Dec 1, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #1,066 of 5,722
well, talking **** like you do is much faster indeed, kudos for that
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #1,069 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmask5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon.com: AC 110v to 12v 4pin molex Power Adapter: Electronics

Would something like this work well as a separate Power supply for the STX

What some were doing is building separate linear supplies for their STX.
The issue as many say with the PC powers supply is it is a SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) They can be quite noisy compared to a linear supply. If your interested in this you could talk to FZman, he built a separate linear supply for his STX and said it improved the output quality. A few of us have been working on a few ideas for cleaning up power for such tasks. If your interested I will keep you posted.

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #1,070 of 5,722
yeah I am intrested for sure. Although I'd rather just buy something and hook it up as opposed to building it myself.

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #1,071 of 5,722
A few have been working on them behind the scenes.
A couple guys currently use external supplies for their cards and the ideas was mentioned to have a person design one and produce it for those interested.

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #1,072 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmask5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon.com: AC 110v to 12v 4pin molex Power Adapter: Electronics

Would something like this work well as a separate Power supply for the STX

That power supply you linked is working on same principle like one you have in your PC. That`s bad.
DC Power supply like this http://www.luedeke-elektronic.de/ima...ges/2819_0.jpg have superb clear output like power is coming from batteries. There is no any kind of noise at all. That`s why they cost 350 Euro or more 500$.

One crazy idea how to test your power supply quality is to connect your big bass loudspeaker direct on power supply output.
smily_headphones1.gif
But if your output can give more than 1-2A be sure to use variable potentiometer with few Kohms and 25W or more because you can burn your speaker in few sec
smily_headphones1.gif
ha ha
smily_headphones1.gif

but if you are testing supply with a 1-2A 5-12V output that should work without any problems.
smily_headphones1.gif

And if you hear brbrrbrbrbrbrbrb or any noise on your speaker than you know that you have bad power supply. That doesn`t mean it`s bad but doesn`t produce clear output what we need in this case.

But first try to connect your speaker direct on baterry 1.5V or 9V and see what you get and remember. Don`t connect your speaker to high amperage battery like from your car it WILL BURN your speaker in 0.01 sec...
smily_headphones1.gif
and maybe your ears too
smily_headphones1.gif

I prefer 9V battery is best.

p.s. don`t connect battery too long because that`s like short circuit for her. Only few sec is enough
GL
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #1,074 of 5,722
i've spent some time with 2x LT1057CN8#PBF in I/V to eliminate a 'new toy' effect. i'm using the headphone out.

coming from LME49720HA, LT1057 is warmer, less fluid and less transparent. i very much like the bass, it has more volume and impact than 720HA. i though i was listening to other headphones, never heard such bass from K701. soundstage in general is a bit broader, although in some songs i had a feeling it was as wide as 720HA, if not wider. musical involvement is superb, it made me listen more and more, instruments have a nice, pleasing timbre, although the sound of piano was not as present, woody and breathtaking as with 720HA.

LT1057 is by far the cleanest op-amp i've have heard, also the least fatiguing and harsh. with K701 i have always had issues with harsh trumpets and some other instruments but none when using LT1057. great match for bright cans and people who dislike aggressive signature of headphone output. yet the sound is as forward as with 720HA.

judge is still out about 720HA vs LT1057, but i think i'll stick with LT for its pleasing and fatigue-free sound. it somewhat remains me a lot improved stock op-amps.
the only drawbacks i can think of are for my taste too polite piano and the fact that when using line-outs at 100% there was serious oscillation. i'm keeping it at 50%.

Dec 15, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #1,077 of 5,722
Help needed from you guys familiar with the STX card.

I've got a set of Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm headphones, plugged into a Decware CSP2 (with various tubes available), which is plugged into the RCA connections on the card. I quite enjoy this combination!

I've got LM4562NA, LME49720NA, LME4970HA, LT1057 opmaps available to me. I'm mostly pleased with the stock sound of the card as is, but what do you guys recommend to explore opamp sound options?

Also, how do you know which pin to use on which hole with the HAs?

Any insights for all three locations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #1,078 of 5,722
You can try putting the LME49720's in the I/V sockets. -or the LT1057's...
just try different combinations and listen to them for awhile until you find a combination that you really like. I wouldn't advise using the HA's without adapters. If your going to use them, do it properly.

Dec 15, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #1,079 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try putting the LME49720's in the I/V sockets. -or the LT1057's...
just try different combinations and listen to them for awhile until you find a combination that you really like. I wouldn't advise using the HA's without adapters. If your going to use them, do it properly.

Thanks, I'll start there. Input on the third spot (buffer?)?

Yes, I was planning on getting an adapter for the HA, but how do you know which pin is #1? I assume it is the one near the little tabout on the cover?

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #1,080 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by stoutblock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I'll start there. Input on the third spot (buffer?)?

Yes, I was planning on getting an adapter for the HA, but how do you know which pin is #1? I assume it is the one near the little tab out on the cover?

The little tab is pin 8. All adapters for TO-99 opamps are marked with Pin 8 and some have marks for pin 1 and they are quite eay to use. The first pin counterclockwise from the tab is pin 1.

On the card, the two that are side to side (JRC 2114D's) are the differential input I/V section.
The unit forward from this pair (LM4562NA) is the single ended buffer.
Here is a shot of some units I built, using TO-99 modules:
Picture-005.jpg

The forward three are LME49720HA's and the rear unit is a dual LME49710HA module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back