The Zishan dsd's corner
Mar 4, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #2,641 of 3,711
Last night I tried flashing the new firmware on all 3 zishans, the 4495 and 4497 had no issues but the 4490 has un-flashed itself several times, this morning I cleaned the SD card, downloaded the firmware to it, flashed it, reflashed it, again and again, and now it seems to be sticking, so if any one has issues, format your card, put the necessary files and flash it 2 or 3 times, I noticed after it flashed, it deleted some files (on screen in red letters during flashing) the first time it only got to 40% then shut off, second time it flashed then deleted something and got to 70% the third time it got to 89% and the fourth time it completed both the flash and the deletion, now it seems to be sticking. So if at first it doesn't succeed, flash and flash again :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #2,643 of 3,711
Last night I tried flashing the new firmware on all 3 zishans, the 4495 and 4497 had no issues but the 4490 has un-flashed itself several times, this morning I cleaned the SD card, downloaded the firmware to it, flashed it, reflashed it, again and again, and now it seems to be sticking, so if any one has issues, format your card, put the necessary files and flash it 2 or 3 times, I noticed after it flashed, it deleted some files (on screen in red letters during flashing) the first time it only got to 40% then shut off, second time it flashed then deleted something and got to 70% the third time it got to 89% and the fourth time it completed both the flash and the deletion, now it seems to be sticking. So if at first it doesn't succeed, flash and flash again :wink:
Please could I have a link to the new zishan firmware ( for single ak4497)

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #2,644 of 3,711
Mar 8, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #2,646 of 3,711
@Merlin-PT and @Themilkman46290 - I've got a question about the protection circuit on the DSD:
Doesn't the relay, near the Single-Ended Output - short the output to GND, and protect the earphones from ampifier turn-on / turn-off spikes?
If so, then I suppose the large series output capacitors are probably necessary, to protect the amplifying circuit from the DC short to GND.

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #2,648 of 3,711
Trying to remember which one of y'all had measured whether there's DC offset on the L+, L-, R+, R- output pins of the AK4497 DAC chip?
How much DC voltage did you measure?
If it's a really small amount, then the 100uF / 16V coupling capacitors may not actually be required.
From the top of my head, I remember measuring 2.5V DC at the legs of each one of the four 100uF DC blocking capacitors.
This 2.5V DC is at the ak4497 output by design and in datasheet they block it with those capacitors.
I didn't measure this part and my understanding is limited so I could be wrong here:
If this DC voltage if not blocked it will be amplified by 2x, to +5 and -5 volts by the LPF opamps.
I think this +5V and -5V DC voltage will be present at the each channel (L+-, R+-) of the balanced output.
I also think being +5 and -5 at each driver pad it would cancel out (I didn't test this) but there is more to consider.
The opamp resistors aren't an exact match for all channels, so it wont bet exactly |5V| at each channels.
I'm thinking this mismatch will produce a DC displacement in the headphone drivers (if we remove the caps), the drivers wont be at their resting position.

On a side note, the dual ak4497mono circuit in the datasheet also uses this capacitors (8 of them for the 2 dacs in mono mode), but I don't see them in the DSDS dual ak PCB photo, I think they didn't fit the space and they simple removed them.

Mar 9, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #2,649 of 3,711
A separated circuit could be used to connect only one dac in stereo mode, but I don't see the reason why they would use only 1 DAC on SE output... could you point me to the post were they explain that? There's no difference in sound quality in SE from 1 dac to 2 dacs ? From marketing point of view is also strange, to advertise a dual dac and only use one dac for SE.

- EDIT -
I took a fast look at M5s thread and someone said it would sound the same if they use 2 dacs in mono or 1 stereo dac for the SE output.
Interesting, I didn't knew this, there are conclusions to be taken from Shanling choice.
I also noticed the M5s SE output has almost double playtime than the balanced output, so that's why they dit it.

From the Zishan diagram you posted, I think it will use both dacs for SE output, but I can't say for sure without looking at the PCB circuit connections, so you should ask the seller before buying.

Now I wonder if dual dac makes any difference in SE output and if someone that only uses SE output, should be buying a dual dac.
unrelated but shanling M6 (newer gen) uses both dac in any output. i think they somehow hold their innovation for further product. The sound on M5s is significanly different when comparing SE and balance, thats why the dual DAC zishan DSD should sound way better

Mar 10, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #2,650 of 3,711
I find it hard to believe that they (Sanling M5s) made a dual DAC and use only one dac in SE output to hold for a higher model, maybe they did it for the almost double battery life.
They already had both dacs inside, they could use both for SE if they wanted, that would be the easy decision.
I can only imagine the marketing nightmare to release a dual dac and use only 1 dac for SE output.

Anyway I never heard a dual dac in a dap, so I look forward to read about others experience in dual vs single ak4497 zishans.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #2,652 of 3,711
The ak4499 looks interesting...... Wonder how it sounds.

Mar 13, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #2,653 of 3,711
I just placed order on DSDs 4499. But Not sure when I will get the product.

Will make sure to review impression as soon as getting it.

Mar 13, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #2,654 of 3,711
I just placed order on DSDs 4499. But Not sure when I will get the product.

Will make sure to review impression as soon as getting it.
We are all curious to know how it compares to the other versions

Mar 13, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #2,655 of 3,711
Also ordered the 4499 one from AE for $238 after coupons/discounts. Order information two hours laters says it's been shipped with a tracking number for Singapore Post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back