The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 15, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #56,282 of 90,713
Lancelot cable on the way, I'm curious to discover if I can hear an upgrade with Camelot - I'm still a bit of a cable sceptic, but plan to have a diligent approach to testing stock vs Lancelot when it arrives. I've had certainly one, and possibly two scenarios where I've noted significant differences with cables, but I did wonder in the case of the first whether the stock cable was perhaps faulty... it was with Penon Serial, and switching from the stock cable to another (I can't recall now, possibly Athena) was night and day, a huge difference which did as I say leave me to wonder if there might have been an issue with the stock cable.

My plan when Lancelot arrives is to play the same track on stock cable about three times and set out a listening criteria for each listen - i.e. low, mids, and high - plus with a lens on detail, stage etc, then repeat with Lancelot. Any other tips from those of you who already swear by cable upgrades? I always struggle with the duration it takes to actually change the cable, and my auditory memory then fails me... i.e. I think I might detect a difference with something, but can't be certain.

I want to believe :)

7dbbeb_4360025c538f48949e3140afccbbf2f1_mv2_21fc394b-c2be-454f-8eac-541bc8d69771_2308x1538.jpg
You most certainly will hear a difference as Lancelot is a great cable. Compared to the stock cable that comes with Camelot, you should immediately notice a more holographic soundstage and revealing treble.

Hope to see you be convinced and leave any lingering skepticism in your heart. I remember the first time hearing a significant difference in cables and having my mind blown. Never thought I'd end up as a "cable guy", but here I am cable rolling left and right as I love the option to fine-tune my iems.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #56,283 of 90,713
I had someone ask my opinion on a subject which I have no idea about as a reviewer. So, I'm curious, how is the resale value of the resent multi-kilobuck releases from chi-fi brands that crossed the threshold of $2k-$3k price tag (Tansio, Letshuoer, Penon, etc)?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #56,284 of 90,713
Lazy Sunday morning listening with the SP3K Cu with the FitEar Titan and Brise Yatono Ultimate 8W :)

IMG_6190.jpeg

Apr 15, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #56,285 of 90,713
It's amusing to me that I've heard none of the three components in the picture above, yet I have a strong feeling it sounds fantastic...

Apr 16, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #56,286 of 90,713
It's amusing to me that I've heard none of the three components in the picture above, yet I have a strong feeling it sounds fantastic...
The SP3K is certainly worth the price tag, having compared several different sources before deciding on it. I just wish I didn't "early adopt" and miss out on the CU limited (don't feel like selling/buying another). I've also no clue if there's any actual SQ or variance in sound between the 904 Steel and the CU edition, other than potential heat dissipation which I've never had an issue with.

Apr 16, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #56,287 of 90,713
I had someone ask my opinion on a subject which I have no idea about as a reviewer. So, I'm curious, how is the resale value of the resent multi-kilobuck releases from chi-fi brands that crossed the threshold of $2k-$3k price tag (Tansio, Letshuoer, Penon, etc)?
Resale value is tricky for unestablished brands, by established, I mean in that price range. I also have no idea about that I am pretty sure that you will have a hard time to sell them since they have a much smaller group of followers.

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #56,288 of 90,713
DSC01007.JPG
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tansio-mirai-rgb.26434/reviews#review-30603 your weekend reader about the RGB.

Tansio Mirai RGB and Effect Audios Code23 cable. Unbelievable combination. What was already crazy sounding gets an uplift. Grander stage, holographic imaging is more holographier! Uptick in texture from bass to treble. My set here will be heading over to a good friend for a few weeks and I am gonna miss listening to these things immensely. :disappointed:

More detailed comparisons with Impact please, since you’ve heard them both?

So, I'm curious, how is the resale value of the resent multi-kilobuck releases from chi-fi brands that crossed the threshold of $2k-$3k price tag (Tansio, Letshuoer, Penon, etc)?

I’d say it’s too early to tell. RGB is too new. I’ve seen all of one Impact in classifieds (recently listed and apparently still available) in the months since it’s been released, so the early adopters are either letting them go quietly elsewhere or still hanging on to them. I’ve no plans to part with mine. And while the Letshuoer wasn’t to my liking from a brief demo, I can’t say I’ve noticed those on the resale market either.

Apr 16, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #56,289 of 90,713
...My IEMs at the time, and until very recently, were used for sleeping with. Unfortunately the SE215's are not meant to deal with being rolled upon, and thus gave up.

And so ends that arc of the story. Next up: ER4XR, and the horrors of sleep
Day three: ER4XR, and the joys of sleep use with IEMs

The ER4XR was my first, and only arguably mid-fi purchase. Around 2020, when COVID-19 was snowballing, a store really wanted to get rid of these dead-stock ER4XR's. I bought them. I thought they were delightful, although rather uncomfortable. Just the right amount of bass in comparison to the much warmer SE-215-SPE, a bit more vocally forwards, and oh-so-smooth on the timbre. I didn't know about EQ at the time, so they weren't quite perfect, but I was very satisfied at the time...
... Until, of course, they broke.

See, something *terrible* happened. I had rolled over in my sleep, listening to... I believe it was Bedřich Smetana - Má vlast. It had only been about six months with the IEMs by this time, and they had held up well until this point, but I had managed to completely pull out the MMCX sockets and otherwise crush the casing on the ER4XR's. Absolutely unusable, unsalvageable, destroyed. I was dreading that moment, and I still do - There was no way at the time for me to buy another pair, nor replace it even at a discount.

A shame, really. Just like the next one, Moondrop Aria 2021.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #56,291 of 90,713
A fantastic experimental electronic album, incredibly captivating and immersive - I’d love to hear it in it’s original format as described below, but Denon D9200 doing a mighty fine job.

“Reflections on light and sound

This music was composed for SKALAR, an audio-visual kinetic art installation created by Christopher Bauder & Kangding Ray

The original composition is spatialised in 360° over a 12 channels sound system,

this stereo version has been mixed and mastered to convey a similar sense of space.”

Apr 16, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #56,292 of 90,713

The ER4XR was my first, and only arguably mid-fi purchase. Around 2020, when COVID-19 was snowballing, a store really wanted to get rid of these dead-stock ER4XR's. I bought them. I thought they were delightful, although rather uncomfortable. Just the right amount of bass in comparison to the much warmer SE-215-SPE, a bit more vocally forwards, and oh-so-smooth on the timbre. I didn't know about EQ at the time, so they weren't quite perfect, but I was very satisfied at the time...

See, something *terrible* happened. I had rolled over in my sleep, listening to... I believe it was Bedřich Smetana - Má vlast. It had only been about six months with the IEMs by this time, and they had held up well until this point, but I had managed to completely pull out the MMCX sockets and otherwise crush the casing on the ER4XR's. Absolutely unusable, unsalvageable, destroyed. I was dreading that moment, and I still do - There was no way at the time for me to buy another pair, nor replace it even at a discount.

oh boy I can't remember how many pairs of ER4's I destroyed in my time 😂

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 16, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #56,293 of 90,713

I also really like the ER4XR. But yeah, not at all good for sleeping with. Though previous Etymotics such as the ER-4P had even more of a right angle in the connector... so compared to those, the 4XR are comfortable sleepers lol.

But I am posting to say, if you miss them, you can pick up a pair of ER2XR for only around $100. And they are excellent, I kinda like them even more than the 4XR. The form factor is exactly the same, but the cord is different (I replaced mine).

Apr 16, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #56,294 of 90,713
P.S.
I'm calling forth my fellow cooler fam who spent quite some time with the Python @SteveK27 @HiFiHawaii808 @yaps66 @metaljem77 for better impressions!

yes it would be fantastic to get some more impressions on the “python” as there’s almost none, and it’s comes out as the rarest, craziest, perhaps the most expensive cable on the market for iems.

i already pulled the trigger on orphy as i find it a more secure investment. i know i will get great results from it. it’s well reviewed and established. python on the other hand is intriguing with no reviews and only a few impressions. could be a huge risk.

on the other hand, i start to think companies price their items at higher levels to grab the attention of people like me (knows well that expensive doesn’t mean better but can’t help not to be distracted with “what if”)

I just wish I didn't "early adopt" and miss out on the CU limited (don't feel like selling/buying another). I've also no clue if there's any actual SQ or variance in sound between the 904 Steel and the CU edition, other than potential heat dissipation which I've never had an issue with.

i got my sp3k ss recently and quite happy with it so far. i don’t have much experience with different daps other than n6ii r01 and n7. but i sincerely believe that all those special editions with different but beautiful materials are to create excitement therefore demand to make more sales. same goes for cars, pens, watches. i don’t believe there’s an audible difference. to me who says there is only wants to believe in it so bad that it becomes a placebo. even if there is, these editions aren’t put out to give you a different signature but a different skin.
don’t get me wrong, inside my head i feel the same way because Cu looks so cool. Yet i am trying to hold onto my senses and try to keep enjoying what i have in hand. If i keep on trying to chase the latest and the most of the most as i did, i will get burned in every way.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #56,295 of 90,713
What is the deal with sleeping with IEMs?
Never understood is myself, I am guessing its due to noise and problems sleeping?
Also how smart is it not let the ears breath while asleep?
Btw not attacking anyone, just curious here :beyersmile:

Also for something cheap that I can have in my ears while lying down is the small Moondrop Quarks DSP. Is dirt cheap so if they get destroyed its no problem.
Often use them at work as I it can get destroyed easily.

340469439_1278848339373455_5368309419684931679_n.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back