The Y-Split Thread
Mar 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #33 of 54
I believe the piece that's meant to enclose a split or other types of splices are referred to as a "boot".  You can find generic boots on a lot of bulk component stores online (if not a local store) like Element14 or DigiKey (Canada)

You'd find the one you need depending on how many wires you want going in and coming out, and the wire diameter.  Should make for a super clean and convenient job!
Something like this (y-split/1->2 boot, starting inner diameter 13mm, shrinks down to 6mm)

Nothing like those fancy shells from Viablue or Acrolink though, hot damn.  I guess you'd want to use one of these heatshrink boots inside a casing like that, actually... I don't know if the boots are just heatshrink or if they also actually include a hard shell to protect the splice inside!

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #34 of 54
Here's a ViaBlue Y-split.

Underneath the Viablue piece there is a larger diameter adhesive heat shrink that holds the sleeving and outgoing two cables in place. The viablue then slides down and makes it look nice and so forth. The holes in the Viablue are quite large and lends itself towards builds with larger cable diameter (such as this one). If you have a build with thin wires it's going to be hard to make it work well.

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #35 of 54
  Here's a ViaBlue Y-split.

Underneath the Viablue piece there is a larger diameter adhesive heat shrink that holds the sleeving and outgoing two cables in place. The viablue then slides down and makes it look nice and so forth. The holes in the Viablue are quite large and lends itself towards builds with larger cable diameter (such as this one). If you have a build with thin wires it's going to be hard to make it work well.

What ViaBlue splitter model is that?

May 21, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #37 of 54
Looking for something like this:

Simple but functional. Where can I find something similar?

http://www.qables.com/shop/diy-parts-wire-connectors/y-splitter-devices

May 22, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #38 of 54

Thanks!

That pregnant little splitter may work, but there's not much space in there for the cross-soldering that's necessary for this particular anode/cathode tube connection.

I welcome more suggestions!

May 22, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #39 of 54
MDR30

Maybe this could work for you. Haven't seen the inside though.

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=127

You could also look at one of the larger Viablue splits
http://www.viablue.de/com/splitter.shtml

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #41 of 54

Thanks!

That pregnant little splitter may work, but there's not much space in there for the cross-soldering that's necessary for this particular anode/cathode tube connection.

I welcome more suggestions!

I've used these Qable y-splitters and you're correct, it's slightly challenging to cross solder and fit all the cables into the plastic unit. So much so that I had to superglue it permanently shut... but it has lasted for 8+ years now and it's still my go-to cable.

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #42 of 54
Just starting out making my own cables, and yea bought a few y splitters from qables, double helix and lunashops but i reckon by far the most simple and impressive of the lot is the cable pants. such a neat idea

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #43 of 54
Dec 11, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #44 of 54
I'm currently using sharpie/highlighter caps, just did one for a friend of mine's daughter who ripped out her gray/pink headphone's cabling:

EDIT: I put waay too much shrink tubing on the techflex/cables going to each driver, this would have looked cleaner if you would only see the techflex-covered wires coming out of the "barrel".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back