thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Jun 9, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #2,581 of 4,190
Is everyone that owns the Opus #1 still enjoying it?
Reading through the thread it seems generally positive reviews with the updated firmware aside from that 10 second bug. I am looking to replace a Ak Jr. I was looking at the Opus #3 but its a little out of my price range and I am not really looking to stream or blue-tooth. Just want a good sounding player with a touch screen, Balanced Out, able to play DSD and optical out. Was also looking at the Cayin i5 and Fiio X5-III but most reviews seem to say that Opus 1 has a better overall sound. Was going to pair this with a iFi micro iDSD Black Label and various headphones/IEM's.

Jun 9, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #2,583 of 4,190
Reading through the thread it seems generally positive reviews with the updated firmware aside from that 10 second bug. I am looking to replace a Ak Jr. I was looking at the Opus #3 but its a little out of my price range and I am not really looking to stream or blue-tooth. Just want a good sounding player with a touch screen, Balanced Out, able to play DSD and optical out. Was also looking at the Cayin i5 and Fiio X5-III but most reviews seem to say that Opus 1 has a better overall sound. Was going to pair this with a iFi micro iDSD Black Label and various headphones/IEM's.

I currently have the FiiO x5iii, reviewed the Cayin i5, and the Opus. #1 I would agree that the Opus probably sounds the best of the three. I do really enjoy the FiiO but I too, am looking to purchase an Opus #1 for review purposes. To me, it provided the "cleanest" sounds, without all of the frills to worry about. Also, it is the most neutral of those three, and I do prefer a slightly warmer sound. So for me to want one myself, is a pretty good indication (please don't take this as bragging, it is an endorsement of the #1's qualities), that the critter is pretty good.

Cheers, and best of luck!

Jun 9, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #2,584 of 4,190
Thank you ... Not a mention of this in the manual anywhere. I have that downloaded and opened the app, but it won't allow me to drag and drop files from iTunes to the icon that shows up on the desktop. I've been using a Fiio X5 for a couple of years and it was pretty easy/intuitive right out of the gates. It IS my first adventure with an Android device as I am surrounded by Mac (please don't hold that against me :) ) I have read and reread the manual and the AFT instructions. Not sure if my 'screen is locked' as I've never seen this before and am wondering if indeed my Opus screen is locked. Going through 'settings' it doesn't seem to be, or at least doesn't mention it. I'm hoping this is the only hitch to getting onboard. Do you use a Mac kel77 ??
Thanks again ...
If you are able to see folders in SD card 1 and 2 contents from the AFT app it will work. I drag and drop from folder as my files are only FLACs and DSFs that cannot be in iTunes. Probably you need to find their actually folder location (right click on your song in iTunes and select show location) in your hard disk to drag.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #2,585 of 4,190
Reading through the thread it seems generally positive reviews with the updated firmware aside from that 10 second bug. I am looking to replace a Ak Jr. I was looking at the Opus #3 but its a little out of my price range and I am not really looking to stream or blue-tooth. Just want a good sounding player with a touch screen, Balanced Out, able to play DSD and optical out. Was also looking at the Cayin i5 and Fiio X5-III but most reviews seem to say that Opus 1 has a better overall sound.

i own both the #3 and #1, owned the i5 and auditioned the X5 3G.

the #1 ticks your check boxes alright - there's something about its tuning that makes it sound clean and natural. its firmware is also very stable and it just works as advertised. i can say it's still a good buy even considering its age.

just additional FYI - there's a rumor that Cayin has already 'stopped' creating firmware updates for the i5 (very important to consider). as for the X5 3G, you might want to visit their thread - the last time i checked, they still have firmware issues. (i personally lost confidence with FiiO after owning their X7 - basically because of their firmware issues)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2,586 of 4,190
I still use my Opus#1. It is in my vehicle and I use it as a transport into the audio system. And I must say driving never sounded so good.
I currently have the FiiO x5iii, reviewed the Cayin i5, and the Opus. #1 I would agree that the Opus probably sounds the best of the three. I do really enjoy the FiiO but I too, am looking to purchase an Opus #1 for review purposes. To me, it provided the "cleanest" sounds, without all of the frills to worry about. Also, it is the most neutral of those three, and I do prefer a slightly warmer sound. So for me to want one myself, is a pretty good indication (please don't take this as bragging, it is an endorsement of the #1's qualities), that the critter is pretty good.

Cheers, and best of luck!

I was about to purchase but wanted to check with people who still use it. Thank you very much for the feedback!

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #2,587 of 4,190
i own both the #3 and #1, owned the i5 and auditioned the X5 3G.

the #1 ticks your check boxes alright - there's something about its tuning that makes it sound clean and natural. its firmware is also very stable and it just works as advertised. i can say it's still a good buy even considering its age.

just additional FYI - there's a rumor that Cayin has already 'stopped' creating firmware updates for the i5 (very important to consider). as for the X5 3G, you might want to visit their thread - the last time i checked, they still have firmware issues. (i personally lost confidence with FiiO after owning their X7 - basically because of their firmware issues)

I have heard the same about the Cayin I5 and in the forum for that player there are many people talking about selling theirs. I do like that there are still firmware releases for a year old player, with the recent price drop and the feedback here I will make this my next player. Thank you!

Jun 9, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #2,589 of 4,190
I still use my Opus#1. It is in my vehicle and I use it as a transport into the audio system. And I must say driving never sounded so good.

How is your setup in your car? Always pondered about putting some kind of DAP in my car but would probably be through aux cable.

Jun 9, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #2,591 of 4,190
I really like the Cayin i5's sound. It's so robust, and dangerously musical. But the Opus#1 is still my favorite in the mid-tier category. It wonderfully clean, clear, and resolving. It's a special device.

Jun 9, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #2,592 of 4,190
Android File Transfer is only needed when putting the files directly on the Opus. If using SD Cards then all you need is a reader.

AFT you need to open and create a folder(s) then drag and drop, even directly from iTunes. That's how I do it

Jun 10, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #2,593 of 4,190
Ok ... I'm bach. Thanks for the help so far. I have found and downloaded the Android transfer app. I figured out how to use it. BUT. Always a but. I'm trying to transfer .aif files from my MacBook Pro and it won't bring the metadata (I think that's correct) across and doesn't fall into Artists, Albums, etc. Just a bunch of song titles. I've looked at different apps and can't seem to find one that will do what I need. Is it not possible to do this ?? I find it hard to believe, but it seems I'm at a dead end. Really? It's not compatible with .aif ? The Fiio does it with ease. I thank every/anyone again that might be able to help me out with this one. Cheers!

Jun 10, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #2,594 of 4,190
The proper name for the metadata is tags. Do you have the tags artist, album, genre and album art embedded in the aiff files? You can verify what tags are in them using kid3. Also have you tried reinitializing the database?

I would recommend converting the files to flac using XLD to save space. Flac files are half the size of aiff files and sound the same.

Jun 10, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #2,595 of 4,190
The proper name for the metadata is tags. Do you have the tags artist, album, genre and album art embedded in the aiff files? You can verify what tags are in them using kid3. Also have you tried reinitializing the database?

I would recommend converting the files to flac using XLD to save space. Flac files are half the size of aiff files and sound the same.

Thank you ... I'll explain a little more about my own situation. I have been using my Fiio X5 for a couple of years and just got the #1. I have 2 x 128 gig SD cards basically full of aiff files. I have yet to slot these into the #1. I want to understand the #1 a little better before I do this as it 'might' be a little risky. The Opus folks have told me that these FAT32 formatted and loaded cards "usually" work without a problem. 'Usually' being the operative word. No guarantees. So I've been experimenting solely with the #1's onboard memory. On the 'cards' end of things, all the aiff files have artist, album, genre embedded, but only a small percentage of album art ... for some unknown reason. At least that is what shows up on my Fiio. I've never really cared enough about the artwork to bother investigating.
I just did a search for kid3 and I can likely figure out how to work with it. The main problem is ... I'm in L.A., and the only access I have to all my 200 odd gig worth of files (other than a small amount on my laptop) is on the cards ... in my Fiio. Everything else is in Ottawa, Canada, on my iMac ... so working with kid3, and converting all of them using XLD is likely not an option for quite a while.
I take it you are talking about initializing the database on the #1? (DOH !! :) ) I have one file on the #1 at the moment. I did the 'DB initialize' thing and nothing changed as far as the file goes.
This is the very first exposure I've had with Android. I live in an Apple ecosystem, which is wonderful (for me at least, when it comes to making things super easy for us 'not so tech literate' folks), but it's not without it's downside when it comes to trying to integrate with the outside world :)
I hope this helps you understand. Sorry for the 'book' here, but it's the only way I can explain what's going on. I really appreciate your help on this. I'm wondering if this whole Android issue is going to be a show stopper for me. The Fiio I/F is horrid, to say the least, but I know it inside/out now. It's definitely a 'first world problem' I know :)
Thanks again ... fred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back