The Zishan dsd's corner
Jan 8, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #2,596 of 3,711
DBaldock9 Thanks for the reply, the 16-Bit/48-KHz will be fine as I only need it for Amazon(HD)music.
Be aware that the DSD, when used as a USB DAC, the performance is limited to 16-Bit / 48-KHz - so it doesn't work as a High Res USB DAC.
But it will play High Res FLAC tracks (at least up to 16-Bit / 192-KHz) from the memory card.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #2,597 of 3,711
Sigh. I got a burson v5i to try and fit in my dsd. I can't get it to fit and I scratched the screen trying to do the work

Jan 18, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #2,599 of 3,711
Sigh. I got a burson v5i to try and fit in my dsd. I can't get it to fit and I scratched the screen trying to do the work

Sorry to hear about the screen.
Just for future reference - something I've memorized, to help protect my DSD screen -
Push the boards out of the case - with the screen first.
Push the boards into the case - with the screen last.

Jan 19, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #2,600 of 3,711
Sorry to hear about the screen.
Just for future reference - something I've memorized, to help protect my DSD screen -
Push the boards out of the case - with the screen first.
Push the boards into the case - with the screen last.
Thanks mate. Do you know if I can buy replacement screen?

Jan 19, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #2,601 of 3,711
Are you simply putting the v5i in the socket? Or did you follow dbaldocks directions?
The V5i-D might fit, if you remove the socket, and solder the op-amp directly to the circuit board --- and Make Sure that you Clip the Leads on the back of the board, so they won't poke into the battery, or you could have a fire.
Because this has been mentioned many times in this thread, the socket must be removed before the dsd will close.
Once you remove the opamp socket, all fits just about right but, be careful with the leads poking through the back, it can puncture the battery

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #2,602 of 3,711
Thanks mate. Do you know if I can buy replacement screen?

I can't remember anyone mentioning where Zishan buys the DSD screen. After the Chinese New Year's break, you might be able to get that info, from someone who has contacts in the industry.

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #2,604 of 3,711
IMG_7358.jpg IMG_7396.jpg
custom wood casing with V5i

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #2,605 of 3,711

custom wood casing with V5i
That looks awesome, but how did you get the 2 boards to attach to each other? The connection isn't long enough

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #2,606 of 3,711
That looks awesome, but how did you get the 2 boards to attach to each other? The connection isn't long enough
There are different ways, some remove the mail and female pins and sockets and replace with wires, some people remove the old pins and swap them out for longer ones, I simply pushed the pins a couple mm forward using a soldering iron, if you simply want to make the v5i fit, you can do what I did, but then the battery won't fit

Can cut out the back and then screw in, bolt on or glue a plate on the back, you only need about 2-3mm extra space for it to all fit

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #2,607 of 3,711
Does anyone have a picture, or a link explaining what feeds into the ak4495 pot?
I am afraid I have damaged something, but can't figure out what, I had removed the old pot, during the process I scratched the board but even though the copper is exposed, it is not cut
Now right side has no volume in the headphone out.....
Freaking out here, everything was going well but now one side isn't working, so I am looking to bypass the old pot pcb all together and use some leads straight to the pot

If anyone can post a pic or a link, you would be saving my ass

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #2,608 of 3,711
Does anyone have a picture, or a link explaining what feeds into the ak4495 pot?
I am afraid I have damaged something, but can't figure out what, I had removed the old pot, during the process I scratched the board but even though the copper is exposed, it is not cut
Now right side has no volume in the headphone out.....
Freaking out here, everything was going well but now one side isn't working, so I am looking to bypass the old pot pcb all together and use some leads straight to the pot

If anyone can post a pic or a link, you would be saving my ass
Can you go back to where you think the damage is and check point to point with a multimeter for continuity?

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #2,609 of 3,711
Bought the zishan t1. Previously the f.audio xs03. Both with ak4493x2 BO.
Still prefer the sound of the DSD in LO.
For balanced I prefer the f.audio over the T1, but this can change since the f.audio has no upgradeable oamp option.
T1 is difficult to manage compared with the DSD. Not only for the resistive screen´s quality but with so few options touch screen was totally inconvenient with stock firmware, but I guess those who will install rockbox will appreciate it a lot.
Curious about the evolution and modding of the new player though, in particular if it will be a ak4497x2 module in the future.

Sorry for quoting such an old post, but you have both the DSD and T1.

Even though you prefer the sound of the DSD over the T1, do you find that the T1 still sounds okay?

If the DSD could handle the below, I'd probably get it. Hence I am interested in the T1 because it can be rockboxed and therefore allow for this functionality:

I fall asleep using the sleep timer (45 minutes), but often wake up in the middle of the night and then I want to do the following:
(a) press a button;
(b) music resumes quickly (at the last position of the last track);
(c) goes into sleep mode after 45 minutes again

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #2,610 of 3,711
Can you go back to where you think the damage is and check point to point with a multimeter for continuity?
Don't have a real multi meter, what kind would I need?
How do I check that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back