The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Dec 18, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #1,096 of 5,721
So I tried the line-out with the new op-amps as some people had suggested. Here are my observations in brief.

LM4562 buffer, 2*LT1358 I/V
Airier and smoother than the headphone out but the difference is not huge. What is huge is the sheer lack of bass from this setup. Some may say it is because of the high impedance of the line-out which is having trouble driving my low-impedance phones. Wait till your read the next part.

LT1364 buffer, 2*LT1358 I/V
I chose LT1364 because it was brighter than the other op-amps I have (besides LM4562). I found LM4562 to be aptly extended in the highs but lacking in bass and it's impact, so this was a natural choice. And what an effect this change had! Beautifully airy sound while keeping all the positive aspects of LT1358 which I have come to appreciate. Bass is back and is well controlled and ample in quantity, even from AD700s.
The best thing is how wind instruments and vocals sound from this setup - just breathtaking. The subtle changes in the wind columns and resonances are just astonishingly clear. This is very evident on A/Bing with the HP-out. I think this settles the dispute on whether HP-out is better or line-out, for me.

One more thing about the HP-out which I have observed for a long time but it never bothered me enough until I moved to this setup - it electrifies the notes
biggrin.gif
. It feels like it has just artificially brightened up the ends of notes being played, giving them extra sizzle. Besides this, it also smears some notes in the mid-range making them sound rougher, which can sound organic if not for the extra sizzle on brighter notes accompanying it. I hope I am making sense.

However, the HP-out still has some use for me. The reason is the difference in sound signature that it presents. I thoroughly enjoy acoustic and mid-centric music with the HP-out because of it's warm nature, compared to the current line-out setup. The line-out has slightly recessed mids in comparison and works well for classical and rock.

Will post more impressions later, if you guys are willing to be bored a bit more.
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #1,098 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by manuvajpai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I tried the line-out with the new op-amps as some people had suggested. Here are my observations in brief.

LM4562 buffer, 2*LT1358 I/V
Airier and smoother than the headphone out but the difference is not huge. What is huge is the sheer lack of bass from this setup. Some may say it is because of the high impedance of the line-out which is having trouble driving my low-impedance phones. Wait till your read the next part.

LT1364 buffer, 2*LT1358 I/V
I chose LT1364 because it was brighter than the other op-amps I have (besides LM4562). I found LM4562 to be aptly extended in the highs but lacking in bass and it's impact, so this was a natural choice. And what an effect this change had! Beautifully airy sound while keeping all the positive aspects of LT1358 which I have come to appreciate. Bass is back and is well controlled and ample in quantity, even from AD700s.
The best thing is how wind instruments and vocals sound from this setup - just breathtaking. The subtle changes in the wind columns and resonances are just astonishingly clear. This is very evident on A/Bing with the HP-out. I think this settles the dispute on whether HP-out is better or line-out, for me.

One more thing about the HP-out which I have observed for a long time but it never bothered me enough until I moved to this setup - it electrifies the notes
biggrin.gif
. It feels like it has just artificially brightened up the ends of notes being played, giving them extra sizzle. Besides this, it also smears some notes in the mid-range making them sound rougher, which can sound organic if not for the extra sizzle on brighter notes accompanying it. I hope I am making sense.

However, the HP-out still has some use for me. The reason is the difference in sound signature that it presents. I thoroughly enjoy acoustic and mid-centric music with the HP-out because of it's warm nature, compared to the current line-out setup. The line-out has slightly recessed mids in comparison and works well for classical and rock.

Will post more impressions later, if you guys are willing to be bored a bit more.
biggrin.gif

Some opamps will meld better with the headphone amplifier then others.
There are users that go with the onboard amp, some that use the line out and some that use an external amplifier. Careful, opamps get to be a hobby very quickly.

Dec 18, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #1,099 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some opamps will meld better with the headphone amplifier then others.

Yeah! I noticed that with LT1358. Worked like a charm with minor loss in detail. Nice and lukewarm setup.

Quote:

Careful, opamps get to be a hobby very quickly.

I am thinking of getting more ^_^

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #1,101 of 5,721
Quote:

Yeah! I noticed that with LT1358. Worked like a charm with minor loss in detail. Nice and lukewarm setup.

Great, if the work good for your setup. I didn't mind these ones but prefered others much more.
Quote:

I am thinking of getting more ^_^

There are many great units out there. Happy testing.

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #1,104 of 5,721
Hi everyone :)
It's been quite sometime since my first and last three posts in the sneak peak thread,
and now I'm back with some questions.

I've read about half of the thread seeking to find the signature of each OpAmps everyone is using. It seems like LME49720NA, LME49710HA, and LT1358 are good choices for my listening preference, which is leaned towards sparkling details, treble, vocal presentation, and wide soundstage; and I don't put much emphasis on bass. Still, I'm not quite certain among these choices since people tend to compare LMEs to LMEs, and LTs to LTs, but not across the species.

Therefore I'd appreciate any advice given to me regarding this point. Or maybe convince me to another OpAmp that suits my preference above. But as far as I've read, I think those 3 sound popular.

BTW, my setup is exclusively speakers (Klipsch ProMedia GMX-A2.1)

PS. Will dual 710HAs force the shield to be removed? I know it does nothing but fries the components, but can't help myself thinking that the black aluminium plate looks so cool and feel reluctant to have it put away :p

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #1,105 of 5,721
Quote:

Depends on what type of signature you like.

I'm not quite sure I'd want to change the signature with the A5's at all, I'm just looking for more resolution and more fluidity in its representation... more tube like I suppose

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #1,106 of 5,721
It has been quite awhile since I used the Essence cards. These cards have a very Tubish sound on their own IMO. You may get a more valve like response form the LT1057's...
I would just suggest trying the ones you have one hand and find the best mixture with the Dual LME49710HA.
How do you like that one?
If your looking for more resolution you may want to move way from the warmer opamps.
I frown at giving opamps recomendation because everybody has such different tastes, in sound,

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #1,107 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by exFictitiouZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone :)
It's been quite sometime since my first and last three posts in the sneak peak thread,
and now I'm back with some questions.

I've read about half of the thread seeking to find the signature of each OpAmps everyone is using. It seems like LME49720NA, LME49710HA, and LT1358 are good choices for my listening preference, which is leaned towards sparkling details, treble, vocal presentation, and wide soundstage; and I don't put much emphasis on bass. Still, I'm not quite certain among these choices since people tend to compare LMEs to LMEs, and LTs to LTs, but not across the species.

Therefore I'd appreciate any advice given to me regarding this point. Or maybe convince me to another OpAmp that suits my preference above. But as far as I've read, I think those 3 sound popular.

PS. Will dual 710HAs force the shield to be removed? I know it does nothing but fries the components, but can't help myself thinking that the black aluminium plate looks so cool and feel reluctant to have it put away :p

The LME49720HA and LME49710HA are both TO-99 units. WHich means they are small metal can opamps and need adapters to work with any DIP8 equipped soundcard. They are great opamps and many using these cards use some combination using one or both of these units.

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #1,109 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aia.gif

Looks like somebody loves Linear Technology a lot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by exFictitiouZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like LME49720NA, LME49710HA, and LT1358 are good choices for my listening preference, which is leaned towards sparkling details, treble, vocal presentation, and wide soundstage; and I don't put much emphasis on bass. Still, I'm not quite certain among these choices since people tend to compare LMEs to LMEs, and LTs to LTs, but not across the species.

You speakers appear to be very bass oriented. Either of those will work fine for you for that reason. If you find the highs to be a bit piercing then I think LT1358 will be a good choice because of it's slight roll-off in the top-end.

If you are satisfied with the highs then either of the LMEs or LT1364 will be more suited for you. I have compared the signature of LT1364 and LM4562 (which I guess are the same as LME49720NA, someone please back me up here) and found that LM4562 is a bit bass light in comparison. If you are satisfied with the bass currently then LT1364 (if brightness is fine) or LT1358 (if current setup too bright) would be my recommendations.

These are the op-amps I have tried and my recommendations are limited to them. Look out for other suggestions which will give you enough qualitative assessment of your choices.

PS - This post will give you a good comparison between these op-amps. If you ask me to guess I'll say that your speakers are going to be similar to DT990.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3764631-post1502.html

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #1,110 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibertus Jeunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I just replaced the stock JRC I/V opamps by 2xLT1028ACN8 and the sound is now very very low. Can someone enlighten me about this?

IIRC LT1028 are single channel opamps. I am surprised you are getting any sound at all.
Replace them asap to prevent damage to SC.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Kpix
Back