The Zishan dsd's corner
Mar 13, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #2,656 of 3,711
We are all curious to know how it compares to the other versions

I dont have any other version. So I cant compare. I just bought because it is cheap and it gets AK4499. :)

Mar 16, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #2,657 of 3,711
So it seems the ak4499 versions 2.5mm is a line out not meant for headphones but for amplifier, and it seems to overheat, Screenshot_20200316_215844_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg. wonder why zishan didn't just use a bigger case, -19990196491401788349.jpg
But I am curious output the output of the 3.5mm I noticed it uses the buf next to the 3.5mm, hopefully has the same output impedance of the ak4490 on ak4495 versions
Hope someone can compare it to the other versions

Mar 16, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #2,658 of 3,711
So it seems the ak4499 versions 2.5mm is a line out not meant for headphones but for amplifier, and it seems to overheat, . wonder why zishan didn't just use a bigger case,
But I am curious output the output of the 3.5mm I noticed it uses the buf next to the 3.5mm, hopefully has the same output impedance of the ak4490 on ak4495 versions
Hope someone can compare it to the other versions

The AD8620 op-amps in the LPF should be able to drive Headphones.
Edited to add -
Also, from looking more closely at the photo of the analog board - it looks like the output of the MUSES02 goes to the large series capacitors, then through series resistors, to the 3.5mm headphone jack.
Another Edit -
The 2x BUF634 must be driving either the 2.5mm headphone jack, or the 3.5mm line output jack - since they are single-channel devices - so only two channels being buffered.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #2,660 of 3,711
I just canceled the 4499 order. maybe I should go with 4497 instead due to 2.5 mm.
Maybe it's better to ask the seller before buying, they have both of them on Alliexpress (ak4497/99) maybe they are similar

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #2,661 of 3,711
We don't know what is the Zishan DSDs ak4499 2.5mm impedance nor if it has gain (sound volume).

I looked at ak4499 datasheet pictures (didn't read any of it) and they use a I-V conversion circuit in the datasheet, followed by a passive LPF.
I can't guess what zishan did from the posted photo, could be the same as the datasheet and that ak4499 datasheet circuit part is very different from ak4497 2.5mm circuit.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #2,662 of 3,711
We don't know what is the Zishan DSDs ak4499 2.5mm impedance nor if it has gain (sound volume).

I looked at ak4499 datasheet pictures (didn't read any of it) and they use a I-V conversion circuit in the datasheet, followed by a passive LPF.
I can't guess what zishan did from the posted photo, could be the same as the datasheet and that ak4499 datasheet circuit part is very different from ak4497 2.5mm circuit.
Well I asked about the headphone out, they said on the ak4499 its also 10 ohms, the 2.5mm they said is higher because not for headphones
I can try to ask again but I just told I wouldn't buy yet, they offered a discount

But I think I will wait, but atleast now we know, neither of the new zishans will work well with balanced armature iems, they are pretty much just for dynamic drivers

I think we could all start asking instead of speculating, guessing....
A bit disappointed, was hoping for something like the ak4490 or 4495 versions

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #2,663 of 3,711
I'm not going to buy this, so I contributed the way I could.
Previous post is an educated guess, AK4499 is a current output DAC, the datasheet uses a I-V (current to voltage) conversion circuit (4xdual opamps), followed by a passive LPF (some resistors and smd caps). Seller also says zishan uses a passive LPF (meaning only passive components), no amplification in LFP. In Zishan photos I can see where these components blocks are placed, same as the datasheet circuit, but I can't see the PCB circuit tracks, so I can't say for sure what I can't see. If I had the player I could. I use a multimeter (continuity test) for the hidden tracks.

Anyway I get what you saying, someone interested in buying should ask the seller specific information.
Unfortunately the seller already writes in the advertising that the balanced 2.5 output LPF is passive (LPF has no amplification), it has increased impedance and that an external amp must be connected for it to be used.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #2,664 of 3,711
I'm not going to buy this, so I contributed the way I could.
Previous post is an educated guess, AK4499 is a current output DAC, the datasheet uses a I-V (current to voltage) conversion circuit (4xdual opamps), followed by a passive LPF (some resistors and smd caps). Seller also says zishan uses a passive LPF (meaning only passive components), no amplification in LFP. In Zishan photos I can see where these components blocks are placed, same as the datasheet circuit, but I can't see the PCB circuit tracks, so I can't say for sure what I can't see. If I had the player I could. I use a multimeter (continuity test) for the hidden tracks.

Anyway I get what you saying, someone interested in buying should ask the seller specific information.
Unfortunately the seller already writes in the advertising that the balanced 2.5 output LPF is passive (LPF has no amplification), it has increased impedance and that the 2.5 output needs an external amp.

(Emphasis added)
This is an unbelievably poor design decision, for a portable audio device!!!
And, I'm wondering if they can suggest any portable external headphone amps that have a balanced input?
I've got an older iBasso PB2 (now discontinued), but its balanced input is on an Hirose 6-pin connector, so a custom adapter cable is required.

Mar 20, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #2,665 of 3,711
(Emphasis added)
And, I'm wondering if they can suggest any portable external headphone amps that have a balanced input?
I've got an older iBasso PB2 (now discontinued), but its balanced input is on an Hirose 6-pin connector, so a custom adapter cable is required.
Well, I might pass on this one, still don't get why they went this route, I was really looking forward to this, but after owning the first 3 versions of the dsd, I don't think they will be able to top the ak4495 or ak4490.

Guess I will wait till atleast the end of summer, see if there is much point in ubgrading or maybe it will be better to try a different company

Mar 20, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #2,666 of 3,711
(Emphasis added)

At least Ifi XCan and Oriolus Ba300s are portable amps with balanced input. Probably some others as well.
It's also probably better to have the output there than not have it at all :gs1000smile: even if the output itself matters less than rest of the signal path.

Mar 20, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #2,667 of 3,711
I just canceled the 4499 order. maybe I should go with 4497 instead due to 2.5 mm.

4497 will almost certainly have higher noise and distortion. And the benefits of having balanced out aren't always certain.

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #2,668 of 3,711
I already wasn't going to buy an ak4499 portable DAP before this zishan came out, my decision was about price, ~200eur is too expensive for me for a space, battery and budget circuit compromises. An expensive high end ak4499 DAP no budget limit design will also have space compromises and those prices are out of my league.
Still I applaud the availability and boldness of releasing a high end (desktop) dac in a budget portable dap. If it sounds good this could be interesting for someone with a lot of unbalanced earbuds and only a few balanced ones.
I'm not looking to buy anything now, but the question I would ask, is what sound quality (and autonomy) can be bought for ~200eur and how this model is positioned among others.

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #2,669 of 3,711
The aforementioned Ifi XCan seems to be on sale for £129 by Analogue Seduction on Amazon UK. Well at least I won't be spending a lot of money on traveling in the next few weeks. :mask:

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #2,670 of 3,711
Well I asked about the headphone out, they said on the ak4499 its also 10 ohms, the 2.5mm they said is higher because not for headphones
I can try to ask again but I just told I wouldn't buy yet, they offered a discount

But I think I will wait, but atleast now we know, neither of the new zishans will work well with balanced armature iems, they are pretty much just for dynamic drivers

I think we could all start asking instead of speculating, guessing....
A bit disappointed, was hoping for something like the ak4490 or 4495 versions
to be honest im satisfied with my modded ak4497 dsd, yes the balanced suck and ive given up on owning balanced cable for my IEM. But the SE Make up for it and i'd pick my dsd any time of the day compared to most mid-high DAP

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back