The Zishan dsd's corner
Aug 5, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #3,542 of 3,711
Ok, thanks, interesting pictures. The V6 vivid does sound good, don't know about battery drain yet, looked normal when I tried it yesterday.

When I go for a permanent solution to fit the V6 the DSD will be less easy to cary around, but I have two DSD's so I can manage that. I think I will try first to solder 8 wires on small metal pins, like a shorten needle, or a bend paper-clip, cut to the right lenght, and put in the socket. The longer wires will compromise the signal path so this solution could be counter productive.

I have some old opamps I can try first, if it works, I change them for the V6.

Other solution is to make a new casing for the DSD in a metal or wooden box, two circuit boards next to each other, and connect the two boards with extension wires. I don't know about ground, do I need to ground the boards somewhere?

Aug 5, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #3,544 of 3,711
I made extension wires with 8 pins from the bottom of the Burson extension device. I had to take out the pins from the black plastic piece, and cut to pins really short, and solder a wire on top of them.

Triple checked everything, and tried it first with an old opamp. Everything is working fine. But I admit it looks a bit ugly with the tape and the open bottom. Because I had bend the Burson extension wires for my first initial test, I had to solder more than I had planned, some wires got loose from the top socket.

This is the DSD with CS DAC. Now I wonder what the V6 vivid will do with the ESS version DSD. I will change it later. This new setup makes opamp rolling really easy. I have put the V6 on the back of the DSD with tape. I can test a V5-i too, and Muses 02, 01, 8920.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #3,545 of 3,711
@raabje this is really nice prototype but i must say DSDs need other more important modifications to sounds good.
Changing op amp for high end don't change much, i was there as well with my Burson V6 Classic.
I stay with V5i as close enough to V6 and mods to fit in original housing.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #3,546 of 3,711
Thanks! And yes, I understand, with only opamp rolling you will hit a ceiling pretty soon. The stock DSD will tresshold or throttle the performance of the high end opamps.

But I don´t lik to solder that much, and I don´t understand the more advanced modifications of the DSD. Burson offered a V6 for free, so in my case there is no real loss.

One more thing, I did not make all wires the same exact length. I thought about this too late. I am not sure about the consequence, will the opamp have some internal latency because of this? I guess with the the speed of light it will be marginal.

Aug 11, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #3,548 of 3,711
I cannot shake the impression that once a folder of FLAC files refuse to play in sequence then the exact path to these files is critical. I say this because overwriting these FLAC files in situ does not cure this problem. Perhaps the Zishan’s cache won’t forgive and forget?

My recipe is this: rename the top level folder and use Roadkill’s Unstoppable Copier to copy the contents of the original top level folder to the newly created top level folder: e.g. PinkFloyd -> PinkFloyd-fixed (this utility also does integrity checking).

Unfortunately any FLAC files with sync problems will probably have to be regenerated from source; although I see there’s a utility called FLAC file recovery, but since I had very few corrupt FLAC files and their source readily available, I didn’t try using it. But if you’re desperate...?

Finally, I deleted the original top level folders, and since I had renamed the new top level folders to sort to the same alphabetic position (e.g. LedZeppelin -> LedZeppelin-fixed) I could use FAT Sorter to position them where the original folders had been.

Gosh, what a palaver, considering no other player I own has this play sequence problem!

I did notice that VLC Media Player also exhibits the same issues. So it’s a good test of the ’sequential viability’ of the copied FLAC files.

If this wasn’t such an outstandingly good sounding player at a beer budget price I think I’d have thrown it into the corner together with handfuls of the hair I’d torn out!!! 😤

I hope you succeed in sorting (no pun intended) your issues.

Do let me know if you stumble across any other observations about this problem.
Well, I found what the problem was with my Zishan DSD AK4497EQ (0.5d).

The player wouldn’t go to next track with the first and second folder of FLAC files (9/10 for alliteration?) and sometimes it would jump to another track of a different folder of FLAC files!

I deleted a tranche of folders at the end of my collection and, hey presto, the problem went away.

So it appears that the player cannot cope with somewhere in the region of 3060 files (or 90 something Gb of data - it’s a 128Gb sd card).

I’ll have to add the folders back piecemeal and see the max it can handle.

At last, an answer!

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #3,549 of 3,711
Well, I found what the problem was with my Zishan DSD AK4497EQ (0.5d).

The player wouldn’t go to next track with the first and second folder of FLAC files (9/10 for alliteration?) and sometimes it would jump to another track of a different folder of FLAC files!

I deleted a tranche of folders at the end of my collection and, hey presto, the problem went away.

So it appears that the player cannot cope with somewhere in the region of 3060 files (or 90 something Gb of data - it’s a 128Gb sd card).

I’ll have to add the folders back piecemeal and see the max it can handle.

At last, an answer!
It’s NOT the number of files or Gb of data. The Zishan can only handle about 40 top level folders!!!

With 43 folders (43 composers) I get the track repeating and jumping problem.

When I delete the last 6 composer folders (Vaughan Williams to Weinberg) the problem goes away.

So I created a new top level folder V-W and moved the last 6 folders into that folder - and the problem again went away!

So one can divide ALL the folders into higher folders, and as long as you have less than 40 such collective folders you’ll be alright!!!!

Who knew?!?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #3,550 of 3,711
So yes, all the individual composer folders play nicely.

However now I have a problem with the collection of composers folder!!!! Grrrrr...

Drilling down into one of the composer folders in the composer collection folder to any 5th level folder, e.g.

/A - B/Arnold/Symphonies/No. 1/Handley

and selecting the first movement, then clicking forward a track, the player jumps to the first track on the device.

But it plays ok through folders at the 4th level or above.

This is intolerable 😱

I don’t think the Zishan can handle deeply nested folder structures.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #3,551 of 3,711
BUF634 instead of transistors...

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20210822092152.jpg
    IMG20210822092152.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20210823104150.jpg
    IMG20210823104150.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20210823104322.jpg
    IMG20210823104322.jpg
    954.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20210823104439.jpg
    IMG20210823104439.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 22, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #3,552 of 3,711
@maxxkur wonderfull project Im sure BUF634 is way better than stock transistors farm.
How about additional capacitors on DAC area?
I try to find good solution in evaluation board of ES9038 but I see 1uF and 10uF as recommended ones.
In my Z4 I have problems with such big capacitors as 220uF.
I will find solution but of it's worth?

Aug 22, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #3,553 of 3,711
@maxxkur wonderfull project Im sure BUF634 is way better than stock transistors farm.
How about additional capacitors on DAC area?
I try to find good solution in evaluation board of ES9038 but I see 1uF and 10uF as recommended ones.
In my Z4 I have problems with such big capacitors as 220uF.
I will find solution but of it's worth?
I have not got any problems with big capacitors ( 4x220uF Low ESR tantalum-polymer ) in AVCC_R/AVCC_L. Where is not any recommendation in ES9038 datasheet about these caps value. But in many stationary devices these capacitors are 100uF and above. But don't forget about 0.1uF together with 220uF.

Attachments

• IMG_20210721_114835.jpg
    IMG_20210721_114835.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #3,554 of 3,711
I have not got any problems with big capacitors ( 4x220uF Low ESR tantalum-polymer ) in AVCC_R/AVCC_L. Where is not any recommendation in ES9038 datasheet about these caps value. But in many stationary devices these capacitors are 100uF and above. But don't forget about 0.1uF together with 220uF.
Thank you very much. I was added 0.1uF C0G 0805 , 47uF X5R 16V 0805 and 100uF 1206 X7R.

Instead of tantalum 220uF who's don't have and probably won't fit in Z4 I added 147uF of MLCC
I think sounds smoother now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back