The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Sep 5, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #3,616 of 5,721
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I don't feel like going through 240 pages...

I noticed that there are two places to set the sample rate: In the playback devices properties in Windows, where it gives 8 choices of varying bit depths and sample rates, and in the Xonar Audio Center, where I can only seem to find how to change sample rate but not bit depth.

What is my sound actually getting played at? I'm guessing it's the Xonar Audio Center, but then where can I set bit depth? Should I even be setting bit depth in the first place(is it at 16 for games? can't seem to find this anywhere...)?

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #3,617 of 5,721
Quote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I don't feel like going through 240 pages...

I noticed that there are two places to set the sample rate: In the playback devices properties in Windows, where it gives 8 choices of varying bit depths and sample rates, and in the Xonar Audio Center, where I can only seem to find how to change sample rate but not bit depth.

What is my sound actually getting played at? I'm guessing it's the Xonar Audio Center, but then where can I set bit depth? Should I even be setting bit depth in the first place(is it at 16 for games? can't seem to find this anywhere...)?

The bit depth is set in the windows sound proprties as is the sample rate as windows sees it however whatever the sample rate that windows has is converted by the card to whatever the cards sample rate is. There is no advantage to sample rate conversion in windows as no reduction of jitter can be accomplished there. That can only be accomplished by sample rate conversion at the card however either way I doubt seriously you will hear a difference. Do make sure though that whatever your sample rate that windows is set for 24 bit bit depth. this allows volume control that does not lose any quality till it goes well below what you can hear or use by any stretch of the imagination. It may be possible to hear a loss if set to 16 bit however modern DACs do really wellto a point that most people will not be able to hear the loss of quality even at -60db & be just bearly noticable @ -80db

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #3,618 of 5,721
Quote:
 The bit depth is set in the windows sound proprties as is the sample rate as windows sees it however whatever the sample rate that windows has is converted by the card to whatever the cards sample rate is. There is no advantage to sample rate conversion in windows as no reduction of jitter can be accomplished there. That can only be accomplished by sample rate conversion at the card however either way I doubt seriously you will hear a difference. Do make sure though that whatever your sample rate that windows is set for 24 bit bit depth. this allows volume control that does not lose any quality till it goes well below what you can hear or use by any stretch of the imagination. It may be possible to hear a loss if set to 16 bit however modern DACs do really wellto a point that most people will not be able to hear the loss of quality even at -60db & be just bearly noticable @ -80db

I'm a little confused by your first sentence... If I want 48K sample rate do I have to set it in both Windows and with the card's program? Otherwise the card will convert it again to whatever it is set to if I'm understanding you correctly? I notice there really isn't much of a difference that I can notice yeah, but I like to have it match the media I'm using so there are is no unnecessary conversion going on.

But I'll make sure to always set it at 24 bit... thank you for the advice.

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #3,619 of 5,721
Quote:
It's not the PSU. Xonar is just a slightly overrated piece of equipment. It really lacks a lot of texture (sounds flat, especially with my hd650) and changing opamps will not change that. Good points to it are an excellent frequency response and a great dynamic range.

Edit: my card sounded terrible because I had it plugged into my 200mm case fans 4-pin power connector. After trying to clean out the old drivers with driver fusion I couldn't get to the uni drivers to install in Windows 7 x64 test mode and sig bypass, though its fine for now -I'm happily in love with the sounds its producing.

Sounds pretty wide and open, and at times appears to image behind me with some instruments. I'm definitely getting the depth and instrument separation that I wasn't before, and there is no longer anything missing in the sound. It's just a ton cleaner than the Realtek 898.

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #3,620 of 5,721
Quote:

I'm a little confused by your first sentence... If I want 48K sample rate do I have to set it in both Windows and with the card's program? Otherwise the card will convert it again to whatever it is set to if I'm understanding you correctly? I notice there really isn't much of a difference that I can notice yeah, but I like to have it match the media I'm using so there are is no unnecessary conversion going on.

But I'll make sure to always set it at 24 bit... thank you for the advice.

The answer to your question is yes you need to set both to the sample rate your media is unless you use a program that uses ASIO or WASAPI. then just set the cards ample rate to be sure. WASAPI will only play supported sample rates so likely no conversion takes place. ASIO will play any sample rate but may convert sample rates that are not directly supported by card, in other words 88.2 & 176.4 sample rates may still be converted to a supported sample rate in ASIO though not entirely sure of that.

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #3,622 of 5,721
Finally got around to swapping some opamps. 

My favorite pic is the 2137. Slightly smoother treble on the top. Midrange slightly drawn back. Bass is extremely tight and airy. Very well controlled. It's a perfect chip for warmer headphones (like the MA900 from sony that I just got :) )

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #3,623 of 5,721
OPA1612 OP amp question? 

I've read a few posts that people are using a OPA1612 in the buffer, aka "Right and Left channel differential to single end". Can this chip also be used in the two I/V converter slots on the Asus Xonar Essence STX?

I ordered three OPA1612's and some 8-SOIC TO 8-DIP adapters
and figured I'd try them, but don't want to burn up my card if I wrongly place
them in the two I/V converter slots

Specs:  http://www.ti.com/product/opa1612
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa1612.pdf

I'm currently using three LME49722's with 8-SOIC TO 8-DIP adapters
and they sound awesome.

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #3,624 of 5,721
Quote:
Finally got around to swapping some opamps. 

My favorite pic is the 2137. Slightly smoother treble on the top. Midrange slightly drawn back. Bass is extremely tight and airy. Very well controlled. It's a perfect chip for warmer headphones (like the MA900 from sony that I just got :) )

How do you compare the mA900 to HD650? Especially in overall resolution of the sound and soundstage size.

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #3,625 of 5,721
Quote:

How do you compare the mA900 to HD650? Especially in overall resolution of the sound and soundstage size.

Interesting question. I'd say the MA900 are definitely more open. Kind of a mix between the K701 and HD650. However, from memory, the HD650 are a more clear headphone through the midrange. The MA900 have a hint of a veil, and a little more control in the bass. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #3,626 of 5,721
I have a quick question. I just got a Schiit Lyr to power my LCD-2 as the Essence ST isn't really doing it for me.

My question is if I should hook the Essence ST to the Lyr via the RCA or the Headphone output via a RCA to jack? Which will be most optimal?

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #3,627 of 5,721
Quote:
I have a quick question. I just got a Schiit Lyr to power my LCD-2 as the Essence ST isn't really doing it for me.

My question is if I should hook the Essence ST to the Lyr via the RCA or the Headphone output via a RCA to jack? Which will be most optimal?

Never use headphone output to connect to another amp.  Always use the RCA outputs on the card, and in the driver setup panel set the output as front speakers.

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #3,628 of 5,721
Quote:

Never use headphone output to connect to another amp.  Always use the RCA outputs on the card, and in the driver setup panel set the output as front speakers.

But I also have a NAD T765 which is hooked up to some really nice speakers. Will it be bad if I then use the headphone out to the NAD receiver?

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #3,629 of 5,721
Quote:
But I also have a NAD T765 which is hooked up to some really nice speakers. Will it be bad if I then use the headphone out to the NAD receiver?

Well, a headphone out is a headphone out, its not designed to be a line out. Try, but I would not do it that way.

Sep 8, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #3,630 of 5,721
Hey guys,

Loving this thread! I decided to get some new opamps for my ST card and found a place where i can order some, but i'm getting multiple hits with different specs on some of the parts.

I.e. I'm looking at a 2x LME49720NA and LM6172IN combo. With respect to LME49720NA  i'm getting two hits at Farnells site. Can someone tell me which one is the "right" one or if they are the same?

http://uk.farnell.com/national-semiconductor/lme49720na-nopb/op-amp-audio-17vin-55mhz-8dip/dp/2102668
http://uk.farnell.com/national-semiconductor/lme49720na-nopb/ic-audio-op-amp-55mhz-dip-8/dp/1694587

Cheers!
Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back