The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 15, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #56,266 of 89,414
Any other tips from those of you who already swear by cable upgrades? I always struggle with the duration it takes to actually change the cable, and my auditory memory then fails me... i.e. I think I might detect a difference with something, but can't be certain.

I want to believe :)
I've always positioned it as an aesthetic thing more than anything else and any percieved sound difference to be a plus.

These days, I prefer to go with more industrial utilitarian looking cables. Less about the aesthetic, more about shielding and better jacket materials.Though shielding is even a smaller difference than just the cable material and structure.

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #56,267 of 89,414
4E1D7E63-1CDB-4453-8B9D-350C7147E2BE.jpegAmazon.co.jp fulfilled order for “Canalworks narrow bore gel filled, soft like cat paw” 🐱🐈‍⬛ ear tip today!
Can’t wait to fit it with U12t then compare with Eartunes Fidelity U tip. It may be better.. or worse😋

It only took 6 days for Amacon.co.jp to ship this to US. Though, international shipping fee was Takai!(High)
Did you do the express shipping that cost like a dollar more ? I've gotten a shipment from amazon.jp in 3 days.

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #56,268 of 89,414
Hi @mbirand
Yes, the SG Canjam Coolers did have a chance to demo the Brise Murakumo 2 AKA The Python! if i can chime in my over-simplified take on the cable, first of all, please note that this cable is CHONKY and HEAVY. Yes, you have to sit down to listen to it and you'd need a special case to cage that snake of a cable. Okay, the Brise Murakumo 2 was paired with my Subtonic STORM > RS8 + Brise Tsuranagi AMP.

First of all, This cable gives you a HUGE soundstage whilst keeping the SS of the transducer than you connect it to, so not adding any brightness or warmth, but it'll carry through the SS of your IEM. It also gives you a black background, making more details pop out at you more vividly and overall presentation is more holographic. Notes are thick, with great layering/separation of instruments. It also gives analog quality to the overall tone. All in all, it sounds Hi-Fi and grand! (if that makes any sense at all). Meanwhile the PW Orpheus is a more warm and thick sounding cable, thick lower end, with smooth treble, analog sound, not as big of soundstage and dark background as the murakumo, but we are talking perhaps 10% of a difference here. I personally preferred the python for my STORM, i remember @Kiats mentioning that the Python is the closest cable that can bring your IEM to a HP desktop level of sound, but I won't commit to it as its form factor is just quite ridiculous for me and the price is way out of my budget for a cable. That's all i can share with you unfortunately, hope it helps if at all!

P.S.
I'm calling forth my fellow cooler fam who spent quite some time with the Python @SteveK27 @HiFiHawaii808 @yaps66 @metaljem77 for better impressions!
🙋‍♀️ second this… in my mind, the other similarity between Orph and Python (I’m just going to use this nick as I like snakes) is their sheer power - that was apparent to me with certain iems like Blanc, the sounds and volume-wise seem to be nearer, compared to the imagined distance when paired with some of my other cables. But again, perhaps this is unicorn magic or the mushrooms we may or may not have consumed 🙆‍♀️

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #56,269 of 89,414
Intrigued by the Letshuoer Cadenza 12 (€2,499 - 1xDD / 11x BA)... especially with how the shells are similar to Svanar in that they are designed like a custom, and Svanar are the most comfortable IEM I've tried. Has anyone here tried them yet? Certainly a big step up price wise from the likes of the S12. Oh and they are titanium shells 😍

3KfamV9oVTa4Te.jpg

6N3U0y8Rd7YYYM.jpg

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #56,270 of 89,414
Lancelot cable on the way, I'm curious to discover if I can hear an upgrade with Camelot - I'm still a bit of a cable sceptic, but plan to have a diligent approach to testing stock vs Lancelot when it arrives. I've had certainly one, and possibly two scenarios where I've noted significant differences with cables, but I did wonder in the case of the first whether the stock cable was perhaps faulty... it was with Penon Serial, and switching from the stock cable to another (I can't recall now, possibly Athena) was night and day, a huge difference which did as I say leave me to wonder if there might have been an issue with the stock cable.

My plan when Lancelot arrives is to play the same track on stock cable about three times and set out a listening criteria for each listen - i.e. low, mids, and high - plus with a lens on detail, stage etc, then repeat with Lancelot. Any other tips from those of you who already swear by cable upgrades? I always struggle with the duration it takes to actually change the cable, and my auditory memory then fails me... i.e. I think I might detect a difference with something, but can't be certain.

I want to believe :)

Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 23.42.45.png
7dbbeb_4360025c538f48949e3140afccbbf2f1_mv2_21fc394b-c2be-454f-8eac-541bc8d69771_2308x1538.jpg
I usually pick a specific 20-30 second frame from a few songs that I use for a specific thing to listen for, treble, bass, bloat, soundstage, imaging, etc. then A/B that section a few times back and forth, it's better to keep the comparison area shorter and then expand it after you start forming some ideas. Plus, for me, those shorter frames keep you from getting that brain burn in bias that i think can affect A/Bing if done on too long of sections (also, the memory of it, like you mentioned).

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #56,271 of 89,414
Amazon.co.jp fulfilled order for “Canalworks narrow bore gel filled, soft like cat paw” 🐱🐈‍⬛ ear tip
Hype Fullfilled!!

Following is my quick impression about this eartip, “Canalworks narrow bore gel filled, soft like cat paw” 🐱🐈‍⬛ ear tip:

07289E32-A86F-4257-A8FB-16C7F4C088F3.jpeg
Audio chain: Fiio M15 3.5mm LO-Erua Orca 3.5 to 3.5 mini cable-Phatlab Phantasy II - Liquid links silver cable 4.4mm(Turii Ti stock cable)-U12t(Canalworks narrow bore gel tip)(M15 Apex module)

Let’s cut to the chase!!

Bass: Excellent. The gel helps to create a tight (yet comfortable) seal, which results in a well-structured bass with good quantity. The U12t gets good bass, yeah!

High: Very good. This set-up uses a silver-ly IEM cable and IC to emphasize the U12t's strong points, which are nicely toned high-mid and ethereal treble. The Canalworks gel tip does not attenuate this. Azla tips (Crystal < Xelastec < Max) generally attenuate treble energy a little bit IMO. If you are looking for a tip to tame strong high-mid and treble, give Azla Max or JVC Spiral Dot Pro (low-end emphasized, I heard) a try. These newer tips have good detail retrieval performances as well.

Mid: Very good. The sound is direct, not distorted/attenuated. The silicone material is soft and dense one, like the new Acoustune AEX07. Compared to the 64 Audio stock Spinfit CP 155, while a very good match for the U6t, I wanted better, more direct sound for the U12t, which has better detail retrieval performance. Due to the soft silicone material and silicone wall after the nozzle/bore, Spinfit eartips give a certain soft hue to the sound signature (CP 155 < W1) in my opinion. (Some could say this is a distortion and higher THD). Also, Spinfit has a more V/U shaped sound with a slightly recessed mid. I wished for a more direct sound and eartip fidelity U and Canalworks gel tip are providing it. Acoustune AEX07, while very direct, due to its short height, is not a good match for 64 audio phones (no wall after the bore -> too harsh sound). Eartip fidelity U gives very good performance with mid and high, but I could not readily recommend it due to fitting issues. With the soft silicone and oval shape, fitting (sealing in your ear) is difficult, and often the bass is insufficient.

I recommend the Canalworks narrow bore gel tip to everyone who owns a 64 Audio narrow bore phones. MUSK Buy!!!!🍈🐽 It’s Incredible!!🤨

It's the best item and probably even better than the famous Earrbond hybrid tip(now retired) - said to be a very good match for 64 Audio phones. Earrbond hybrid tip uses foam/silicone, but it can be uncomfortable and too thick inside your ear per spme review, like Symbio W(too stiff for me). —> Come to cat paw gel team🐾!

Does this gel feel like a cat's paw? - You cannot normally touch it, but if you insist, somehow you can feel it. It is a soft, marshmallow-like (but denser) whitish gel.

Canalworks also makes a wide-bore version - I have not tried that one.

3DAE2A5B-FE2F-4690-B5A1-AD45A26402E7.jpeg

Azla max-Canalworks gel- Spiral dot++ - Symbio W
(2nd row) Azla crystal- Spinfit CP155- Eartunes fidelity U

68A7E27E-E1A3-486F-80DE-0838506B11B3.jpeg4C013495-F0CA-4880-B090-2A682F97D391.jpeg
Comparison with Spinfit CP155.. I was concerned that Canaworks gel bore is too small, but it was just ok. It is about the same diameter as inner bore of U12t. Fit is very good- both to iem and to human ears.

577BD55E-D2A4-461E-BB42-2CD79DB1928E.jpeg
Red: “Wall” after the nozzle/bore

Music used:
High- IU Lilac album, Hirai Ken Kens bar, Yerin Baek Present album, Hikaru Utada - Eternally
Bass - Maroon 5 - Won't go home without You, Maggie Rogers - Alaska, Roo Panes - Little Giant
Mid and etc - Sara Bareilles - Uncharted (Live from Hollywood Bowl), IU Hi Spring Bye, Yo-Yo-Ma Unacompanied Cello Suite No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007: I. Prelude, Adel 30 Album, Lorde - Solar Power, Ukiyo- The Middle

My other favorite tip matching:
VE7-Spinfit CP100. Mest2,Mext-Azla xelastec.
Turii Ti- Azla Crystal
UM 3DT- Azla Max
Dark Sky- stock Faudio Vocal +
Kr5 - 64 audio True Fidelity foam tip(=Comply foam T500?)

Attachments

• C22797EE-D4C2-4ABD-A73B-1FEFACE572D9.jpeg
    C22797EE-D4C2-4ABD-A73B-1FEFACE572D9.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • D8AFF9EC-8501-4DE4-A89D-8322DCD1EB2D.jpeg
    D8AFF9EC-8501-4DE4-A89D-8322DCD1EB2D.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #56,272 of 89,414
IMG_0198.jpeg

Happy Sunday with Mentor. Wishing you guys a beautiful day!

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #56,274 of 89,414
Ugh those have got to be one of the nicest looking IEMs I have seen, period.
Sent yours back fort the new shell face?

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #56,276 of 89,414
IMG_0198.jpeg
I think this is one of the few rare occasions that this looks better than the marketing photos. Total fire, 🔥🔥 congrats man.

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #56,277 of 89,414
Did you do the express shipping that cost like a dollar more ? I've gotten a shipment from amazon.jp in 3 days.
I did not know such option existed.. Just used default service that they fed me..😜

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #56,278 of 89,414
IMG_0198.jpeg
Yeah, these are stunning 😍

Is this the new blue purple faceplate option or is this a faceplate you spec’d in? These look more nebulous than the stock pictures of the blue purple Mentors on Musictecks website.

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #56,280 of 89,414
Yeah, these are stunning 😍

Is this the new blue purple faceplate option or is this a faceplate you spec’d in? These look more nebulous than the stock pictures of the blue purple Mentors on Musictecks website.
I heard that it is different. Blue purple is another one. I believe UM is waiting new material to build nebula like mine. Mine is the last one from previous stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back