The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Aug 31, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #3,601 of 5,721
Quote:
Yeah I already matched my impedance to the correct setting. It is a bit louder but still nowhere near as loud as it should be.

Check the mixer settings:

- set "Wave" to the maximum
- "LEFT" and "RIGHT" should be at exactly 76% (that is the default setting, too)
- make sure that none of the buttons at the bottom right are turned on; disable any other DSP effects as well
- use the large dial at the top right to increase volume if necessary
- set the already mentioned gain to the highest "600 Ohm" mode
- not related to the volume problem, but use 44100 Hz/24-bit mode (in the Xonar Audio Center and the Windows audio configuration) for music playback to avoid sample rate conversion and 16-bit digital volume control

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #3,602 of 5,721
Quote:

Check the mixer settings:

- set "Wave" to the maximum
- "LEFT" and "RIGHT" should be at exactly 76% (that is the default setting, too)
- make sure that none of the buttons at the bottom right are turned on; disable any other DSP effects as well
- use the large dial at the top right to increase volume if necessary
- set the already mentioned gain to the highest "600 Ohm" mode
- not related to the volume problem, but use 48000 Hz/24-bit mode (in the Xonar Audio Center and the Windows audio configuration) for music playback to avoid sample rate conversion and 16-bit digital volume control

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #3,603 of 5,721
With the HD650, the 44100 Hz noise problem is not likely to be audible, so it may make sense to choose it over sample rate conversion. That is, of course, assuming that it is mostly 44100 Hz material (such as audio ripped from CDs) that will be played back.

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #3,604 of 5,721
Quote:
With the HD650, the 44100 Hz noise problem is not likely to be audible, so it may make sense to choose it over sample rate conversion. That is, of course, assuming that it is mostly 44100 Hz material (such as audio ripped from CDs) that will be played back.

Thanks for the help. I'll try those settings as soon as I get a chance. I'm out of town for labor day right now so I'll report back as soon as I can.

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #3,605 of 5,721
What's a good dual opamp upgrade for I/V and differential section? 

How much improvement can I hear:

using a power supply mod. What PS mod?
in 44.1kHz music with a good XO and which XO?
removing the output caps?
changing caps to film?

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #3,606 of 5,721
I recently put a new computer together and bought the Essence STX with it hoping to get an upgrade from the Realtek 898 in my mobo.

While it did produce some seriously sweet sounds and had a lot of power, I found its presentation of those sounds to be really flat and blended, as well as a bit too bright. The thing just didn't like my AKG headphones at all. My HD560, which are bright for Sennheiser's, did not benefit either. I also feel that it still wasn't managing to drive the K400 properly, even though I couldn't raise the volume past 22 on medium gain; the K400 requires a bit more power than the K701. The STX also reveals all of the terrible distortion that's comes with the Sony CMT-A70, which have 10% THD.

Believe it or not, the Realtek 898 [which has an actual SNR of -110db in my Asrock Extreme 4 mobo] has a much nicer presentation with headphones than the stock opamp STX did. Although I'm sure replacing the opamp's in the I/V with the LME49720NA would give me the presentation I'm looking for, I'm just not really willing to play with opamps, since I'm out $170 if I kill something. I'd rather RMA it and spend that on a good amp
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #3,607 of 5,721
Quote:
I recently put a new computer together and bought the Essence STX with it hoping to get an upgrade from the Realtek 898 in my mobo.

While it did produce some seriously sweet sounds and had a lot of power, I found its presentation of those sounds to be really flat and blended, as well as a bit too bright. The thing just didn't like my AKG headphones at all. My HD560, which are bright for Sennheiser's, did not benefit either. I also feel that it still wasn't managing to drive the K400 properly, even though I couldn't raise the volume past 22 on medium gain; the K400 requires a bit more power than the K701. The STX also reveals all of the terrible distortion that's comes with the Sony CMT-A70, which have 10% THD.

Believe it or not, the Realtek 898 [which has an actual SNR of -110db in my Asrock Extreme 4 mobo] has a much nicer presentation with headphones than the stock opamp STX did. Although I'm sure replacing the opamp's in the I/V with the LME49720NA would give me the presentation I'm looking for, I'm just not really willing to play with opamps, since I'm out $170 if I kill something. I'd rather RMA it and spend that on a good amp
biggrin.gif

Did you disable the on-board audio while using the Essence STX?
Try the "Unified Xonar Driver" at the website Brainbit.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #3,608 of 5,721
I disabled on-board audio in the Asrock bios [it was under southbridge] before opening up my computer and installing it. I also placed the soundcard in PCI-E3, which is furthest away from the HD6850 which was in the PCI-E1 slot. I didn't try the Unified Xonar Driver though; would asus's 2011 drivers really cause that kind of a flat, unseparated presentation? I presumed that an opamp swap was the only way to fix it.

It could be a number of things, my psu is a cheap Corsair CX600V2, which maybe isn't supplying clean -or constant- enough power to the amp. Aside from the bass distortion, the quality it brought out of my speakers was excellent.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #3,609 of 5,721
Quote:
I disabled on-board audio in the Asrock bios [it was under southbridge] before opening up my computer and installing it. I also placed the soundcard in PCI-E3, which is furthest away from the HD6850 which was in the PCI-E1 slot. I didn't try the Unified Xonar Driver though; would asus's 2011 drivers really cause that kind of a flat, unseparated presentation? I presumed that an opamp swap was the only way to fix it.

It could be a number of things, my psu is a cheap Corsair CX600V2, which maybe isn't supplying clean -or constant- enough power to the amp. Aside from the bass distortion, the quality it brought out of my speakers was excellent.

I use an Antec® TruePower 750 Blue in my Asus® CM1630-06, which packs two Asus® cards: an EAH6850 DirectCU® video card in the x16 slot and a XONAR® STX in the x1 slot.  Insufficient power availability at the primary +12VDC rail (which supplies the hard disc and optical drives with motor voltage) will have a detrimental effect on the analog outputs.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #3,610 of 5,721
Quote:
I disabled on-board audio in the Asrock bios [it was under southbridge] before opening up my computer and installing it. I also placed the sound card in PCI-E3, which is furthest away from the HD6850 which was in the PCI-E1 slot. I didn't try the Unified Xonar Driver though; would asus's 2011 drivers really cause that kind of a flat, unseparated presentation? I presumed that an op-amp swap was the only way to fix it.

Most seem to like the Unified Xonar Drivers.
Asus may not take advantage of all possible ways of improving their drivers for reasons like stability.
Where as Brainbit can get away with taking more risks.
Anyway, it's free for you to try the Unified Xonar Drivers.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #3,611 of 5,721
Thanks for the advice guys, it's most likely insufficient power on the +12VDC rail. The Corsair CX600V2 is rated 40A on that rail; my Gigabyte HD6850OC requires 34 amps and I have an SSD, HDD, Bluray drive and dvd burner that pull from it, along with card reader's and other mobo peripherals -such as multiple upgraded fans. I don't think I'll get the performance this card is really capable of with my current psu. I can no longer RMA the psu and can't afford to buy a more expensive one at this point.

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #3,612 of 5,721
Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys, it's most likely insufficient power on the +12VDC rail. The Corsair CX600V2 is rated 40A on that rail; my Gigabyte HD6850OC requires 34 amps and I have an SSD, HDD, Bluray drive and dvd burner that pull from it, along with card reader's and other mobo peripherals -such as multiple upgraded fans. I don't think I'll get the performance this card is really capable of with my current psu. I can no longer RMA the psu and can't afford to buy a more expensive one at this point.

Highly possible.

Also on the opamps, THS4032 or LME49990. the LME49720 and LME49860 are both flawed.

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #3,613 of 5,721
I doubt it's the PSU, I have a HX850 that runs an overclocked Phenom II 1090T, 4x2GB of RAM, overclocked HD5870, 3 SATA drives and 2 SAS drives with a SAS controller, 6 case fans.
And your card doesn't pull 34A all the time so in idle you don't even come close to put a strain on the PSU. Hell that PSU could run my PC with no problems at all.
Quote:

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #3,615 of 5,721
It's not the PSU. Xonar is just a slightly overrated piece of equipment. It really lacks a lot of texture (sounds flat, especially with my hd650) and changing opamps will not change that. Good points to it are an excellent frequency response and a great dynamic range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back