The Zishan dsd's corner
Feb 23, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #2,626 of 3,711
Well the new dsds is on sale one ali now, its funny that they still use the ak4495s test result instead of any other versions, I wonder how the others would score.
Screenshot_20200223_095834_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

The pictures of the motherboard looks like it will have the same high out put z as the last version, but maybe I am wrong...

Feb 25, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #2,627 of 3,711
I asked about the new dsds, one store was able to get back to me
Screenshot_20200225_175240.jpg

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #2,628 of 3,711
Trying to remember which one of y'all had measured whether there's DC offset on the L+, L-, R+, R- output pins of the AK4497 DAC chip?
How much DC voltage did you measure?
If it's a really small amount, then the 100uF / 16V coupling capacitors may not actually be required.

Mar 1, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #2,630 of 3,711
Seems there is a new firmware out for Zishan DSD AK 4497 (maybe so the other versions), 0.4K. I haven't managed to download it from the Baidu website though, and I didn't see the changelog. Did anyone have more luck downloading it? I'm curious about the changes. My shuffle still doesn't seem to work right most of the time..
What's wrong with your shuffle?

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #2,632 of 3,711
It doesn't shuffle right :D ! Folder shuffle often repeats the same song or just 2 or 3 songs, super random..
OK, yeah I noticed it does that often, hope it is fixed

Mar 2, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #2,633 of 3,711
Seems there is a new firmware out for Zishan DSD AK 4497 (maybe so the other versions), 0.4K. I haven't managed to download it from the Baidu website though, and I didn't see the changelog. Did anyone have more luck downloading it? I'm curious about the changes. My shuffle still doesn't seem to work right most of the time..
Someone posted the last FW version for download in player.ru "Zishan DSD" thread (1rst page).
There are 2 separated files, from the files names, I read one is for "Zishan DSD" and the other for the 2x ak4497 (dual dac) HW version.
I've read in the thread the volume has 100 steps now.
I didn't tried it and wont be able to try it because I don't have the player with me.

Quote from the FW log file:
"0.4K update log:
1. Modify to CUE seamless playback
2. Reduce the sound of clicks during playback
and many more

What else needs to be done:
1.Play screen long text scroll

and many more"

Mar 2, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #2,634 of 3,711
Screenshot_20200303_001027.jpg
can someone explain, based on this mapping, how many DAC activated upon using SE output? i might not good at reading chart like this, but i think only 1 DAC activated when using SE output? consedering to buy this if the dual DAC is activated in any output

Mar 2, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #2,635 of 3,711
To implement mono mode in both dacs, this is programed by software but also physically implemented in the PCB circuit and that can't be changed from mono to stereo afterward, you would need a different wired for 1 dac stereo, this means they always need to use both DACs in mono for balanced and unbalanced outputs.

In that diagram you posted, both DACs connect to all op275 inputs and then there's a line that connects all op275 outputs, I _think_ both op275 (4 internal opamps) outputs will be the 2.5mm balanced output.
The diagram is not complete or to be 100% accurate, for example in the diagram LO is missing, but box photos shows LO. Also the 9V path will feed all opamps, but the top op275 is missing power supply line.

According to the ak4497 datasheet, it' says mono mode has S/N=133 dB (2 DACs needed for stereo) and stereo mode S/N=131 dB (1 Dac only), dual DACs is only 2dB better, but by design the channels will have better separation. I think these datasheet measurements are only possible with better circuits and separated power supply lines (no space restricition).
It's difficult to form an opinion on something I don't have based on marketing and photos, someone will have to try/compare it and tell us how it sounds.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #2,636 of 3,711
To implement mono mode in both dacs, this is programed by software but also physically implemented in the PCB circuit and that can't be changed from mono to stereo afterward, you would need a different wired for 1 dac stereo, this means they always need to use both DACs in mono for balanced and unbalanced outputs.

In that diagram you posted, both DACs connect to all op275 inputs and then there's a line that connects all op275 outputs, I _think_ both op275 (4 internal opamps) outputs will be the 2.5mm balanced output.
The diagram is not complete or to be 100% accurate, for example in the diagram LO is missing, but box photos shows LO. Also the 9V path will feed all opamps, but the top op275 is missing power supply line.

According to the ak4497 datasheet, it' says mono mode has S/N=133 dB (2 DACs needed for stereo) and stereo mode S/N=131 dB (1 Dac only), dual DACs is only 2dB better, but by design the channels will have better separation. I think these datasheet measurements are only possible with better circuits and separated power supply lines (no space restricition).
It's difficult to form an opinion on something I don't have based on marketing and photos, someone will have to try/compare it and tell us how it sounds.
thanks for the explanation, i want to be more careful since my Shanling M5s only use 1 DAC on SE output

Mar 4, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #2,637 of 3,711
thanks for the explanation, i want to be more careful since my Shanling M5s only use 1 DAC on SE output
A separated circuit could be used to connect only one dac in stereo mode, but I don't see the reason why they would use only 1 DAC on SE output... could you point me to the post were they explain that? There's no difference in sound quality in SE from 1 dac to 2 dacs ? From marketing point of view is also strange, to advertise a dual dac and only use one dac for SE.

- EDIT -
I took a fast look at M5s thread and someone said it would sound the same if they use 2 dacs in mono or 1 stereo dac for the SE output.
Interesting, I didn't knew this, there are conclusions to be taken from Shanling choice.
I also noticed the M5s SE output has almost double playtime than the balanced output, so that's why they dit it.

From the Zishan diagram you posted, I think it will use both dacs for SE output, but I can't say for sure without looking at the PCB circuit connections, so you should ask the seller before buying.

Now I wonder if dual dac makes any difference in SE output and if someone that only uses SE output, should be buying a dual dac.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #2,638 of 3,711
Someone posted the last FW version for download in player.ru "Zishan DSD" thread (1rst page).
There are 2 separated files, from the files names, I read one is for "Zishan DSD" and the other for the 2x ak4497 (dual dac) HW version.
I've read in the thread the volume has 100 steps now.
I didn't tried it and wont be able to try it because I don't have the player with me.

Quote from the FW log file:
"0.4K update log:
1. Modify to CUE seamless playback
2. Reduce the sound of clicks during playback
and many more

What else needs to be done:
1.Play screen long text scroll

and many more"

Hi

Could you please send me the link to the new (k) firmware you saw? Can't find it anywhere and the Baidu website is a nightmare to use.

Thank you

D

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #2,640 of 3,711
I didn't try it, so I'll send a PM.

Thank you again. Just installed it on my DSD (4497). It now accepts my 256GB card without crashing!!. Yes! DSD files playing fine. Volume is indeed 100 steps.
Will have listen later with some single ended and balanced iems and report back of any sound changes.
D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back