The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Mar 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #4,186 of 5,721
Quote:

It is not really a "bug" (at least not a software problem), but the DAC has a higher noise level when running at 44.1, 88.2, or 176.4 kHz, because of the re-clocking at these sample rates by the C-Media chip. This also applies to other Xonar cards. If you do not actually hear any hiss, then you need not really worry about it, and it might not be worth the trouble of software sample rate conversion to reduce already inaudible noise.

thanks, i guess i'll leave it at 44 as i've never heard any hissing

popping on the other hand though, the SVN is useful but resuming playback comes with a pop - is this unusual?
EDIT: i guess its just an issue caused by SVN as a few others have had similar issues, time to disable it then

That depends on what your headphones are.

HD 650s

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #4,187 of 5,721
It is not really a "bug" (at least not a software problem), but the DAC has a higher noise level when running at 44.1, 88.2, or 176.4 kHz, because of the re-clocking at these sample rates by the C-Media chip. This also applies to other Xonar cards. If you do not actually hear any hiss, then you need not really worry about it, and it might not be worth the trouble of software sample rate conversion to reduce already inaudible noise.

That depends on what your headphones are. Do you have some very sensitive model ? Also, check the mixer settings, and make sure that the volume is not boosted by anything (particularly the "left" and "right" controls, which should be left at the default 76% level).

Hmm, that might explain one issue I had with one headphone where it was hissing unreasonably much

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #4,188 of 5,721
Quote:
That depends on what your headphones are. Do you have some very sensitive model ? Also, check the mixer settings, and make sure that the volume is not boosted by anything (particularly the "left" and "right" controls, which should be left at the default 76% level).

yep it was at default 76%. afaik its just a standard pair of HD650s but even on the lowest gain i have to keep the audio in windows around 5-7% before it starts getting uncomfortable. if i take the cans off and notch it up to 100% i can hear everything blaring out of em, could rip through ear drums.

so i could keep the status quo, or turn down the 76% setting in the xonar mixer to around 5% and raise windows level much higher. but its the same thing isnt it

if anyone else the same setup (stx and hd650s) i would appreciate your input. what volume levels are comfortable and too loud for you?

cheers

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #4,189 of 5,721
Quote:
yep it was at default 76%. afaik its just a standard pair of HD650s but even on the lowest gain i have to keep the audio in windows around 5-7% before it starts getting uncomfortable.

There are three volume controls, the "Left/Right" that should be 76%, the "Wave" control on the left, and the main volume control (the large knob at the top right). These and the gain setting together determine the volume. The main volume control seems to be linear, so if you use that to set the volume while "Wave" is at 100%, then it will get loud at a relatively low setting because of how humans perceive volume.

You may also want to check if all DSP, EQ, SVN, Dolby Headphone, etc. are disabled, as some of these could also make the sound louder overall.

Quote:

44.1 kHz is probably fine then. It is still recommended to set the Windows audio output resolution to 24 bits, as it minimizes noise from the software volume control, and it does not have any real disadvantage.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #4,191 of 5,721
Those are the same settings I see on my install.  Never had more than just left and right channel to select.

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #4,193 of 5,721
Created an account for a bit of troubleshooting. Bought a Xonar STX for gaming, and there seems to be an issue with the Headphone connection. Basically, left audio comes out about 20-30% louder, or rather right audio is 20-30% quieter.

- Fiddling with the mixer doesn't compensate very well, and I don't think I should have to be right out of the box.
- I've confirmed its not the headphones (Beyer DT990) as A): these work perfectly with a Fiio E10, B): connecting them to the left/right splitter and plugging those in, changing the settings to '2 speakers' does not cause the same issue, and C): the issue is replicated connecting the only other headphones I have, some earbuds to the 6.3mm adaptor, and again left far louder, right far quieter. 

Is there likely to be a software conflict anywhere, or is this just a straight up defect in the headphone connection?

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #4,194 of 5,721
Ok, just a question for anyone using the STX with a AKG K701/2 in their setup, or a similar headphone (bright). Which op-amps are you using? I'm looking to replace the stock ones, both in the RCA output buffer and the two for headphone out. What I want is a plain out improvement of the sound. I'm not going to replace the op-amps if I gain one thing, and lose something else, etc.  

So, which op-amp will improve on the stock ones in a way that will elevate the sound quality up overall? I want an audible increase in sound resolution, detail, clarity, separation, etc. I'd like to keep the sound signature as neutral as possible, with possibly slightly more bass and smoother highs, but in no way do I want to lose the soundstage.

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #4,195 of 5,721
Quote:
Created an account for a bit of troubleshooting. Bought a Xonar STX for gaming, and there seems to be an issue with the Headphone connection. Basically, left audio comes out about 20-30% louder, or rather right audio is 20-30% quieter.

- Fiddling with the mixer doesn't compensate very well, and I don't think I should have to be right out of the box.
- I've confirmed its not the headphones (Beyer DT990) as A): these work perfectly with a Fiio E10, B): connecting them to the left/right splitter and plugging those in, changing the settings to '2 speakers' does not cause the same issue, and C): the issue is replicated connecting the only other headphones I have, some earbuds to the 6.3mm adaptor, and again left far louder, right far quieter. 

Is there likely to be a software conflict anywhere, or is this just a straight up defect in the headphone connection?

I would take it back if at all possible as the card is defective.

If you can't take it back for some reason  I would say that there is a problem either with the resistors in the output network or in the feedback network. The gain of the headphone amp is fixed at 4x voltage gain over the line out. if one of the resistors is shorted or the other is open in the feedback network the gain will be lower than normal on that channel as in unity gain. this would yield the approximate 30 - 40 % volume difference as is takes a reduction of 10x the power to reach 50% perceived volume. A difference of 4x voltage = 8x power which is less than the 10x required for a 50% perceived reduction in volume

If it is in the output they may have had a 100 ohm resistor where a 10 ohm resistor should have been. in this case the volume difference would be smaller with higher impedance phones & nonexistent with driving an amp from the headphone jack, though not recommended in normal practice it would be a good test of this theory.

It could be a broken and oxidized connection at the headphone jack but not likely on a brand new out of the box card. In this case wiggling the connector would generate static noise & sudden changes in volume. If this occures when wiggling headphone plug the jack needs to be resoldered ..

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #4,196 of 5,721
I have a ASUS Xonar D1 soundcard on my computer, and now I'm thinking to buy a Xonar Essence STX.  Who knos if I can use both soundcards, or shall i put just one on my computer?
It will be driver compatile D1 with STX soundcard?
Please advice me to choose better combination.

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #4,197 of 5,721
Quote:
I have a ASUS Xonar D1 soundcard on my computer, and now I'm thinking to buy a Xonar Essence STX.  Who knos if I can use both soundcards, or shall i put just one on my computer?
It will be driver compatile D1 with STX soundcard?
Please advice me to choose better combination.

If you get the STX, throw the D1 out.

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #4,198 of 5,721
Hi, I'm new here. I joined because I just purchased an Xonar STX and a pair of Ultrasone 580's to pair with it.  I'm wondering what op amps and op amp setup would be best for the 580's I have and an all around ecclectic taste of music. I listen to anything anywhere from Norah Jones, to Crystal Method, to Nirvana, even a little bit of rap/hiphop from time to time. TIA

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #4,200 of 5,721

Users who are viewing this thread

Back