The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jan 30, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #4,142 of 5,721
Quote:
THS4032 is a single channel op amp, I mean there must be two op amps on the adapter (one on the adapter and one under the adapter).
Is this right one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-TI-THS4032CD-THS4032-ON-DIP-ADAPTER-/221070742557?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3378d7d41d

Can u please inform me when you see if stv014 has the results and tell me if useful or not.
Ok thanks a lot!

No its a dual channel, but that link is correct, I bough mine from them.
Quote:
 Have anyone tried out MUSES op amps?

Nope, but Asus sells a special edition Essence One with them. soooo...

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #4,143 of 5,721
Quote:
No its a dual channel, but that link is correct, I bough mine from them.
Nope, but Asus sells a special edition Essence One with them. soooo...

OK thank you. For I/V i will bay THS4032CD.
But for RCA buffer?????? Can i put AD797BR in buffer?
My speakers are junk BOSE Companion 2.

I think ASUS will make special edition for xonar essence stx/st too.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #4,144 of 5,721
Quote:
OK thank you. For I/V i will bay THS4032CD.
But for RCA buffer?????? Can i put AD797BR in buffer?
My speakers are junk BOSE Companion 2.

I think ASUS will make special edition for xonar essence stx/st too.

Probably not, you may aswell buy the Muses out of your own - works out the same. 
mmmm I actually can't help there.... I was busy testing buffers before my pc got taken out by lightening...... 
the AD797BR should work well - IF it doesn't oscillate, some members have got it to oscilate, and some have got it stable, I think the other opamps make a big difference, I think mine were oscillating in the I/V section. 

One thing is for sure - 3 THS4032 is just a bit too smooth. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #4,145 of 5,721
Quote:
Probably not, you may aswell buy the Muses out of your own - works out the same. 
mmmm I actually can't help there.... I was busy testing buffers before my pc got taken out by lightening...... 
the AD797BR should work well - IF it doesn't oscillate, some members have got it to oscilate, and some have got it stable, I think the other opamps make a big difference, I think mine were oscillating in the I/V section. 

ok thanks a lot!
I'm sorry that the lighting harmed your pc...i had a similar accident except for it ruined only my LAN port, the board survived haha

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #4,146 of 5,721
Quote:

How do you think that an LME 49860 would work out in the buffer with a pair of THS4032s?

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #4,147 of 5,721
I have had my STX for about a month now, I have had nothing but problems.

The STX is in a windows 7 pc which has been very stable, I use the STX as an SPDIF passthrough via coax to a Yulong D100 II and onwards to MD5000DE/Q701/SR60i/Whatever. 

I love the ability to use the STX software for Dolby and for gaming and movies. 

Ever since that soundcard went in I average about 4-8 BSOD's a day. Always when a sound is played, could be a windows volume ding, a song played or a movie starting. I have tried several versions of drivers and even 3rd party drivers.

No issues when my E17 or D100 is used via USB as the sound device.

I may have read that my video card (HD5870) has an IRQ compatibility issue with the STX and I do see IRQ errors in allot of the BSOD's. Id rather not dump $300 for a new videocard :frowning2:

Has anyone here had these issues? I do not wan't to get rid of it but it is driving me mad.

I would like to keep it so I can use it with my monitor speakers as well, I noticed with the Yulong that when the RCA outs at the back were plugged into my speakers (BX5a's which have their own power supplies) there was noticeable noise on the headphone outs.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #4,148 of 5,721
Quote:
ok thanks a lot!
I'm sorry that the lighting harmed your pc...i had a similar accident except for it ruined only my LAN port, the board survived haha

how long ago? thats what happened to mine, 1 months later it started freezing, 2 months later it was freezing in bios. Apparently this is what generally happens. and because its LGA1366 its out of production and JUST out of warranty - insurance claim, entire new PC en route.
Quote:
How do you think that an LME 49860 would work out in the buffer with a pair of THS4032s?

I hate that chip. its a nice buffer if you hate having bass and don't care for wonky upper mids.

Quote:
I have had my STX for about a month now, I have had nothing but problems.

The STX is in a windows 7 pc which has been very stable, I use the STX as an SPDIF passthrough via coax to a Yulong D100 II and onwards to MD5000DE/Q701/SR60i/Whatever. 

I love the ability to use the STX software for Dolby and for gaming and movies. 

Ever since that soundcard went in I average about 4-8 BSOD's a day. Always when a sound is played, could be a windows volume ding, a song played or a movie starting. I have tried several versions of drivers and even 3rd party drivers.

No issues when my E17 or D100 is used via USB as the sound device.

I may have read that my video card (HD5870) has an IRQ compatibility issue with the STX and I do see IRQ errors in allot of the BSOD's. Id rather not dump $300 for a new videocard :frowning2:

Has anyone here had these issues? I do not wan't to get rid of it but it is driving me mad.

I would like to keep it so I can use it with my monitor speakers as well, I noticed with the Yulong that when the RCA outs at the back were plugged into my speakers (BX5a's which have their own power supplies) there was noticeable noise on the headphone outs.

Oh shiiiiit, I think uninstall both, use Driver Sweeper, clean the crap out of your pc, GFX back in, Asus back in - directly install unidrivers, no standard asus ones.

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #4,149 of 5,721
Quote:

This problem appears to be related to grounding as in ground loop. The speakers are grounded & so is the computer, if the ground path is different as in different plug in out the wall ground loops will form & cause hum & other computer related noises to become audible.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #4,151 of 5,721
Hey, I am about maybe order an Asus Xonar Essence One, already have a stx but I cant be bothered anymore as about to get my PC behind a wall to get rid of noise and to have it cleaer int he living room.. If I use a spdif cable out from my stx and into the essence one can I get the dolby headphone feature?

As for price it is ridicilous as the Xonar Essence One cost the same as magni+modi/o2+odac and much more here  in norway, since it cost so much to Ship/Customs/VAT.  some way Asus can get there stuff into Norway a cheap way. Anyone who would advice something else? think it is hard to top it due to the price.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #4,152 of 5,721
Hey there,

I've got the Essence Stx for about a month now and would like to get some opinions from some more experienced users concerning sound quality. I use foobar to play music from my computer. And my setup when i don't use my speakers is: matrix m-stage -> AKG Q701.

1) From what I have read following options are preferred by many people here: Sox resampler (or PPHS in ultra mode) resampling to 48 or 96 in foobar, adjust the resampling of Stx, and use wasapi (event). I just don't get how upsampling is improving the sound quality when there are no additional informations in 44.1 khz audio files?! Also I heard about many people getting some kind of bug with 24bit and 44khz? I didn't notice anything like that so far.. Would be nice to hear your opinion on that!

2) What buffer length do you use and does shorter buffer length really increase sound quality to some extend?

3) Since using dolby headphone is no option when using the regular line-out -> m-stage -> q701: What options would you recommend using for first person games?
I read about 8ch and 7.1 virtual speaker activated..

4) What driver are you using? Standard Asus or Uni Xonar? Heard good and bad things about the Unified Xonar Drivers... Is it improving the sound?

Thanks a lot and Cheers!

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #4,153 of 5,721
Anyone has a suggestion which driver I should use? 
On Asus' website there is a version 7.12.8.1794 released on 2011/06/27 and there is also BETA 7.12.8.17731 bit-perfect ASIO driver released on 2010/05/05.

I was wondering if anyone knows if lates version 7.12.8.1794 released on 2011/06/27 is also ASIO bit perfect driver?

Or should I get some other driver?

Thanks

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #4,155 of 5,721
Quote:
Anyone has a suggestion which driver I should use? 
On Asus' website there is a version 7.12.8.1794 released on 2011/06/27 and there is also BETA 7.12.8.17731 bit-perfect ASIO driver released on 2010/05/05.

I was wondering if anyone knows if lates version 7.12.8.1794 released on 2011/06/27 is also ASIO bit perfect driver?

Or should I get some other driver?

Thanks

The aftermarket has a better driver/application package than Asus®, in the form of the Unified XONAR® Software by Brainbit, Release 1.53 (C-Media® CMI8788 Driver 7.12.8.1796); I've been using it regularly under Microsoft® Windows® 7.0.8001 and, except for the once-in-a-blue-moon 6 kHz howl for which Microsoft® has a FIX COMMITTED (see "Xonar Essense stx Random LOUD high-pitched Ringing Noise?"), have had no problems.  Some users have reported problems with the Unified XONAR® Software, Releases 1.6x (C-Media® CMI8000-Series Driver Package 7.12.8.18nn), under Windows® 6.0.600x, 6.1.760x and 7.0.800x with the Essence STX; don't know whether a FIX RELEASED is now available in Windows® 8.0.9000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back