The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Feb 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #4,156 of 5,721
is anyone having the same issue of when you put the computer to sleep, and sometimes, only sometimes when you wake it up, the Essence STX looses its volume. and i mean overall volume is dropped by like some 30db. doesn't matter what volume is you set it to, or gain level, everything just sounds almost silent. only way to fix this is to either restart, or log off and log back on. 

just wondering if this is a driver issue, or that i should return the card and get a new one. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #4,157 of 5,721
Hi

I have my STX connected to my STR 2400ES amp. It's connected via Optical. When I watch Dolby movies the blue light which indicates a dolby signal is being received doesn't light up on the amp. The STX is set to send PCM. Is there any other setting which I should have enabled or disabled to get this to work?

Thanks 

Edit - NVM seems using 2 channels on the amp doesn't light the indicator. As long as LPCM is showing it is apparently still receiving a dolby source.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #4,158 of 5,721
So I'm not understanding this ASIO stuff from this link: http://www.head-fi.org/products/asus-xonar-essence-stx-virtual-7-1-channels-pci-express-interface-124-db-snr-headphone-amp-card#wiki

Do you have to install the plugin separately into foobar or does the Uni Xonar drivers already include them?

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #4,159 of 5,721
Hi, is anybody else  experiencing a pop when you start playing a sound (music, video, it doesn't really matter). It happens most of the time, but not always. Sometimes  it's very loud and it's starting to bother me.

Thanks for any help.

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #4,160 of 5,721
Quote:
Hi, is anybody else  experiencing a pop when you start playing a sound (music, video, it doesn't really matter). It happens most of the time, but not always. Sometimes  it's very loud and it's starting to bother me.

Thanks for any help.

No, I never had even a hint of that.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #4,161 of 5,721
Quote:
I have my STX connected to my STR 2400ES amp. It's connected via Optical. When I watch Dolby movies the blue light which indicates a Dolby signal is being received doesn't light up on the amp. The STX is set to send PCM. Is there any other setting which I should have enabled or disabled to get this to work?
Edit - NVM seems using 2 channels on the amp doesn't light the indicator. As long as LPCM is showing it is apparently still receiving a Dolby source.

How many speakers are connected to the Sony?

STX output setting for receiver/speaker 5.1
Audio channels  6
Sample Rate   24/96
Audio Out   2-speaker
S/PDIF enabled, set to Dolby Digital live (DDL).

PCM is 2-channel (which is fine for 2.0 or 2.1 analog speaker)
Dolby Digital live (DDL) is up to 6-channels (5.1) of compressed audio.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #4,162 of 5,721
Quote:
is anyone having the same issue of when you put the computer to sleep, and sometimes, only sometimes when you wake it up, the Essence STX looses its volume. and i mean overall volume is dropped by like some 30db. doesn't matter what volume is you set it to, or gain level, everything just sounds almost silent. only way to fix this is to either restart, or log off and log back on. 

just wondering if this is a driver issue, or that i should return the card and get a new one. 

so no one has this issue at all? am i the only one?

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #4,164 of 5,721
Quote:
What drivers are you using?

i am using the latest Asus driver from their website. i am hesitant to use the Unified driver since it's not official. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #4,165 of 5,721
Quote:
So I'm not understanding this ASIO stuff from this link: http://www.head-fi.org/products/asus-xonar-essence-stx-virtual-7-1-channels-pci-express-interface-124-db-snr-headphone-amp-card#wiki

Do you have to install the plugin separately into foobar or does the Uni Xonar drivers already include them?

No one?

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #4,166 of 5,721
hello, is Dolby headphone in Essense STX better than Xear surround headphone ? I currently have Xonar Phoebus and xear surround headphone option is absolutely terrible in my Phoebus ..And I m also not satisfied with the Dolby Home Theater 4 too. so I'm thinking about moving in to STX. can someone please comment on Dolby Headphone, Dolby Virtual Speaker and Dolby Pro-Logic II on STX .. ?

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #4,167 of 5,721
Ok so I have an STX and some HD800 headphones I recently bought. Just didnt quite sound right. Female vocals had a bit of hissing etc. Seemed like others had similar experiences. So I ran a sine wave sweep and noticed around 5400hz and 6800hz had massive spikes for example.

I spent about an hour equalizing and now find music so much more natural. In fact after listening to my equalized profile for awhile on classical guitar then going back to the default setting it sounds so unnatural its amazing.

I have ordered a couple of different op amps to try as well so will be interesting to see if they are more natural than the default ones or whether they require equalizing as well. will report back asap.

Anyway I am now very happy with this combo and am not tempted to get a higher end headphone DAC and amp combination. I might also take some music im used to listening to a HI-FI store down the road that have a High end Amp with the HD800's and let you know how I think it compares to the equalized Xonar STX.

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #4,170 of 5,721
Just read about these Unified drivers.. are they really better than the asus drivers?  I am runnign windows 8 64bit at the moment.  Thx for any info.. What advantages do they have over the Asus drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back