The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Aug 25, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #3,586 of 5,721
On the Xonar Audio Center under the main button select headphone go over to the second icon (looks like a hammer) and click.  Change the impedance match from the default to the impedance of your phones. Try that.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #3,587 of 5,721
Quote:
On the Xonar Audio Center under the main button select headphone go over to the second icon (looks like a hammer) and click.  Change the impedance match from the default to the impedance of your phones. Try that.

Yeah I already matched my impedance to the correct setting. It is a bit louder but still nowhere near as loud as it should be.

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #3,589 of 5,721
Quote:
Hi guys,

I recently purchased the Xonar Essence STX for my new computer and have installed the drivers for it. I am using HD650s in the back headphone jack and the sound output is extremely low even at the highest audio gain setting. When I plug the headphones into the motherboard sound output jack they are actually quite louder than when plugged into the sound card.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

So, I'm assuming the on-board audio is enabled while the Essence STX is installed at the same time?
Try disabling on-board audio, in the bios.
Then install the "Unified Xonar Driver" at the Brainbit website.
And get the program foobar for audio (music).
See if any of that helps.

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #3,590 of 5,721
Is the STX able to send sound / output to multiple outputs at once? I would like to be able to send a signal to a Behringer A500 to power some Buttkickers and, at the same time, send sound to either an AV receiver (to listen through a 5.1 speaker setup) or to a JDS Labs Objective 2 amp (to listen to through headphones). Could I send different signals through different outputs (e.g., send music to headphones and game through the 5.1 speakers?

Also, do I even need to use the O2 amp? I'm using Beyerdynamicz DT 990 600 ohm headphones.

Currently, I'm running mutil-channel analog for games from my on board MB (Asus Maximus V Gene) to my AV Receiver and 5.1 speakers, and sending music to an Asus U3 USB soundcard to the O2 Amp and the DT 990's (or running everything to the U3 and Dolby Headphone if my wife is trying to sleep).

Will the STX will produce much better music quality than the U3 or about the same?

Thanks in advance!!!

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #3,593 of 5,721
Quote:
Haven't gotten them hooked up yet :p but will let you know as soon as I do
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. I can't believe they discontinued them, seemed like a top-shelf idea that anyone with headphones might make use of.

Also I had the DT990 600ohm this month for a week powered by my Essence XT amp, seemed to be a damn good combo, though I could say the volume could have gone a little higher and it felt like the bass wasn't full where it should be, could just be the cans. They seemed pretty smooth though, good cans, just not for me.

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #3,594 of 5,721
Quote:
Is the STX able to send sound / output to multiple outputs at once? I would like to be able to send a signal to a Behringer A500 to power some Buttkickers and, at the same time, send sound to either an AV receiver (to listen through a 5.1 speaker setup) or to a JDS Labs Objective 2 amp (to listen to through headphones). Could I send different signals through different outputs (e.g., send music to headphones and game through the 5.1 speakers?
Also, do I even need to use the O2 amp? I'm using Beyerdynamicz DT 990 600 ohm headphones.
Currently, I'm running mutil-channel analog for games from my on board MB (Asus Maximus V Gene) to my AV Receiver and 5.1 speakers, and sending music to an Asus U3 USB soundcard to the O2 Amp and the DT 990's (or running everything to the U3 and Dolby Headphone if my wife is trying to sleep).

Will the STX will produce much better music quality than the U3 or about the same?
Thanks in advance!!!

The XONAR® Essence STX can send simultaneously to one of its three Analog Outs (relay-controlled) and the Digital Out.  Under Microsoft® Windows® 6.0-up, the STX can transmit either PCM (which I use for daisy-chaining to my LinUX box's Creative Laboratories® SB0350 PCI audio card, via the SB0250 I/O Drive's Digital In) or Dolby® Digital Live (used to feed multichannel sound to a surround decoder/processor and its associated amplifiers, or alternately a home-theatre receiver).  The dual-RCA analog out ("2 Speakers") will drive an external stereo amplifier or receiver.

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #3,595 of 5,721
Quote:
Try using the 7.1 virtual speaker shifter option

What?! No, that will just degrade quality like a champion.

Quote:
Thanks in advance!!!

Much, much, much better.

Quote:
Why don't you like the AD797's, WiR3d? 

Treble makes my ears bleed with AKG K242hd, and the odds are high they are oscillating - which means they will eventually die.

Quote:
From the impedance graphs it looks like output impedance does make a difference with the AKG K24x/K27x 55 Ω drivers, more so in fact than with the Denons. But you probably do not like the sub-bass boost of the Denons, and want to minimize it in any possible way, while the bass response of the AKG's is less objectionable to you with or without the small extra boost from under-damping.

Did not even think that far, that is highly possible. Then again AKGs in general have always needed some colouration for musicality, so the odds are its helping.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #3,597 of 5,721
Quote:
I am sorry for asking it here but have you ever tried the Essence One? What are your impressions, is it worth an upgrade?

Sorry have not, there is a thread for it.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #3,598 of 5,721
Quote:
So, I'm assuming the on-board audio is enabled while the Essence STX is installed at the same time?
Try disabling on-board audio, in the bios.
Then install the "Unified Xonar Driver" at the Brainbit website.
And get the program foobar for audio (music).
See if any of that helps.

I installed the uni xonar drivers and am getting no sound output of any kind. Are you supposed to install the uni xonar drivers on top of the existing ASUS drivers? I uninstalled the asus drivers first completely and then installed the uni ones. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #3,599 of 5,721
Quote:
I installed the uni xonar drivers and am getting no sound output of any kind. Are you supposed to install the uni xonar drivers on top of the existing ASUS drivers? I uninstalled the asus drivers first completely and then installed the uni ones. 

I personally just install the Unified drivers over the Asus ones.
Maybe you should uninstall all Asus/Unified drivers then do a fresh reinstall the drivers.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #3,600 of 5,721
Quote:

You do not need the O2 for those headphones. It has the most advantage over the built-in TPA6120 with low impedance headphones and IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back