1 is far from being polite in terms of bass and treble.
I would even say thet that the treble are relatively bright when compared with more "polite" DAP (obvious when compared to AK380 or Cayin N5, although the latter if a bass monster)

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #2,614 of 4,190
The Opus#1 has great treble, which can be slightly bright. But the overall sig is not bright. And the bass is wonderful. It's neutral done right. Great dynamics giving punchy bass, sparkly treble, and vivid mids.

If you find it lacking bass, your headphones are the disappointment, not the player. In no way shape or form is the Opus#1 light on lows, or any frequency, really. There are players which exaggerate the bass, like the very warm-sounding Cayin i5. I love that player. But the Opus#1 is neutral, not lacking sub range. Never buy a DAP based on such nonsense. There are far more powerful ways to effect the tuning. If you require more bass, get better headphones.

Or of course, just a little EQ.

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #2,615 of 4,190
Would anyone know how the Opus#1 compares in detail retrieval to the Cowon P1?

Also interesting how the Opus #3 went to the same DAC as Cowon P1. I know all about implementation but still an interesting choice by Opus to use considering BB is an older chip.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #2,616 of 4,190
The Opus#1 has great treble, which can be slightly bright. But the overall sig is not bright. And the bass is wonderful. It's neutral done right. Great dynamics giving punchy bass, sparkly treble, and vivid mids.

If you find it lacking bass, your headphones are the disappointment, not the player. In no way shape or form is the Opus#1 light on lows, or any frequency, really. There are players which exaggerate the bass, like the very warm-sounding Cayin i5. I love that player. But the Opus#1 is neutral, not lacking sub range. Never buy a DAP based on such nonsense. There are far more powerful ways to effect the tuning. If you require more bass, get better headphones.
Please note I have no issue with Opus #1 bass. As I said, it's not "polite", but in a good sense since I love my bass.

Regarding treble, it makes pairing with bright IEMs or headphones a relatively "painful" experience with cymbals, although it is simple to EQ treble down (= much less problematic than having to EQ something upwards).

That being said, it is still great value for the price, with a great UI, and superior autonomy for an Android-based DAP (unbeaten autonomy until AK Kann came out, but at twice the price).
And the deep sleep feature is top notch, mine lost barely 5% over 2 weeks of non-use, without having to switch it off.

Jun 19, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #2,617 of 4,190
And the deep sleep feature is top notch, mine lost barely 5% over 2 weeks of non-use, without having to switch it off.

I love that feature. I never turn mine off. It is always ready for me to listen to without waiting for a lengthy bootup. Some daps I have tried seem like they take forever to be ready.

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #2,618 of 4,190
Please note I have no issue with Opus #1 bass. As I said, it's not "polite", but in a good sense since I love my bass.

Regarding treble, it makes pairing with bright IEMs or headphones a relatively "painful" experience with cymbals, although it is simple to EQ treble down (= much less problematic than having to EQ something upwards).

That being said, it is still great value for the price, with a great UI, and superior autonomy for an Android-based DAP (unbeaten autonomy until AK Kann came out, but at twice the price).

Yeah, I can't totally see it being harsh when paired with a bright headphone.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #2,619 of 4,190
Submitted a feature request just now in Opus board, crossing my fingers for them to do it. Here is the content of my request.

------------------------------------
Dear Opus,

Please kindly include in your next firmware for Opus #1 (same with your other players) the ability to play through folder in the music library. Meaning that when all song in the folder has been played, it will continue playing with the next adjacent folder alphabetically (ex. FolderA -> FolderB -> ... FolderX). This is a basic feature that all players have except for Opus, this will help avoid inconvenience of manually selecting folder when songs in one folder has been played.

Second, if it is also possible to have the facility to delete files and/or folders instead to doing the same by connecting the player with computer. You can check player such as Fiio on how this is being handled.

Besides of the above, I consider Opus DAP a perfect players. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #2,620 of 4,190
Submitted a feature request just now in Opus board, crossing my fingers for them to do it. Here is the content of my request.

Dear Opus,

Please kindly include in your next firmware for Opus #1 (same with your other players) the ability to play through folder in the music library. Meaning that when all song in the folder has been played, it will continue playing with the next adjacent folder alphabetically (ex. FolderA -> FolderB -> ... FolderX). This is a basic feature that all players have except for Opus, this will help avoid inconvenience of manually selecting folder when songs in one folder has been played.

Second, if it is also possible to have the facility to delete files and/or folders instead to doing the same by connecting the player with computer. You can check player such as Fiio on how this is being handled.

Nice suggestions! Let's hope thebit guys take those into consideration when they prepare the next firmware update.

Jun 21, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #2,621 of 4,190

Dear Opus,

I also agree with the suggestions. I would love to see continuous play even after the album/folder is over but I would make it a feature that can be turned on/off depending on preference. Not always would I want the player to play forever. Hopefully if they implement it, they will make it so that we have a toggle switch for it.

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #2,622 of 4,190
I really need this feature! I hope they prioritize this.

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #2,623 of 4,190
Would anyone know how the Opus#1 compares in detail retrieval to the Cowon P1?

I might be able to inform you on that later on, as I have a P1 and picked up a (few weeks old) Opus #1 yesterday.
I guess it will be here next week...

Very curious how this dap will sound in general and how synergy will be with different (c)iems.
The reviews/posts I read so far were quite positive on sq => high expectations.

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #2,624 of 4,190
If using the optical out from the Opus #1, where is it selected in settings? The socket is HO, LO or Optical out but I don't see a selection option anywhere.

Firmware is 2.00. It's a new purchase and I don't have an optical connector yet but one is on the way. I'm keen to try this into my Naim Unitiqute.

Thanks

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #2,625 of 4,190
If using the optical out from the Opus #1, where is it selected in settings? The socket is HO, LO or Optical out but I don't see a selection option anywhere.

Firmware is 2.00. It's a new purchase and I don't have an optical connector yet but one is on the way. I'm keen to try this into my Naim Unitiqute.

Thanks
Just plug in the optical cable - there is nothing to select. it will also work with output set to balanced, which is great for me as I use optical to Hugo and balanced headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back